1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden loss of hybrid system while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fmerkel, Jun 27, 2018.

1. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2015 Prius 4 with ~ 46k miles. No previous problems.
    Driving home from a hike. Car abruptly does a small shake, dash lights up with:

Check engine light
    Master Warning light
    Slip indicator light
    Brake system warning light
    and of course: [Check Hybrid System......] warning in huge letters.

Car did continue to run. Pulled over ASAP off the freeway in about 1 mile. Shut off engine. Died with a stutter and some extended 'clanking'. Not normal.
    Oil was OK, fresh change less than a 1000 miles ago.

Tried to start > it did, ICE only with same warning lights. Drove home cautiously. Shuddered a tad on initial acceleration, had.....lousy....power, but when going along at residential speeds seemed almost normal except for the warnings and lack of power.

Have a Techstream program. Had not used it. Could not get it to connect. Sigh.
    Tried an OBDII and an Android app called [Car Scanner]
    Got a [UO29A] code. That's the only code, at least with this app.

Googling that gets me some further confusing results.
    -bad connection with the skid control unit
    -lost communication with the hybrid battery pack
    -lost communication with the hybrid battery pack sensor

Brand new to Prius and vehicles like this. Seems like there is some issue with a poor connection...maybe?
    Any clues on what to check?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at a loss without tech stream codes. check the inverter reservoir for fluid movement with the car 'ready'.

could be vermin chewing wires, do you know the history of the car?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whatever the problem, it's under warranty as it'll be a hybrid or powertrain issue. Take it to the dealer

Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1 to the above.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the above replies. I have a bit more info.
    12v battery seemed fine > 12.26v, and that's after screwing around for awhile with the system on trying to get DTC codes.

Pulled what I think is the HV 'fuse' (not really a fuse, more of a connector). It's a large orange plug thing in the back that looks to connect the HV battery. After I did that, when I fired the car up all the dash alerts were gone. Drove it around the block, maybe half mile. Completely normal behavior.
    Puzzle, eh?

Car is 2nd hand. Previous owner seemed to be OCD about taking care of it. It is in impressively good shape with all previous work, both dealer and personal noted. This is a big part of the reason I bought the car. It's been functioning flawlessly for about a month+ and maybe 800 miles.
    So....is a 2015 with those kind of miles, second owner, still under warranty....should this problem show it's ugly self again?

No evidence of vermin chewing and it's been garaged most of it's life. I think that is unlikely.

#5 fmerkel, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  6. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Help! Murphy has it in for me!
    Drove Prius the next day. No dash lights, ran absolutely normal for ~ 5 miles. On parking the dash lit up with the [Master Warning] and [Check Engine] lights. It shut down with that weird extended shaking and clanking like the first time.

Went shopping, less than an hour. Tried starting > same dash warning + [Check Hybrid System......] added in.
    Pulled the orange 'breaker' (cross fingers...;)) Tried again > Same behavior. Argh! :mad:

Drove it home. Hybrid system working this time. Except for the dash warning lights it seemed normal. Shut down normally, no weirdness. :confused:
    Checked for DTC codes > same [UO29A]. o_O

Next day, fired it up. No dash lights at all, seems normal. Did not drive it.
    Checked for DTC codes > residual? [UO29A] still there. Tried removing code with [Car Scanner] app > erased, no problem.

The scanner app will do a 'deep scan'. Ran it, took almost 20" > no codes at all.

I am baffled. I figure if I take it in, they'll find nothing. Then it'll light up like a Christmas tree on the drive home.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    take pictures of the dash when the lights are on. Then they can trouble shoot better with photo proof

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Intermittent Electrical problems are tough to troubleshoot:(.

Check as many connections as you can and ensure they are tight;).

Unless you have Techstream or the like on hand when the dash lights illuminate, you’ll be in a tough spot.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

9. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check connections where?

I'm struggling with Techstream. I got a download that was 'supposed' to work on Win10x64. Directions were gawd awful. There are SO many different approaches, program versions, windows versions. etc., to getting the program to work it is frustrating.
    Works on the laptop. USB connector is recognized (the XHorse test). Will not connect to car.

I have a BAFX OBD2. Works with The [Car Scanner]. Won't work with [Torque] or [Carista]. What's with that? I can understand an OBD2 not working at all, but if it's sending, why can't another app pick it up?

#9 fmerkel, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  10. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the definition of conflicted. o_O

Took the Prius to the former owner that has a working copy of Techstream. About 15 miles one way, worked perfectly. Techstream shows nothing, no errors.
    Note-I did erase the DTC codes with a phone app. That worked, apparently quite well...... :rolleyes:
    Techstream found no history.

Drove back home, no problems. Uh, that's good? (y)
    Sure don't feel secure about this.

#10 fmerkel, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  11. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2 more days of driving around town. Works perfectly.
    Unwilling to go for drives far from home + freeway right now.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 2015 with less than 15,000 miles, I recently had to have my brake actuator replaced. That was a $4500 repair if it were paid out of warranty. Luckily Toyota paid for this repair.

I'm not sure if you're experiencing strange noises when you brake, like a squawk/chirp/bark. But if you are, that could be the reason why you're getting an error

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you ever make it to the dealership? This has got to be warranty.

14. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    damn i thought the brake actuator issue had long been resolved.. I know the gen 2 "free replacement" is over...
    oh well might have to consider another brand after all... sure not buying a ford with all their engine and trans failures over the last 2 years

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it's been resolved with a gen 2, no longer in warranty after Dec 2017. But my 2015 falls under 3 year/36,000 miles new car warranty

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the "amazon/ebay" techstream I have set off my anti virus and would ask to be registered as soon as the computer went on line.. i bought an old laptop with XP on it for 20 bucks on craigslist disabled the wifi and its been working fine... XP and I think windows 7 32 bit are the only OP systems that this program work with and keep the computer off line...

17. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i had my 08 done in Aug of 17, just made it.. no way i was paying $3200 for the repair.. I asked the dealer what my car was worth trade in they said $2800...LOL

18. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I....don't.....think....so. OTOH, this whole hybrid thing is new to me. It doesn't sound particularly weird. The "hybrid system going off line" had nothing to do with braking, so I don't think that's the issue.

No, I have not gone the dealer yet. At this point I have a car that runs absolutely normally, with no dash alerts, and no DTC codes, according to the previous owner's Techstream.
    What do I tell the dealer? I have 'my story', but at this point I have no PROOF, no problems, no DTC codes.

Murphy is looking after me....for sure.

19. fmerkel

fmerkel Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    3 short trips with the Prius > no problems, normal operation.
    Decided to risk a longer trip with freeway; 45 miles, no issues.

Don't know what to think about that. One thing if it was a nuisance problem that went away, but the entire hybrid system simply quit working. Now it seems fine. Weird.

goldfinger and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it happens again, don’t reset the lights and just let the dealer handle this. Don’t try to DIY this since it’s under warranty.

fmerkel and Mendel Leisk like this.