1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suddenly getting a Check Engine light and code P0011 on my 2008 Prius. Any cheap/DIY suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wowbobwow, Jun 18, 2016.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Seen a few posts lately replacing the VVT oil control solenoid which is right next to the VVT oil filter hex bolt fixed that code.

2. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I got my engine/tranny replaced, I made sure to install a new VVT solenoid in it. Which I talked about before. removed the VVT filter and it was fine. Sprayed a little brake cleaning fluid on it, let it dry and reinstalled. pretty easy job. happy new year to you and your family!

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My mechanic buys damaged prius' from auctions and private owners, dismantles them and sells the parts on the internet. He picked up a low miles 2007 with 56,000 miles. installed the engine and tranny for me for $850 parts and labor. Got the job done in only 2 days. This guy knows his sht for sure. Any time I need parts for my car, I just call him. Most of the stuff on my car I can do myself--but not installing engines and trannys!

Come spring and warmer weather, I plan on replacing most of my suspension parts! Last alignment was told I will need to replace my inner and outer tie-rods anyways.[/QUOTE]

#23 timespell, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  4. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So the CEL was off the following morning and hasn’t come back on. The car has been driven a fair amount since then, including about 12 hours of 70 to 75+ mph interstate driving last week. Nothing seems wrong driving the car, so I’m just going to drive it. If the light comes back on, I suppose I’ll get the code pulled again and then take it from there. I did not come across anything that seemed definitive on what P0011 means, so I’ll probably just call the shop that’s done the most recent work on it and ask them about it if it comes back on...

Happy New Year,
    Doug

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably because it is a relatively uncommon code.
    The link in post #24 takes you to the repair manual for that code. Can't get anymore definitive than that. incidentally, this is from where the hint by S Keith came in post #2.

Hopefully the code stays away and it is a moot point.

#26 dolj, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    dvancleve likes this.
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How hard would it be to remove and clean the VVT filter? At least if the problem came back you would know it was something else.

7. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Could be giving you a false sense of security. When I started having the P0011 code come on, It would sometimes go off by itself and then come on again every now and then. Eventually it came on and stayed on. So I replaced the VVT valve myself. Actually pretty easy to get to and replace and can save you a lot of money by DIY!

Skibob and SFO like this.