1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sucking sound from gas tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Maramas, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Maramas

Maramas New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2011 Prius, only owned it a couple of months. Today while it was idling I noticed a sucking sound coming from the gas tank. Not constant, sort of a second of suction then a second stopped, and repeat. Thought maybe the gas cap wasn't on right, opened it and closed it again, then finished driving where I was going to monitor it. The sound continued until I turned the car off. Went to try it later in the day and there was no sound, but I don't exactly trust that it's a non-problem yet.

Has anyone encountered this or have ideas about what the problem could be? A quick Google has not turned up much, though I could be using the wrong terms.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! see if you can record it and post hear. doesn't ring a bell. how many fuel bars do you have?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! The perfect place to learn everything you'll ever need to know about your Prius. When I first got my Prius two years ago, I quickly got used to all the new sounds it made, either as I got it into "READY" mode, as I drove it, and after it stopped. Various "whirrs", "clicks" and "groans" - you get used to them all - I could understand a "sucking" sound from the gas-tank if the car had been a "gas-guzzler", but I would have thought that a "sipping" sound would have been more far appropriate for a Prius! :rolleyes:

4. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Based on your description, your gas cap might not be tight or you have a bad gas cap.

iPhone ?

5. Maramas

Maramas New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

Bisco - I had 3 fuel bars, about as low as I like to let it go. Interesting theory, that fuel quantity could be tied to it. I will see if I can get a recording of it, if it keeps happening.

WilDavis - Heh, yes, it does make some different sounds that my Subaru or VW never did.

Sillylilwabbit - I thought the same thing about the gas cap not being on right, but re-doing that didn't seem to help. A new gas cap is a rather small investment, would be nice if that was all it was!

6. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Try removing the cap's rubber seal and flipping it over, use some di-electric grease.

But the thing is, If the cap was sucking in air, it should throw a CEL as it will trigger an emissions related error.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What are temps like in your area? On hot days gas caps might vent, if air pressures get too high in the tank.

#7 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    A side note
    BISCO, do you ever sleep or take some time to go to the bathroom???????
    You have almost 37K posts......

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With a phone you can go to the bathroom and post at the same time...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm using the bathroom right now. sleep is overrated.:p

sfv41901 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Maramas

Maramas New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The phone is also good for posting when you are stuck in waiting rooms seemingly forever. ;)

Update: The sound has not repeated, but now the check engine light is on. Possibly unrelated, though that would be quite a coincidence. Earliest I can get in to get the code read is Monday.

I gassed it up and while I was at it flipped the rubber gasket per DRACO's suggestion - didn't make the sensor light magically disappear, but it doesn't hurt.

The temperatures here are fairly cold, below freezing at night and 30s, maybe low 40s during the day. I've known sudden cold snaps to trip the tire pressure sensor on several cars (including this one).

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check engine can be the gas cap. it takes a few cycles for it to go off. if daco's suggestion doesn't work, you may need a new one, or it could be something else. you would need to check for codes.