1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suddenly getting misfires on all four cylinders

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wrench, Sep 17, 2022.

1. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Try the suggested egr testing by blocking the flow. Remember egr flow is supposed to be off at low speeds and wide open throttle. The shim trick in the egr tube is easy. It will verify a typical egr problem, eg one that is stuck open or leaking past the valve.

2. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @rjparker.... Thanks. That was up on the list of things to try, but there is another storm coming in now... I'm not sure I'll get to it for a few days. Question though.... I'm assuming that I would hear the bucking in the engine though if the root issue were EGR related, right? Or would the influence be so subtle that I'd not hear a hiccup?

3. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sometimes its best to find the referenced video for your entertainment and possible enlightenment. This might take you longer to watch than do. In the end it is a diagnostic tool to be stored in your cranial toolbox.

Warning! Many priuschat egr "facts" are seriously discounted here! If you believe in Santa Claus and other modern online stories this could disillusion you!

4. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for the link. I had actually seen that video a year ago and was aware of the scraper trick; it was on my list of things to try, especially since it seemed likely that the issue was somehow linked to EGR/PCV/etc. According to weather underground, there was an upcoming 2 hour period before rain, which gave me a good opportunity to do the test because it is pretty easy.

First, I wanted to get the motor warm and in the "shuddering" state. Going through the different times I've experienced it, the motor always was warm and had about 0.4 miles driven, so I wanted to do that and witness the shudder. Plus, I wanted to see if I felt I could hear the motor hiccup. In the end, I decided that it was damned hard to tell exactly what the motor *really* sounded like because the roads here suck. That, combined with road noise even at 30MPH makes a *concrete* opinion there kind of difficult. So, I retracted some of my previous thoughts there.

I basically drove around the neighborhood, and got the shudder. I then made the turn back home and spent 5 or 10 minutes putting the paint scraper in place. Off I went. With all the bumps and lousy roads it was bit difficult to say there was *no* shudder, but what was *very* obvious is that, at the very least, there was significantly less. And that by itself is a good sign. I then did the same zip back home and removed remove the blocked return line and took the car out again. The shudder was there (or pronouncedly worse).

So, I think it is fair to say that the EGR valve is a problem. Cool... I'll order a new one of those because I literally just cleaned this one. That has me mystified, but I don't want to beat a dead horse. It is easier to replace the thing and call it a day. I'll also have to figure out if the TSB software update referenced in the video was ever applied. I'm guessing it was as the car was serviced by a dealer until about 3 years ago.

All of this makes me wonder if the EGR was causing the misfire problems on the original engine. No, it still didn't explain the loose rockers, but maybe the misfires... I seem to have experienced two failures at once... Multiple overlaying problems and transients are always the hardest to fix whenever doing any type of engineering issue, so I seem to have inherited the perfect storm here. Still, I'm happy that it looks like we are the tail of this thing. And I'm grateful for the continued thoughts/help while working through the problem

I'll keep y'all posted.

GregC1979 likes this.
  5. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Alan, you may want to buy the EGR "kit" instead of just the valve from Toyota as it's much cheaper and they give you gaskets, seals etc.. in the box.

6. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Greg,
    Yeah, I'm trying to find the P/N for that right now. I'm not having great luck. The kit referenced in the video has a PCV valve in it.... I am assuming that is what I'm looking for, but thus far the only thing I can find is 04004-58137, but that seems to be just the valve and the gaskets.

Do you guys sell the kits? On Edit: I think it is toyota 04004-58137. I'm not sure what kit the guy got that included the PVC valve, but there was one of those in the rebuilt engine anyhow, so I'm not worried about that

#146 wrench, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    GregC1979 likes this.
  7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    He bought the pcv separately.

Dealer mechanics don't do tsb updates unless its called out on the work order. They work on book time rates which means the faster they complete the main job the faster they get to the next job. If you have them update the egr software have them do the inverter update as well.

#147 rjparker, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  8. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Alan, I believe you have the right part number there. We only have one on the shelf I'll have to look next week.

9. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well I *know* I have the inverter update. How do I know that? Because my inverter died on me. Nothing like getting into your car, pushing the button and... the uneasy quiet of a completely dead car.... :( Fortunately, the inverter system was still under warranty so Toyota picked up the tab for that. Not so fortunately, somewhere along the way, the steering position sensor got messed up between the time the tow truck got the car, transported it 2 miles to the dealer, and my getting it back. No idea who was responsible for that, but there was an awful lot of finger pointing going on. Fortunately, the car had been at the dealer the week before and they noted in the logs that there were no error codes at all, so Toyota agreed to pay for half of the repair. In the end, my "free" inverter wasn't so free, but the at least it was fixed for not too much.

Anyhow, at that point in time, Toyota was doing a TSB for updating the inverter firmware because the old firmware was, I am told, burning up inverters.

10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure the old firmware was responsible, bad power transistors was the bad guy as I recall. The firmware update was an attempt to reduce the strain on the hardware which did not work a lot of the time.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As far as I've seen, no person in any position to know has ever said it was "bad power transistors".

That's been more a piece of folklore among PriusChatters, along with the idea that somehow capping acceleration or performance was the only kind of change the firmware could have made to address it. It's usually found in posts where the poster (a) wants to sound more expert in the design of high-power motor inverters than anyone at Toyota, and also (b) sounds completely unfamiliar with the detailed defect information report that was filed with NHTSA.

In the report, an issue was identified with too-rapid cooling of a solder joint, after a burst of high-power operation. Cooling too quickly, the solder would crystallize in some poorly-annealed way.

I also don't know the details of what they changed in the firmware to address that, but if they had asked me to do it, I wouldn't have gone for a cap on the maximum power. I'd have looked for a way to slightly draw out the cooling process, after the use of maximum power. There could be a variety of ways to do that, including sending a little bit of 'afterglow' current straight along the motor's d axis, with no q component so it wouldn't affect the motor rotation. (What are the d and q axes?)

Maybe I'm way smarter than a whole room of Toyota engineers and they never could have thought of that, but that would surprise me. After all, we know they use the same trick to discharge the inverter capacitors and that from a patent they filed back in 2008. (The patent wasn't even about that trick, which they had been using already; the patent was about how they check whether the main relays are welded, before using the trick.)

CR94 likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Air_Boss likes this.
  13. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure to what you are specifically referring. If you are talking about Chapman's last comment, then yes and no. Is it *specifically* relevant to fixing the problem? No. Do I mind the discourse? No, as long as the thread does not migrate into a Toyota engineering thread. My primary goal is to get my car running perfectly again, of course, and secondarily to help others that may have similar problems find solutions without wading too much.

But, don't misunderstand me. I've been employed in engineering for my entire life from avionics, maritime robotics, NASA, and a variety of completely unrelated commercial software systems. I also have a machine shop in my garage and I'm heavily embroiled in commercial CNC machinery. So, yes, I find the comments made by Chapman to be extremely interesting as it relates to the *design* of the inverter subsystem. For what it is worth, I deal with inverters and VFDs frequently on CNC equipment. I've never designed one, but I have done a fair amount of reverse engineering, diagnosis and repair of them. So I follow Chapman's thought process. Will it directly help solve the bucking Bronco (aka, my Prius) and the presumed EGR problem? No. But it is all very interesting.

I'm a curious bloke. I *guarantee* you, for instance, that I'll be taking my old engine apart. I want to understand why the rockers become easily dislodged. And, if my inverter failed, I guarantee you that I'd be taking that apart too, although with the migration to custom ASICs, it is hard to get too much use out of those types of endeavors. When I almost thought my A/C pump went on the Fritz, I was going to take that apart too because I was curious about the VFD they are using inside that. It is in the blood. But, of course, curiosity always kills the cat! :)

GregC1979 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s gotta be something overlooked with that puzzle.

wrench likes this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One other consideration here is that threads are public and long-lived. Any time a comment like "oh, it's bad power transistors, and the firmware was an attempt to reduce the strain" gets added to any thread, relevant or not, and isn't responded to, then it lingers there as a trap for future readers.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, that is a very valid point, @ChapmanF . I think it is worth the extra input in the hopes that it corrects perceptions on where problems may lie. FWIW, I was absolutely *not* "digging" at you. I found the comments very interesting. I try to approach all boards like PriusChat with an even keel. And, yes, I think there is huge benefit in having all of this information public facing. I know that I've learned a lot from other threads, and I hope that others may find benefit in this thread as well.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're all chums then? :ROFLMAO:

18. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    It would surprise me too.

Air_Boss likes this.
  19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe I shouldn't exactly say "thank you" to that, but I'm glad you saw my point. :D

20. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    The surprise me part was you being smarter than a room full of Toyota engineers, not the fact they could have missed something. But I fully digress.

Air_Boss likes this.