1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SUDDEN drop of about 10MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zardoz, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Marcius

Marcius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Did OP ever get issues in his original post resolved in regards to loss of gas mileage?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good question! @Zardoz seems to be missing in action.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not too far away - I assume it's fixed. He was "Zardoz was last seen: 17h 50m ago" according to her/his profile.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Still here just nothing to report. THAT problem is intermittent. The fix has nothing to do with temperature. It is to turn off the car and turn the car back on. The car has failed to start the engine when leaving a traffic light three times now as well. I will start a new thread for another issue that may impact the unsuspected.

Marcius likes this.
  5. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the last week then ICE as failed to turn off on THREE occasions. The solution each time is to power off the car and power back own.
    I have a very routine in town trip from North Phoenix to South East Mesa via Highway 101, 60, 202. In that direction I usually got near 70mpg as the trip is mostly down hill. Saturday that trip gave me 54. The return trip 49.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12v health

Marcius likes this.
  7. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Everyone, I have waited a bit to provide a little information but perhaps mostly speculation.
    First the 12v battery has been replaced. There was no change with the gas mileage.

I just made another trip from Show Low, AZ to Las Vegas, NV and back. The ROUND TRIP mileage was 36.7MPG. In the past it has always been over 50MPG.

Speculation:
    Most times when the ICE kicks on the instantaneous gas mileage drops below 5MPG. It USED to stay around 20MPG or so.

Unless I am going down hill, if the ICE is running the instantaneous gas mileage is RARELY over 45MPG.

Despite my issues with the ICE not turning off sometimes, I am really thinking that this is mostly an ICE performance issue. It does NOT generate any codes so the Toyota service techs say "Sorry, nothing we can do with no codes"

Has ANYONE had similar ICE issues?

Thanks!

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe check the rear wheels for brake drag. Raise the rear, apply/release parking brake a few times, then see how freely the wheel spins. There will be slight drag, the overhead of disk brake system, but it should spin 2~3 revolutions freely. In lieu of floor jack, you can do this with just the scissor jack, one side at a time.

9. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I will check that. I also found an thread on T-SB-0241-17 that identifies my issues going down the mountain that Toyota said they could not reproduce. Will try to get an appointment for this Thursday.

Mendel Leisk likes this.