1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden Acceleration Verdict Is in - its not a electronic issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by s1njin, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SUA....."hard to stop""".....THAT'S Funny!!! :D

1 person likes this.
  2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish evpv, socalev, and to a much lesser extent 32k, take their one-upmanships OFFLINE. What a bunch of wasted space reading through all that!!!:mad:

1 person likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typical diversionary response by someone whose ox was just gored by the expert reports. Repeat a year-old dead viewpoint while carefully hiding from the new and conflicting NASA Executive Summary -- which was seen, because he quoted from it in a prior posting.

Here is a NASA passage that should help lay the Edmunds article to rest:

[​IMG]

And here is an illustration showing the 'publicity effect' (clipped from WSJ, 7/13/2010) that irreparably contaminates Edmunds' analysis:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. socalev

socalev New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    last comment in this thread unless 32k colors agrees to meet (which would be nice)

Sagebrush. you stated that 32k colors would have no way of know that when i show up to meet him that i'm socalev. I have a way to prove that to him as well.
    let's see if he takes the opportunity to prove himself right or not.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not sure what you're hoping to prove by meeting with me. So what if you show me you're able to log in your own screenname on this site and evpv does the same? It still doesn't prove you and evpv aren't members of the same astroturf group and that you actually don't know each other. As I said, individuals who are actually not what they're accused of are not going to be so loud in wanting to meet up and prove themselves to the community. evpv accused me of working for Toyota even before this thread existed. Do I care? No, because I know who I am and I remind you this is an anonymous message board. Not sure why you're so upset unless I've blown your cover.

6. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    fuzzy, I was referring to 32kcolor's excuse that the number of Unintended Acceleration claims didn't take into account sales volume.

And please, don't exaggerate and extrapolate the NASA study. They didn't test a single Prius. After testing a total of 6 old Camry's they concluded:

"Due to the system complexity which will be described and the many possible hardware and sofware interactions, it is not realistic to "prove" that the ETCS-i cannot cause UAs. Today's vehicles are sufficiently complex that no reasonable amount of analysis or testing can prove electronics and software have no errors. Therefore, absence of proof that the ETCS-i has caused a UA does not vindicate the system." page 20/177

"Because proof that the ETCS-I caused the reported UAs was not found does not mean it could not occur. However, the testing and analysis described in this report did not find that TMC ETCS-I electronics are a likely cause of large throttle openings as described in the VOQs."

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have also used that article to support the wildly exaggerated claim "Toyotas have 10 times higher percentage of unintended acceleration complaints than the next closest manufacturer "
    While you continue to unjustifiably denigrate and dismiss the NHTSA and NASA studies?
    I know, I typed that in myself earlier, back when you were incorrectly exaggerating NASA's position.

Just face it, while it cannot be proven that no other UA mechanisms exist, in Prius, in any Toyota, or even in your latest car that replaces your Prius, neither is there any meaningful evidence that such mechanisms do exist.

1 person likes this.
  8. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As we know,
    There are known knowns.
    There are things we know we know.
    We also know
    There are known unknowns.
    That is to say
    We know there are some things
    We do not know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns,
    The ones we don't know
    We don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld
    —Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense news briefing

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This thread really is quite funny. That recent bar graph posted with the high reports in Feb and March of last year really takes the cake.

Yesterday on CNN Money:

Ignoring analysis, consumer advocates go after Toyota again - Feb. 10, 2011

evpv you're convincing nobody. Of course, we're not convincing you, either. This thread in many ways is a great example of a stupid thread on the internet actually, although its original intent was delivered to all but 1-2 of us which is that we now know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Toyota's electronic throttle system is absolutely safe.

Even when you see that bar graph showing that people are baited by and respond like lemmings to the media with their UA instances you continue to browbeat over what you think is a gremlin playing in the electrical system. This is a faith matter for you now, well beyond science and reason.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank God. Now you're on the same page with everybody else, you just don't want to admit that in any reasonable interpretation of reality Priuses are fine and in the one in a billion scenarios maybe, just maybe if the glint off the moon is right and the stars are aligned just so maybe, maybe, maybe the Priuses electronic system is at fault but anybody of reasonable mind at this point will just chalk up the UA events to driver error and hitting the wrong pedal or otherwise being generally unware of what's going on. A huge percentage of the American population is on prescription drugs at any time, many others drive drunk or sleep deprived so cannot always be trusted.

3 people like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sorry, but these threads are way more fun than 'i don't get the mpg's i used to' or ' what tires do you think i should get'. where's the fun in the same ol questions? you can search those and find a million answers.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Fuzzy, nice post!
    [​IMG]
    If the publicity related spike is removed then Toyota complaints are about 10% of the 'UA' group for 2009-2010, but Toyotas are about 15% of newer cars on the roads in the US. So not only is evpv's assertion that Toyotas are "10X more likely to have a reported UA event than any other manufacturer" hogwash, in fact Toyota does markedly better than the industry as a whole.

And then we have Americans suing Toyota for excessive depreciation, brought on by other Americans too stupid to ignore FUD. Toyota is owed an apology by a lot of people. Lahood can start.

As an aside, this graph likely also shows the rather expected increase in complaints in winter months. Once we exclude conditions and driver stupidity, how much is left when we also recognize many of the remaining events as aggressive traction control events that place a premium on driver control over absolute speed slow-down ?

13. socalev

socalev New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    32k colors
    -- i wasn't going to post.. but you and bisco are so silly i had to.

a) to you and your post...
    -- so now you state only guilty people who are hiding something would like to meet? DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THIS.. TO THE REST OF THE BOARD, WHAT THE HECK IS HE SAYING... DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE? That is a new one.. Usually the thinking is that people that have nothing to hide are willing to step out from behind their keyboards and meet. that is the case with me. I can prove each and every one of your allegations against me as false and that is what i'm offering to do in a fun and friendly way.

MORE importantly to make this fun how about a friendly wager (you pick the amount) on what i will pay you if anything you have said about me is true. So now your honor and reputation and pocket book are on the line. Still want to hide behind your keyboard and not defend your statements. What an opportunity this is for you to prove to your friends how you were right all along?

you wont meet with me, because you are a coward plan and simple. Why else not take this opportunity to take this ultimate prize to your board and show everyone how right you are by meeting me?

Bisco... you now post that these threads are fun and enjoyable for you.

yesterday you demonstrated that you have no class by stating openly that you thought a member couldn't leave soon enough.

immediately then you made a disingenuous statement while accusing my post as disingenuous.

I reminded you then that in addition to being classless that you are a hypocrite for what you were posting and suggested that you slow down and think for a moment before you self destruct further.

Now today a few posts later you say that these are the best threads... you are one sick and twisted person if you relish being classless, thoughtless and a hypocrite?

Seriously. this prius forum has 3-4 self proclaimed leaders that are the first to call people looking at the prius with valid questions trolls, who openly throw out wild accusations, who openly have no class and are not even smart enough to realize that they are hypocrites.

I think the vast majority of the people on these boards are interested in learning, as i was until the accusations from 32K colors became so ridiculous that they become the main topic of conversation

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey! don't take my name in vain pal, i thought we were through. don't get me started!

15. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, in one post 32k is:

- silly
    - classless
    - disingenuous
    - a hypocrite
    - self destructive
    - accusatory
    - not smart
    - ridiculous

This may set a record!

Bisco, you were only:

-silly

Try not to feel left out. :)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i'll hold off on the call to my psychiatrist!:p

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My psychiatrist had to give me a tranquilizer today :hurt:

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at least you didn't self destruct!

19. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    :hurt:

:crazy:

:pound::pound::pound:

20. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's one of the few things you've said that actually makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.