1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden decrease in MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by naplock, Nov 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. naplock

naplock New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,
    I bought a 2011 Prius III with 67,000 miles in late Sept (it is now early Nov). Initially I was very pleased with the mpg, but it suddenly seems to be ticking slowly down as I drive and hit an all time low of 39.9 today. What seems strange to me is that yesterday, after a fill up, the mpg slowly climbed to 53 as I drove the car to my destination, but on the way home the mpg went slowly down a 1/10 or so at a time as I drove, although I would think it would get better as the car warms up. I have noticed this slow downturn while driving in the last couple of weeks. I would like to figure this out before I have winter tires installed next week, as that will further complicate matters.

Previously I was getting about 48 mpg/hwy and 49-51 in town and have been racking my brain as to what it could be.
    --Winter temps? It has been a warm fall here in NH and it still isn't that cold yet, although temps have dipped into the low 30s at night a few times.
    --Winter gas? I noticed the steady tick-down only since the next to last fill up.
    --ICE not warm enough? Night temps, plus garage door broke a few days ago so it has been open although the car has been parked inside.
    --More in-town driving (we took a road trip and were doing more driving in Oct, but now it is mostly short 1-2 mile intervals between stops and I live up a hill, so burn more to come home each time, but that has been true for longer than the approx 2 week period in which I noticed this trend.....

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Cooler weather is your enemy in this situation, if you don;t have one a block heater might help, also there are several posts on grill blocking you might look into.

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any chance your destination was at a lower altitude than your home? If so, that could easily explain the difference.

I've noticed cumulative mpg during a trip often peaks while I'm crossing rivers en route to wherever. That's no coincidence.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! are you measuring by the tank full, or watching the display?

5. naplock

naplock New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

I have noticed the difference while driving the same routes I have been driving. Bisco, I was watching the display--my husband did not reset the trip meter after he filled up a couple of weeks ago, but I did two days ago. I am starting to doubt the cooler weather explanation because I contacted a friend with a 2008 Prius who lives farther north (colder) than me and she has not noticed any mpg difference lately...

6. Bster13

Bster13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    With colder temperatures, your tires could be under inflated?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the display is almost useless, too much variation. if you are truly concerned, track your tanks and manual calculate the mpg's each time. report back here, and if it looks significant, we can start giving you some things to have checked. many people have been fooled by the 'instant mpg meter'.

Bster13 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can track individual trips from start to stop simply by looking at the display after you turn the car off. It displays info from the time the car was started until it was turned off. However, it is only good for that specific trip and taking the same tip another time may give different results. I've never paid any attention to the instant mileage display. I do watch the Trip A mileage though to see if it's going up and down between fill-ups. I use Trip B to get data for an entire trip from the time we leave home until the time we return even if it's weeks later. The only semi-accurate data is to manually compute mileage based on actual miles driven and the amount of fuel pumped. However, that doesn't help one make adjustments while they're their driving. It'll show you real quick how much mileage is affected by fast acceleration, how much the battery is affected by over use of EV mode, etc. Lately, my goal has been to return home for any errand with the same or higher mileage on the CONS display, especially if my wife takes the car somewhere. :)

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Welcome, well, yer 12v is a possible culprit, if weak, it's using energy.
    yes, cold is different, everything takes longer to run optimally, air up, check that the emergency brake isn't dragging, clean the in cab air filter, check the ice (internal combustion engine) oil level and air filter.
    Get studs, front wheel drive with undef-eatable traction control requires studs...in NH

AzWxGuy likes this.
  10. breakfast

breakfast Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It has been a rainy week up around Southern NH, I believe. Rain kills MPG for all cars.

11. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    - Winter temps greatly influence the mpg, due to how the battery performs when it's colder. I live in WI, and my mpg dips down from around 54 mpg in summer to around 36 mpg during the cold parts of winter.
    - winter gas, I'm told, has a different mix, and seems to give worse mpg.
    - more in-town driving will certainly affect things as well.
    - tire pressure gets lower as the temperature dips, and lowers your mpg.
    - the onboard mpg gauge is not accurate, unfortunately. Mine reads higher than actual mpg by 5-9%. Do consistent fill-ups and keep track of them.
    - if your 12v battery is dying, the cars spends energy trying to charge it.
    - there are also things that affect driving (wind, grade, road condition, passengers, weight, and mysterious unknowns).

Here's my mpg, with seasons:

[​IMG]

Mendel Leisk and Bster13 like this.
  12. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I believe that function is in the 2013 and later models. I remember it from borrowing a 2013 dealer loaner one time. My 2011 doesn't show that. Wish it did. Well, in a couple of years I'll purchase a used 2014, keeping on my schedule, and then I'll have it.

13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good point, I didn't know that wasn't on all Gen 3's.

14. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, but the magnitude of that effect often tends to be greatly exaggerated. That battery would be fried in short order if it were absorbing enough energy to noticeably affect fuel consumption.