1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suddenly getting misfires on all four cylinders

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wrench, Sep 17, 2022.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you leave the vin tag on you save the salvage yard a step before they sell it as a low mile 2015.

2. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was planning on taking the bottom half apart too. I'm an inquisitive person, and taking things apart is just part of what I do to learn... It earned me one of the first serious groundings I can remember as a kid. My grandmother had passed away and I couldn't resist learning how that cool pocket watch worked. Needless to say, a five year old and hairsprings were not a good mix. I got everything apart, but my mother was just a tad upset when she found a box of parts. Later in life, however, she laughed about it. She said that she knew I was going to end up fixing and designing things when I got older. I inherited that gene from my father; there is no question about that....

OK, so it sounds like there is no legal reason why I want/need to either take the VIN off or leave it on. I think I'll probably take it off for whatever reason then. I have no idea if the new engine has the VIN on it and what the legal ramifications are of that. I should have asked Greg about that, but clearly there is a large market for putting used engines into cars. Heck, even the Toyota dealership originally gave me that as an options (albeit with an engine that had 5K fewer miles than the one they were going to pull out....)

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's also a large market for putting hot engines into cars, something to keep in mind if a used engine shows up without a verifiable VIN.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, that is something I didn't even think about when I bought the engine. On the one side, I have the documentation (although it doesn't include a VIN on it) from Hybrid Pit, and it it is a legitimate business. If nothing else, I have a long history here in PriusChat too, so it would be not likely be anything a prosecutor would want to pursue. On the other hand, and in retrospect, I have no idea where Hybrid Pit gets its engines and if they verify that source. This is all something I hadn't even thought about before now....

I do think that I probably am best off leaving the VIN on my block when I take it to the recycler. I have a pink slip if anyone cares. On the other hand, I don't want it reused. So, I'll probably take a sawzall and cut a Vee in one of the cylinders. That should prevent the engine from ever getting into the "low mileage, works perfectly" market. My goal is to properly recycle the engine, not have it screw someone.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ask the recycler before taking them off?...

REVVL V+ 5G ?