1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suddenly getting misfires on all four cylinders

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wrench, Sep 17, 2022.

1. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was going to reflect about one of my previous employers that makes very large airplanes, and how very smart people can still make very dumb collective decisions, but I think I'll leave that incredibly vague and call it a day. :) I'll just leave it as a thought that I fully believe that a room full of Toyota engineers could miss a lot and still be brilliant people. But, I do want to try to keep it back on the topic of this particular Prius V and why it is misbehaving even though it has a new engine in it..... Having multiple problems certainly makes diagnosis more difficult, that is for darned sure... But it seems like the consensus here is validated by empirical test results (shudder, then no shudder, then shudder, the only real difference being a temporary blockage of the EGR). So, I'm planning on replacing the EGR valve. Perhaps I should do the same with the intake manifold. It is odd though. I've looked at the pictures on the internet of the intakes and they are nasty! Mine has always looked really clean. There is no blockage of the EGR channels at all. I still cleaned them out, but overall I've been kind of puzzled why mine have looked good.

Air_Boss likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The EGR valve has some mechanisms that may have failed, while the intake manifold is just a collection of passages. There is a revised version, but the original one is no slouch.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That’s why I asked about the timing chain measurement. Instructions say measure at 3 random points and average. Does the timing chain stretch evenly, meaning across the entire length. Obviously not as three measurements at random points are to be taken. Was it measured? (If I recall correctly the answer is “no”. And also I was given a response that it is not possible to be the cause of the issue, (found and quoted). Of course I have to bow down to those “in the know”, those who said not possible to be the cause. I’ll wait to see if this is ever measured, on the old engine…

Regarding inverter: I am here in Spain where there are a ton of v taxis. I have been looking at the battery meter when I get the chance and they all appear to stay in EV mode a lot longer than our v with NiMH, (at only 35k mi). Obviously the inverter can handle a lot more work as people who switched to Project Lithium power have noticed. (Still wishing there was a way to switch to the center console Li battery, but buying that used is kind of out of the question)….

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My point was exactly that. I thought you had seen it.

Spelling it out a little more, if someone is thinking a roomful of Toyota engineers could think of nothing but capping power as their only firmware fix idea, while one guy on PriusChat could easily think of other ways (using techniques the Toyota engineers clearly are aware of, having mentioned them in a patent) ... well ... that's not the way I would bet. I'd give the engineers more credit than that.

#164 ChapmanF, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Occasionally in error. Never in doubt.

6. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I forgot that at least I owe a picture of a Prius getting the heart transplant!

Oh, and you know.... I tried to get that thing to go into the bay in the orientation shown in the picture... I fought and I fought, but it just wanted to go sideways!!!! :).

These are the trials and tribulations when you are working by yourself. I was hoping to get help from my son, but he was on duty that day and I couldn't wait due to the weather. However, going slow and thinking things through helps a lot. It really wasn't a very difficult job. I do think that having the leveler was a worthwhile add. That and a 4x4 piece of wood to keep the engine engaged with the drive motor splines (so it doesn't slip out as you are trying to install some of the bell housing bolts) made things pretty easy.

For the prep for engine removal, I used a QuickJack 7000lbs lift. For the actual removal and installation, I just had the right front on a stand. And for the rest of the installation, I had the vehicle on 4 jack stands. Overall, I would say that the QuickJack is a very nice unit, but I don't think it was mandatory by any means. I bought it about 8 months ago because I wanted some additional ease and, well, because I got a good deal. I think I've gotten my money's worth out of it, but I'm not totally sold on it yet.

Attached Files:

#166 wrench, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
    jzchen, Air_Boss and GregC1979 like this.
  7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Will it fit?

Attached Files:

wrench likes this.
  8. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm baffled an a little embarrassed... I put a brand new EGR valve in and, although it was better, I still had a little shudder. So I took the intake manifold off an checked it. Son of a !@%^#. The right most (Closest to the EGR) port was almost completely blocked. The next one wasn't that much better. I'm baffled because I could swear on a stack of bibles that I had checked the ports and, in fact, cleaned everything. I'm so convinced of that that I'm wondering if the cleaner might not have completely flashed off and it quickly formed a goo with the exhaust. But let's face it.... That would be a lot of crap in 3 miles! So, I'm thinking that I must have missed the ports. It pains me to say that because I really really feel like I went down the correct path, but I'm absolutely capable of making mistakes. So, I'll own up to it.... My guess is that the EGR valve is probably fine.

So, I cleaned the orifices and tried 'er out.... Purrrrrrr.... I've put about 70 miles on the car in the last few days doing city errands. I have a little highway time but I want to be gentle on the engine for the first 500 miles. I also want to stay close to home for obvious reasons. But I think everything is working fine. So, with the exception of Mr Shoot Yourself In the Foot (me), I think I have a success here! And, I still don't think it was a horrible experience. In fact, I rather enjoyed many aspects of it.

With this out of the way, I have a few other (unrelated machine shop stuff) projects to finish up. After that, I plan on starting to do the forensics on the old engine. I'm curious to see what I find. I have an engine stand and I need to get the engine mounted tomorrow so that I can take the hoist apart. I think I'd like to keep it because it is pretty nice. Plus, with a second Prius V now, I figure I'll have to contact Greg again in a few years! LOL. The other Prius is going into the shop for 2 weeks tomorrow to repair the damage from the tree that fell on it during a recent storm. $3500 damage, which basically means a dent in the rear quarter panel. Welcome to California labor rates.

GregC1979 and CR94 like this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :D The important thing is getting it sorted in the end.

It's also a bit of a victory for sanity, because when you have that pattern of the engine running roughly just at mid-loads, as you kind of described in #138, there's just about nothing for it to be but those passages.

Those are the conditions where EGR is wanted, and the way the shudder comes and goes as you enter and leave those conditions makes a pretty good proof that the EGR valve is opening and closing right when it is asked to, and the upstream isn't clogged, because EGR is happening when the valve opens.

But if EGR happening when EGR is wanted makes the engine run rough, about the only way that's not weird is if those manifold passages aren't delivering it evenly.

I would be kind of questioning my sanity if it had turned out to be something else.

10. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So, that is the thing that is kind of weird. I could swear that one of the comments (above, unfortunately I'm doing this on a phone right now so it is hard to check) indicated that at a quasi-static state, the EGR would be fully CLOSED. In that case, the blocked passages would not have affected the system.... I've been meaning to read up on the EGR when I get a chance. I really need to understand when it is open and when it is closed.... I can easily see how if it *were* open, then having some plugged passages would lead to an imbalance between the cylinders.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not open at very low loads / idle (it would make the idle rough).

It's not open at highest loads (the exhaust takes the place of some combustible mixture, so it reduces the top power, therefore the ECM closes it when you're asking for top power).

Mid-loads between those extremes are where it is used.

wrench likes this.
  12. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Shoot. I'm not at home right now I realize that I need to buy some bolts that I can use to mount the stand pivot to the engine bell housing. Does anyone know the size/thread that is used for that area? I hope to get these tomorrow or the day after before I return home. The goal is to have these bolts so I can put the engine on the stand and take it apart. Ideally I'd use the two threaded holes on the top of the bell housing as when I looked at this before, those seemed to be better situated for my pivot. The lower half has the threads on the drive motor side so the bell housing just has holes. I can use any bolt for that.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Would the existing bolts work, or not, or you just don’t want to stress them, have an engine cantilevering off them.

14. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't have any spares. The existing bolts were used with the new engine

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ahh, my attention span is spread too thin… :unsure:

16. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have information! I took the engine apart and it was interesting. But story-telling is my game, so you have to bear with me a bit.... Prius #2 is in the shop for the tree dent (after just 3 weeks of ownership). They upped the cost to repair to just shy of $5000. Thankfully, I have a $250 deductible. Prius #1 is working through its first 500 since its heart transplant. Aside from the initial depression of shuddering, which was the EGR system, it is doing nicely. My wife is even beginning to believe that the car might work... meaning that she has (albeit suspiciously) taken it out a few times.... She knows how to hit my pride when she jumps for one of the other cars! :-(

Now to the motor.... I got it up on a stand so my 60 year old bones didn't have to stoop (God, am I really that old? What happened?)... I popped the top cover and then the side cover. The chain was tight but when I removed the tensioner guide, I noticed that I could rock the intake cam back and forth about 10 degrees with no effort. Not correct. Then I looked down at the crank it is was immediately obvious. The crank timing gear was cracked in 3 places. The crank position sensor disk was able to free-wheel and there was obviously not a positive correlation between crank and cam positions.

IMG_4731.JPG IMG_4732.JPG

So... of came the head. The gasket actually looks like it is in fantastic condition, to the point where you could probably use it again, although I don't think I would. There is absolutely NO evidence of any current or pending issues with the head gasket job I did, thankfully.

HOWEVER.... When I looked at the valves, it became immediately apparent why the rockers were loose. Now, if you know this is an interference engine, you will already have guessed the issue. With a broken crank timing gear, well worse... one that partially worked, the intake valves are bent like a spaghetti noodle. Oddly, though, they are all bent in one direction (and I don't mean the music group)

IMG_4724.JPG IMG_4725.JPG

You can see some fairly minor damage to the block, and also see the strikes on the pistons. It also looks like the exhaust side hit too, which would make sense. I'm not sure why the exhaust side doesn't look as bad as the intake, to be honest.

IMG_4726.JPG IMG_4727.JPG IMG_4728.JPG IMG_4729.JPG IMG_4730.JPG

The lack of steam cleaned pistons is nice. it is also consistent with what I had seen with the spark plugs. But now the big question.... Why did the gear break? I don't really believe in coincidences, so I am guessing that *I* must be the culprit, but I don't really know where/how. The best guess I have is it is when I replaced the tensioner to try to diagnose the misfire. But, I put the tensioner in, then did a small reverse turn to release the clip... that is all. That is pretty standard and, more to the point, I don't see how I could have caused the tensioner to somehow become too tight. It did feel pretty tight, but again, the normal operation of the engine would, I am reasoning, tighten the tensioner to anything I could have done. But I *have* to strongly assume that this must be the root cause... or maybe it is just bad luck?

The other curiosity here is the original misfire. Given that I now have pretty conclusive proof that the head gasket was fine, that means we don't know the cause and, worse, I might get it again.... I am *thinking* that it might be related to the plugged EGR passages? It usually gave me the service light when I was at a steady state throttle, kind of the same thing as when I was getting the shudder.

Anyhow, getting a new engine isn't the worst thing in the world. In 20K, the engine clogged up one and a half of the EGR cylinder feed tubes, so I'm guessing the car was starting to burn more oil (although it never showed on the dipstick). And, now I have the better pistons and rings. With luck, this engine will give me another 120K, and at 240K total, I'd call that the most successful vehicle I've ever owned. So, it is all good.

I welcome your thoughts on the root cause or anything else. Learning is about discovering what you've done right and what you've done wrong. I have done a blend of the two throughout my entire life.

Also, does this kill the head? Is it possible to replace the valves and have a good head again, or are the seat likely to be all buggered up? I suspect that even if it were OK, though, replacing 16 valves (I'm assuming that both sides are bent) is probably not cost effective.

#176 wrench, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  17. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I will guess the gear broke after the valves hit the pistons. Something had to give. Perhaps the timing was slightly off from the hg job (somewhat common) and then got worse with the tensioner replacement. Sounds possible to me. Does this kill the head? I think the whole engine is in a better place and no longer hurts.

wrench likes this.
  18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    An Atkinson cycle engine spends a lot of time with intakes open and little time with exhausts open. That alone could account for the damage distribution.

wrench likes this.
  19. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Both posts make sense. I was thinking that the gear was more the *problem* than the weak link. The car drove for 20K miles before the catastrophic failure, and about 2000 after the chain tensioner replacement. Both are a pretty long time to run without hitting the pistons (i.e. missed link), I would think. Of course, in the end it is impossible to know for sure. Once the gear broke, any ability to verify the correct timing went out the window. :(

20. wrench

wrench Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When I recycle the old engine, should I pull the VIN tags off the block? Is there a reason I need to keep these? Will I have issues recycling the engine if there is no VIN tag (hence not able to prove I own it), etc?