1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden HV overcharging

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jeff F, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've been doing lots of highway driving, about 4,500 km in the past week, and the car has been working flawlessly except for one weird event.

I was driving through some moderately hilly country around Knoxville with the cruise control at about 77 mph. On a couple of the hills the engine would max out at 4,500 rpm and then the electric would briefly add power as well. I was watching everything carefully with Torque, which is excellent, but that's for another post. I felt comfortable pushing the car a bit because I had the custom real time display of key performance measures.

What happened was that after cresting one of the hills when the SOC had gone from the usual 60% to about 50% the HV system went into a high charge mode and started pumping about 30 amps into the battery. This continued and I watched the SOC climb steadily past 60, 70, 80, 90% with no easing of the charge rate. This was on relatively flat road. At 95% I pulled over, turned off the ignition for a minute or two, then restarted the car and resumed driving. Within a few minutes I was back at the usual ~60% SoC. That was 3,000 km ago and it hasn't happened since.

This seems to me to be a software glitch in the car. I confirmed the activity by watching at least three different metrics while it was happening - HV current, state of charge, and also battery temp, which spiked during this as might be expected.

Comments? I seem to remember seeing mention of this somewhere else. The car didn't behave any differently or give any warnings. I'm wondering what would have happened if I hadn't been watching my custom instrumentation and just kept driving on. A few of these events could reduce the life of the HV battery I would think.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've read reports of a rebalancing cycle but never experienced it. Your description is similar to what I've read before.

Do you have the maximum and minimum block voltage? Does the minimum voltage block float between 3-4 or appear to stay on just one?

Bob Wilson

3. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. So you think this is a designed event? Interesting.

I've been watching the minimum and maximums carefully and trying to intuitively interpret the results. The maximum is usually block 19, but occasionally block 1. The minimum blocks are always between 3 and 12, but no one stands out - the minimum varies often within that range of blocks.

When I started out my trip the difference in voltage between high and low was typically 250-350 MV. I wasn't sure whether that was an indication of problems, but was reassured by seeing the minimum cycle through multiple cells. I noticed today that the spread between min and max seems to be lower, maybe 200 - 300 MV. But my thought was that battery temperature (both the overall temperature as well as the difference in temperature across cells) might also play a role.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine went through that cycle once in Chicagoland rush hour. Sitting there stopping and going on the highway with nothing better to do than watch the ScanGauge and wonder if I was cooking the battery. It went steadily up to 99+ %soc, held there for a little bit, then cut off the ICE and drove on electric only for the next mile or so until the soc was down to 60%.

That was a couple years ago, I think. It did another one just in the last few months.

-Chap

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That sounds kind of like a Civic Hybrid recalibration.

With the Civic the computer gets it's perception of the battery's state of charge by keeping track of how much charge has been taken from and returned to the battery. If for any reason it suspects that it's perception of the battery's charge is straying from reality, it recalibrates that perception, directly verifies the state of charge, via:

* Forced charging
    * Limitted assist
    * Lock out of engine stop and idle, coupled with raised idle speed

These typically occur when a battery is out of balance, reduced capacity, and so on. At least with the Civic, if they happen very occasionally it's not a concern. But as the battery deteriorates they happen with increasing frequency.

We've got one still in the family, a 2006, and recal's are basically a daily event. :(

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This has happened to me also. You were right to cycle the ignition to reset it. This happened to me last summer and hasn't happened since.

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just a though but a cold traction battery and forced charge might be a good idea in these winter months. A cold-soak battery would start with all cells at the same state. Start the engine and once the catalytic converters light-off, do a forced charge. Unfortunately, a manual, forced charge would not reach the peak 99% SOC desired.

If someone has one of the knock-off, Techstream-lites, is there a commanded test for traction battery, charge balance?

Bob Wilson

8. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all. Guess I should have trusted the machine. It was a bit disconcerting when it happened, but if it occurs again I will let it run its course. I ran out of fuel yesterday and ran the battery down to < 20% SOC so it has now cycled both ways :)

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    happened to me a couple weeks ago when my girl and i were on our way to a party. it was in ev mode, and went from 50 to 34.5 then started charging and went 60, 70, 80, 90 then 95 then i saw 0 for the longest time. she drove it for 10 mil till we got to the party. shut it off and I turned it back on, the soc was 94.5 or something like that. we enjoyed the party then left and the car stayed in ev until it got back into the 65 soc range. been fine ever since. no codes thrown, but when i scanned for codes on scangauge, it showed p 3006 logged. checked it the other day, nothing.

10. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

I believe this may be true for the Prius too. Looking back, mine did the "overcharging" thing with increasing frequency in the year or so (25k miles) before my traction battery finally gave up the ghost. I assumed that it was attempting to rebalance cells, etc. Eventually, this would be accompanied by the battery cooling fan running more often, etc. It did happen to me a couple of times well before this, so hopefully, the OP's "event" isn't necesarily a sign of traction battery failure in the near future.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm researching Re-Involt for our Civic. They're offering a replacement battery, same chemistry, brand new cells, claimed 30% more capacity, 3 year warranty. I suspect they use just-in-time manufacture, ie: you order a battery, and they get to work building it. As opposed to getting a Honda battery that might have been sitting on a shelf, for?

The price isn't cheap though: $2700 to Re-inVolt and $300 to the installer. They have an authorized installer just down the road from us, in Seattle. I've talked to both parties, toying with the idea... Anyway:

Their price for Prius batteries is more reasonable, $1875 (plus install) I believe, going from memory.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Honda price probably reflects the low volume and the delay, what it takes to put one together.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's what I'm thinking. Prius are so much more prevelant... That'll teach me, LOL.

For me the operative words are "put one together": I like to think Re-Involt batteries will be freshly made and balanced.

14. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A brief update - this happened again yesterday. This time I let it run its course. The SoC went up to about 98% and was held there for 5-10 minutes, and then things returned to normal. I've been driving a lot on a couple of long-distance trips, and it was about 5,000 miles between the two events.

I keep an eye on the high and low battery block voltages and temperatures, and had noticed in the time leading up to the recalibration that the spread had increased to ~350 - 400 mv. Since the recalibration the spread has been ~200 - 250 mv. I'm assuming that the full charge was triggered by the increasing spread across blocks, which is consistent with the comments above.

I'm very impressed with the smarts in this car - to my mind Toyota did a great job, considering this car represents their early efforts in hybrids. I owned a new 2001 Sienna and wasn't all that impressed with that vehicle, but this Prius has me solidly back in the Toyota fan club. I wonder how much they coasted on their non-hybrid cars while they were developing their hybrid lineup?

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think they didn't want any problems on the Gen 1 Prius so they took extra care b4 they released it. They didn't want to give any ammunition for the naysayers.

Jeff F likes this.
  16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Ifi n fact the ReInVolt replacement battery has 3 times the OE 144 volt, 6 Amp-Hour capacity, that would account for the higher cost. My reading of their web site says that their "Improved" HCH NiMh battery has 30% higher capacity and that (1.3*6 = 7.8) is a somewhat higher capacity than the Prius 200 volt battery (6.5 Amp-Hour), but that would not justify a significantly higher price (fewer cells in series).

JeffD

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. AdRB93

AdRB93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my 2001 Prius in September 2015 and I've been having the same thing happen to my vehicle. The last couple of times I thought it was a glitch and stopped the vehicle to cycle the ignition but I followed this thread and when it happened again recently, I simply let the vehicle run its course. I now find that the vehicle is slightly more eager to rely on the electric motor while driving and has increased my average consumption to 64.2mpg. The ambient temperature for this event to take place was 6 degrees centigrade. The car has done 103000 miles and I wouldn't expect the traction battery to be on the verge of failure just yet.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He said he'd aborted the earlier cycles and that would lead to future attempts. I'm thinking keep on and see if another rebalance cycle comes up. Meanwhile, look at minimizing stress on the battery . . . always a good practice.

My recommendation is always, instrumentation like a miniVCI. Then we can survey your traction battery and get an idea of the health.

Bob Wilson

S Keith likes this.
  19. AdRB93

AdRB93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always drive to minimize stress on the battery. I never drive it up a hill with a discharge showing from the battery, I avoid full throttle as much as possible and i always try to cruise at moderate speeds. I think the reason I expect the battery to last longer than typical NiMH batteries is because of the extremely stringent operating conditions that they are under. I read somewhere that the batteries were designed for 150,000 miles, or to last as long as other drive components of typical vehicles? I know that they wont last forever, look at some Nissan Leaf owners with batteries dropping below 75% capacity in less than 48,000 miles. I'm always looking for more information on the car as its very interesting, where might i get one of these instruments from?

20. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used Torque Pro on my android device with great success. There are threads here describing how to configure for the Gen 1.

As a followup to my earlier experience I did eventually rebuild my traction battery with gen2 modules, about a year after posting this. There was a steady decline over that year, marked by increasing differences in max/min module voltages and higher battery temperatures. I'm seeing similar degradation in my gen2 now. You might want to start getting acquainted with options for battery repair/replacement.