1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestion - Clean the Fan intake for the battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Runswithdog, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Runswithdog

Runswithdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    During a crazy strong rain which flooded our streets, my Prius C had water almost covering the back wheels even though it was parked on our inclined driveway. Fortunately, water was not very high at the engine compartment. Inspecting the condition of the car I found the spare tire compartment was dry but the floor of the back seats was soaking wet. I realized I needed to dry out this area throughly and began to disassemble the trim so I could remove the carpet and the padding underneath. After quickly removing the trim covering the HV battery, I discovered the screen over the cooling fan intake was covered with dust which surprised me as I keep my car pretty clean and it is less than three years old. The dust was easy to remove with the vacuum.

I would make a suggestion to others to pop off this one cover every few years and clean the screen as it will keep your battery running a bit cooler.

Once I have the padding out and the carpet lifted, I let the car dry out by placing a box fan inside the car and letting the car run with the heat and AC on for 31 hours! It was impressive how little gas the car used. I can see now how those people who have used the car to provide emergency power with an inverter that this is not a bad idea.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's your (rough) location, if you don't mind?

3. eddie27970

eddie27970 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As Confucius would say, "I'm sooooo Confusssed" Can you explain more on using the HV batteries with an Inverter during emergencies.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. AtkinsonCycle

AtkinsonCycle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi eddie27970. There are people who have connected 12VDC (input) to 120VAC or 240VAC (output) inverters to their Priuses in emergency situations where they have lost grid power. The HV battery can also be used, but poses a whole bunch of precautions and dangers that are best left to professionals. The 120VAC (or 240VAC) power can be used to power items you would use in your home. There are some precautions you need to take. You can't just connect the output of the inverter to your electrical panel - you might backfeed the lines and kill an electrical worker! Also, you have to match the load to the supply - if you try to power too many devices, less than desirable consequences will result. There are actually two choices for battery voltage supply off the Prius - the 12VDC battery and the traction battery (this one varies depending on which Prius you have. I believe the C is 144VDC). Most people use the 12VDC battery. This limits the load the inverter can power, but in most cases, will get you through. Of course the benefits of using the Prius as a source of electrical power is obvious - you don't have to buy a generator, your Prius only runs when needed to recharge the battery, you can drive your Prius to the gas station when you need to refill, etc. The biggest thing to remember is that there are precautions you need to follow when doing just about anything. Electricity can kill if some procedures are not followed. I will say that depending on what you want to power and what inverter type you want, the inverter can be costly. I am not trying to discourage you. If you need specifics, please ask.