1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden discoloration on interior door panel

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by rostasi, Apr 30, 2015.

1. rostasi

rostasi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi folks,

2001 w/ 80,000 miles if this matters.

The scene: I'm checking and airing my tires in the driveway with my window down.
    A light mist of rain begins and I finish up. I get in the car and after wiping away some
    drops of rain on the upper part of the inside door panel, I look down and notice light dots
    of discoloration right around where the buttons are for window controls and for locking the
    car. So, while wondering why there's discoloration, I grab a clean hand towel, wet it,
    and proceed to try to wipe away whatever created the spots and after it dried, I of course,
    had just made it worse. The raindrops had basically created light grey spots on the darker
    grey around the control buttons and now all I've done is just wet a larger area of it and it's
    all scuffed-textured light grey. It was just water! Anyway, there's probably a good explanation
    that you guys could provide.

So, my question is: can I use some kind of proper cleaner to get the darker grey back
    or am I actually reduced to getting a new interior door panel?

thanks,

Rod

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it leather?

3. rostasi

rostasi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No sir, it's, I believe, a heavy plastic.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe see what an auto parts place has for vinyl cleaner.

rostasi likes this.
  5. rostasi

rostasi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I was thinking that. Of course, I'm going to try testing it first on a tiny area to see what happens.
    I still don't understand why just water would do this. Maybe it has something to do with the age
    of the panel? Puzzling.

6. rostasi

rostasi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I found a picture online and did a screen grab of the area of the panel.
    That darker grey area is the area that suddenly had little grey rainwater spots
    and now has scuffed grey because of added water.

[​IMG]

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're right, that is odd. and perhaps you're right about the age, maybe the material itself is breaking down. if you can't fix it, i wonder if you could find one in a salvage yard or ebay.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose what you have to discover is whether the rain somehow removed pigment from the plastic, in which you could do all the cleaning you want and never get the color back, and in fact perhaps make things worse. Or if there was something in the rain water that caused staining, in which case careful cleaning might help restore the look.

I'd try Meguiars INTERIOR detail cleaner. It's a mild interior cleaner, safe on multiple surfaces. And yes, I'd spot test it first.

rostasi likes this.
  9. rostasi

rostasi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for your responses.
    Yes, I searched earlier for an inside door panel replacement
    and found an eBayer called Lakeside Toyota. I saved the page
    and went out looking for answers.

The car needed washing anyway and so the "before" guy at the car wash
    said they'll try some solution and protectant. Still no change. I talked to the "after" guy
    and he shook his head and said that I may want to consider some company called
    "Flying Colors" - never heard of them, but he said they have reps all over the country
    who come to your place and they actually dye the piece to its original color.
    OK, I wrote that down to check later.

Meanwhile, I stop at my local "Auto Zone" and the guy there said he had the same
    problem with the dash on his truck. He recommended "Armor All." I told him that I
    just came back from the car wash and that's what they used. He said, "No, you've
    gotta work at it - not just run a cloth over it....gotta do it then let it dry, then do it again..."
    He mentioned using a sponge or paper towel.

OK, so I get home and I'm using a rough weave towel - 4 or 5 times over 10-15 minutes
    on driver and passenger sides and letting it dry. It's not doing a thing. So, I get a kitchen sponge
    that has that rough green side and start back in with the protectant. After 2 or 3 more tries,
    I'm seeing improvement after it dries - getting excited - about 2 or 3 more tries and it's all
    the same color as it should be - not that patchy look like you see in some kinds of
    industrial-looking grey garage floors? It worked! So, I don't know if it was the protectant
    or if I just lightly, but continuously, took a layer off the top! - ha!

We'll see in the morning if it's held up.
    I'll keep your suggestions in mind if it hasn't,
    ...but I've checked twice after an hour and it still looks good.

thanks again for your suggestions,

Rod

snead_c likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! that's what i was trying to think of, armor all. (y)

rostasi likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'm glad the Armor All and elbow grease seem to be doing the trick. If it doesn't hold up, maybe it helps that you're not looking for the whole inside door panel but only this part, right?

-Chap

rostasi likes this.
  12. rostasi

rostasi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, it's just that darkest area smack dab in the middle of the picture above
    (with the window buttons, lock buttons, and the place you put your hand to close the door).
    I just took a break from writing this and checked again and it still looks great.
    The passenger side may need one more go at it tomorrow 'cause it looks just
    a little scuffy. Anyway, I'm keeping the windows shut from now on whenever there's
    even a light mist. Hope this answers a future question from another surprised person.