1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden lights and warnings and codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drjulian, Jan 11, 2017.

1. drjulian

drjulian New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

Sorry for the long story but all the facts are important to my question:

I have a 2007 prius with 140,000 miles on it, and other the the recirculation pump and a battery I have had good luck with it.

A few days ago as I was leaving work, (driving in the parking lot at >5 mph car was cold) suddenly the dash board lit up with the check engine light, the brake warning light and the red triangle along with an loud beep.

I parked the car and let it sit for a while and when I restarted it, the brake warning light was off but the red triangle and check engine remained on. The car seemed to run normally, so I took a chance and drove it home without incident.

The next day I took it to Autozone and they put a diagnostic meter on it and the only code they came up with refereed to the mass air handler. On the drive home from Autozone, all warning lights disappeared and everything suddenly seemed normal.

I cleaned the mass air handler and assumed the problem was resolved.

Two days later, leaving work, again the 3 lights and the beep and this time the battery cooling fan came on (car was cold).

Assuming there were codes Autozone was not getting, I ordered a mini VCI to check for my self.
    Meanwhile, my research led me to checking the normal battery in the car, which I had replaced about 4 years ago.

When I checked the battery, I discovered the voltage was 10.4, so I put it on a charger.

Meanwhile, I received the VCI and the Techstram software, hooked it up and got a BUNCH of error codes:

P3000, P0A80, P3011, P3013. C1241, C1310, C124, C159,

Which all seem to point to a major malfunction in the hybrid system.

Since there were no symptoms of any kind, it seems odd that everything suddenly went south, not that it cannot happen, or maybe that is exactly how it happens, suddenly and without warning.

I have read, however, that low voltage on the normal battery can wreak havoc on the computer and result in false warnings.

So my question:

Can low voltage on the normal battery trigger a bunch of error codes related to the HV batteries that are incorrect?

IF there is a chance these codes are the result of a bad normal battery, they I will replace it, clear the codes and see what happens, however if there is no way a low normal battery could trigger the lights, the fan, and the error codes, then I will avoid spending the $100+ on a new one and respond accordingly.

And the "take it to the dealer" idea is not an option as our local dealer has a reputation of dishonesty in the service dept and there is no doubt what his diagnostic conclusion would be.

In reading this forum it is clear that I can count on clear and helpful responses with good advice.

Thank you for your time.

2. drjulian

drjulian New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

Sorry for the long story but all the facts are important to my question:

I have a 2007 prius with 140,000 miles on it, and other the the recirculation pump and a battery I have had good luck with it.

A few days ago as I was leaving work, (driving in the parking lot at >5 mph car was cold) suddenly the dash board lit up with the check engine light, the brake warning light and the red triangle along with an loud beep.

I parked the car and let it sit for a while and when I restarted it, the brake warning light was off but the red triangle and check engine remained on. The car seemed to run normally, so I took a chance and drove it home without incident.

The next day I took it to Autozone and they put a diagnostic meter on it and the only code they came up with refereed to the mass air handler. On the drive home from Autozone, all warning lights disappeared and everything suddenly seemed normal.

I cleaned the mass air handler and assumed the problem was resolved.

Two days later, leaving work, again the 3 lights and the beep and this time the battery cooling fan came on (car was cold).

Assuming there were codes Autozone was not getting, I ordered a mini VCI to check for my self.
    Meanwhile, my research led me to checking the normal battery in the car, which I had replaced about 4 years ago.

When I checked the battery, I discovered the voltage was 10.4, so I put it on a charger.

Meanwhile, I received the VCI and the Techstram software, hooked it up and got a BUNCH of error codes:

P3000, P0A80, P3011, P3013. C1241, C1310, C124, C159,

Which all seem to point to a major malfunction in the hybrid system.

Since there were no symptoms of any kind, it seems odd that everything suddenly went south, not that it cannot happen, or maybe that is exactly how it happens, suddenly and without warning.

I have read, however, that low voltage on the normal battery can wreak havoc on the computer and result in false warnings.

So my question:

Can low voltage on the normal battery trigger a bunch of error codes related to the HV batteries that are incorrect?

IF there is a chance these codes are the result of a bad normal battery, they I will replace it, clear the codes and see what happens, however if there is no way a low normal battery could trigger the lights, the fan, and the error codes, then I will avoid spending the $100+ on a new one and respond accordingly.

And the "take it to the dealer" idea is not an option as our local dealer has a reputation of dishonesty in the service dept and there is no doubt what his diagnostic conclusion would be.

In reading this forum it is clear that I can count on clear and helpful responses with good advice.

Thank you for your time.

3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, has your car been parked outside during the heat of the day unprotected for the last 4 years? If yes, consider a new 12v battery. Once replaced, monitor 12v to insure the battery is good, check on the condition of the hybrid battery and consider getting a hybrid grid charger if you are planning to keep the car until it dies.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    without a good 12 volt it's impossible to know. yo can invest in a charger, or a new battery. but in the end, it could be expensive.
    all the best!(y)

5. drjulian

drjulian New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you for the prompt response.

Yes, we are in Southwest Florida and my car sits outside year round.

So you think there is a chance that the 12v is the culprit?

I have not seen a hybrid gid charger for the prius, where might I look for one?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    priuschat shoppe.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please refer to dr julians duplicate post.

8. drjulian

drjulian New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks

9. drjulian

drjulian New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    whoops... my first time posting here.... must have hit the post reply button twice....sorry.

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pm @jeff652 with questions, he is the owner/inventor, and a member here.

jeff652 likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no prolemo.:)

12. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  13. drjulian

drjulian New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sure is!

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you at least put a windshield cover to lessen the cabin heat load during the day?

The one time I didn't put mine in the cabin got so hot the hybrid battery fan came on full blast the car got so hot.
    So yeah your hybrid battery has taken a cooking.

Your hybrid battery has failed. You have techstream so look at the battery block voltages. And the battery delta. You probably have at least 2 modules that are low. Given it's history I would not bother rebuilding it as it will be a whack a mole as other modules fail also after just rebuilding the pack.

Best bet is dealer pack if you plan on keeping the car. But there's a lot of players now including napa and dorman.

Use search button at the top and search "bad hybrid battery" lots of reading.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the result of the charging–not that I am hopeful you can revive it. Unless it proves to be strong after recharging, just bite the bullet and replace it.
    The 1st 4 codes point to your HV battery is not happy. The C1241 points to your 12 V is not happy. The last 2 are not a valid codes.

Ed (the fox) has good advice.

valde3 likes this.
  17. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    NiMh batteries do not die from long term storage self discharge. They die from being driven after (and charged at the high current delivered by the vehicle) while empty from self discharge. We have many snow bird customers who let their cars sit for several months each year who use our products to avoid hybrid battery damage. I would recommend replacing the 12V aux battery (it's very likely gone) then charge & balance the hybrid battery before operating the vehicle. By charging and balancing it before driving the car you will restore the cells to a full charge level where they can safely absorb the high current charge and discharge delivered by the vehicle.

Once the car is moving again, a reconditioning treatment would be wise as well.