1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden EV range drop

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by billvon, Apr 29, 2024.

1. billvon

billvon Junior Member

I've had a 2017 Prime for 7 years now, and when I first got it the EV range was estimated at about 22 miles by the car. After driving it for a while and getting used to its quirks I got up to about 28 miles estimated (4.5 miles per kwhr) which seemed real; I'd actually get about that mileage before the ICE started.

At first I worked 3 miles from my house and it wasn't even close to an issue. Then I got a job 22 miles away and I had to be a little careful to get to and from work without starting the engine. But it still worked out pretty well; I was using about a gallon of gas a month on average, all on long range trips.

Then I left it for a week while we went on vacation, and when I got back it still reported 28 miles. Drove it the 22 miles to work and it didn't make it; ICE kicked in about 2 miles out. Next time I charged it range was 21 miles, and now it doesn't make it to work any more.

It looks like it's a real battery capacity loss. Charging used to take 2 hours (reported) from an almost dead battery; now it reports 1 hour 40 minutes to charge to full, as if the BMS knows the battery SOH has suddenly declined.

Anyone else experienced this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very possible on a 7 year old car.
    You can measure battery capacity with a meter or some public chargers

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle: