1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden Acceleration Verdict Is in - its not a electronic issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by s1njin, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Arrest Sikes now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am calling CHP today and demand the fraud mongerer be arrested now! I am so glad this is over!

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    evpv

Way back when you said you were looking for information on the matter of the
    alleged condition of "unattended aeleration." on behalf of a "friend."
    Further, you said you were concerned for the safety of your wife and daughter.

You have said that you won't sell your car because you'd loose money.
    The logical inferance is that as little as $10K is more important than your
    loved ones.

Are you still driving your Prius?
    If so, how can you justify your continued failure to act responsibly?

Why don't you contact whoever is conducing a test/investigation of whatever
    Prius system that concerns you and offer/demand that your car be tested.
    Might as well cover all the bases, make the offer/demand on behalf of your
    "friend" as well.

It has been shown that this forum cannot provide what you need.
    It is time for you to take the initiative and personal responsibility and go
    elsewhere to find the kind of certainty that you apparently need so desperately.

3 people like this.
  4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's obvious that some people will not be satisfied that Priuses are safe until every single one on the road is brought in and ripped down to the frame by a team of rocket scientists and automotive geniuses and then rebuilt with a badge of guarantee that unintended acceleration won't happen.

For the rest of us, this report is pretty clear.

There are many, many areas within the human experience in which a person is told something--sometimes a deliberate lie as part of an experiment even--and then when given contrary evidence indicating how purely incorrect their view is they simply latch (har har) onto it stronger.

5. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh Brother! (Disclaimer: Comment directed at this thread in it's entirety, not any specific individual or response...)

6. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not at all. If NASA had tested the Prius then I would trust their results. But they didn't. They tested 6 cars that have very little in common with a Prius.

Unintended Acceleration is a very serious issue. For NASA to say it doesn't exist based on testing 6 Camry's is absurd.

7. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How about starting by testing at least one Prius? Are you honestly saying that testing a Camry is the same as testing a Prius? Do you understand the huge differences between the two vehicles?

8. zdenok

zdenok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you understand that the ETCS-i was the primary target of the investigation and to my best knowledge this system is used also in Prius?

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Probably less than the guys who studied the system for 10 months and said it's ok. Toyota has put themselves on the line consistently saying that they have no problems with their electronic system. I guarantee they have spent literally millions of dollars in man hours ensuring that the system is clean and as part of this they must have found literally zero examples of a Prius that displays SUA. And Toyota has studied Priuses.

US transportation secretary said "no electronic-based cause for unintended high-speed acceleration in Toyotas"

Not "no electronic-based cause for unintended high-speed acceleration in Camrys"

One can assume fairly that the systems must be highly similar between the two cars despite other differences such that confidence in one is confidence in another.

Let's not forget, the ONLY examples of SUA so far have been from a floor mat (which could affect any vehicle in the world) and "maybe" from sticky floor pedals.

---

In the end, you can either trust the judgement of dozens or hundreds of professionals who have pored over the systems, who have put their names and their organization on the line, who know more about these systems than anybody else on the planet, or you can say "but, but but".

It's like a guy goes to the doctor because he has a pain in his side. Doctor says it's just a muscle stitch. Guy insists he found online it's possibly related to stomach cancer. Doctor runs tests. Guy is told he's fine but he's not satisfied. Reads more online, sees more doctors, has an MRI, all these doctors say he's fine but, Guy insists, he still thinks it's cancer. Nothing will satisfy Guy. The world is imperfect, you can never know everything.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ray La Hood is not NASA. Now I'm getting a better idea how you speak a different dialect of English than I was taught.

11. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You guys are some fart smellers...uh oh, I mean smart fellers....:D

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    See page 71 of the pdf: "Note that statistics involving NHTSA’s Consumer Safety Complaint data were developed for research projects sponsored by law firms representing plaintiffs in litigation with Toyota Motor Company." Anybody can skew data to show statistics that support their agenda, especially if it's funded by lawyers suing Toyota.

So far you've provided links to flawed studies by Gilbert, Ronald Belt, and now Quality Control Systems Corporation, all of which have nothing to do with the Prius per se. Obviously, if the NHTSA/NASA reports actually found some problems with the electronic throttle system despite not testing any Prius, you would have run with it and accepted their claims.

1 person likes this.
  13. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, this is getting as exciting as 'The Engine That Rattles Once a Year and Will Kill My Car' threads!

14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alrighty....
    Who is in for a pool???

How long will this Lebanese Goat Grab go on before the mods close it?
    200?
    250?

C'mon!! Whose in for 250?

15. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Where did I say he was? But NASA and NHTSA both released Executive Summaries of the study, saying basically the same thing.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We will need to bar participants in the pool from posting; otherwise they can skew the results. ;)

Tom

1 person likes this.
  17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EVPV's skepticism is coming from the fact he can't say "'ah ha', that's why there's a problem with my (or my friend's - which is it?)Prius!" To expand on his point, doesn't that still leave it open for all Lexus vehicles since none were tested? What about all the other Toyota's they didn't test? Gosh, let's throw the Camry back in since it's still unresolved for him. Then of course there are all the other cars and trucks from other makes that can't be absolved either. What about everything else that uses electronic controls?

I think by now you know I'm speaking in jest :p. The point is where does it stop? There is no evidence that remotely points to the possibility of problems with electronic controls and UA, therefore it doesn't warrant additional tests on other vehicles, including the Prius.

18. Nandros

Nandros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    According to the Wikipedia surge = jerk :D

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so on the whole 'they didn't test a prius' thing, i think it was the chp in the loaner lexus with incorrect floor mats that started this whole thing. what particular prius incident would make nhtsa, nasa or any other agency want to test a prius?

20. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will start out by making the assumption that those tasked with this investigation, and especially NASA, are not stupid, nor do they have an axe to grind. I would hope that even the most cynical of critics would agree? Unlike some here, the engineers at NASA, et.al., have only one agenda - to find the truth. Furthermore, both of these investigating bodies would certainly be privy to technical information relating to the commonality of sub-system components across Toyota/Lexus cars...so there should be no need to test every vehicle in Toyota's lineup, since these guys are bright enough to determine the appropriate model(s) and sample size to test. I think the critics need to stop looking under every possible rock, and tilting at wind mills to try and find a smoking gun...and learn to trust the engineers that know a hellava lot more about this, than they do...or, the slimy lawyers and unscrupulous individuals looking for a pay day at Toyota's expense.

But even if you still believe in the unintended acceleration conspiracy...this does not explain why these drivers could not control their car by applying the brake, or simply, turning the vehicle off?? These are all independent systems, so even if a cosmic ray event changed the state of the EPROM...all the sub-systems will not fail at the same instant in time. It will not happen. But ya know what, perhaps some of them couldn't stop their vehicle because they mistakenly had their foot on the gas pedal, instead of the brake pedal? Just a possibility?

So, just perhaps, the more plausible reason for this UE is that it be tied to "driver error"...as was given by Audi when they too had a similar complaint against them some 20 years earlier! Given all the idiots I see every day on my commute into work, or based on some of the questions and comments I read on this board... I find it far more plausible that driver error was at fault. There really are a lot of people who are careless, if not completely clueless drivers.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.