1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestions for commute

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by ChrisTaylor, Sep 9, 2007.

1. ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor New Member

Possibly our family maybe relocated from midwest to the kennilworth or Summit area. I have not been to the area and am trying to figure out a decent commute time (probably not the 4 min. I now enjoy) From looking at all the mapping choices, paper, internet, etc. it seems I would need to be further WSW or WNW of those 2 towns to avoid congestion on the highways. I would like about 20-30 min. commute maximun, or is that even possible. One more thing, when we move I will be getting a Prius and will actively join your group.
    Thanks for any and all comments, suggestions, and advice.
    Christine

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Christine @ Sep 9 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]509861[/snapback]</div>
    Where would you be commuting to?

3. ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor New Member

Where will I be commuting to?

New poster to this site, please bear with. I did not make my initial post clear. Will be working in the Kennilworth, Summit, NJ area. Don't know where to beging to look for a house that is within commute distance of work area. On the maps, everything is so congested compared to the midwester plains. There are so many towns around I don't know where to start. Looking for SF home, newer construction. Any suggestions of towns around that anyone can recommend will be appreciated and I will research. Compute time is a real factor for us, as we have never had one. I have been lurcking on Prius Chat and have been using all the tips for driving better, my old 96 MiniVan is getting better mileage. Someday soon a Prius.

Christine

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you thought of contacting a realtor in the area with the information and your needs? They might be able to suggest locations and houses that meet your needs. They could also tell you about the different routes.

5. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 10 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]509911[/snapback]</div>
    Godiva's suggestion is a good one - I'm a Realtor w/Coldwell Banker in North Jersey, but that area is a little outside the area I normally service - and I'm scheduled for knee replacement surgery on Wednesday, so I'm not taking on any new clients right now anyway - btw, the Prius is a big hit with my clients, and I think a couple are seriously looking at it now to purchase (I could refer you to a Realtor in that area if you want).

What you will need to provide (at a minimum) when you speak with a Realtor:
    Time frame (when you plan to purchase)
    Price range (this may exclude whole towns based on your other needs) and if you're carrying a mortgage, you'll need a current pre-approval
    Minimum # of bedrooms needed
    Preferred style of house (if this is important)
    Basically, you need to define your needs, and then include your wants (most people begin their home search with a lot of needs, then decide they are more wants as they continue to search).
    Note: We do not list square footage in NJ unless it's new construction - I've worked with a number of relo people for whom this was very frustrating, since the majority of the country uses this to determine $/sq. ft.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hi Christine and welcome to PriusChat,
    GoogleMaps has added a new feature to their mapping and directions function: the ability to drag the route line around. So here's what you do:
    1. go to www.maps.google.com
    2. click the "Directions" tab
    3. enter the starting location and the destination
    4. realize that there are a few different ways to accomplish numbers 2 and 3
    5. use your mouse to drag the blue route line around.

There are a few things to keep in mind. When you drag the line, it creates a way point. Sort of a sub-destination. Be sure to remove those way points when creating a new route.

Good luck and let us know how your commute turns out.

7. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Christine @ Sep 10 2007, 02:04 AM) [snapback]509908[/snapback]</div>
    As someone who commutes to that general area (South Orange) every day, commute times will most likely be a toss-up most days. Mapquest estimates about 15-20 minutes to get from Summit to Kenilworth. But if there's problems on I-78 or the Parkway, the local roads can get clogged in a hurry.

I can say that parts of South Orange and Maplewood are quite nice, and about the same distance from both Kenilworth & Summit. I don't now how much new construction there is.

I'd take ZenCruiser up on his offer to refer you to a Realtor.

8. ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor New Member

Thank you for all your suggestions. To Godiva and ZenCruiser you both recommend a realtor, and that's what we will be doing. We are still in the negotiation stage, nothing is final. I am trying to plan ahead. ZenCruiser I will be taking you up on a referral for that area, I know nothing about New Jersey. Proco thanks for the first hand knowlege. TonyPSchaefer I can't wait to try the GOOGLE suggestion. What a nice welcome from the citizens of New Jersey.
    Christine

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Christine @ Sep 10 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]510024[/snapback]</div>
    That's right! :) Here's my own short list of the best things about New Jersey:

1. The view of New York.

2. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

3. The Sopranos.

4. New Jersey PriusChatters and their sympathizers.

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Sep 10 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]510076[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for NOT mentioning the shore! We have too many people clogging our roads in the Summer already. The shore stinks! Stay away!! :p :D

(if you do come down, please be respectful of the locals & the beaches. thank you.)
    [attachmentid=11330]

Attached Files:

11. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Christine,
    Sent you an email, please let me know if you didn't receive it for some reason.

Proco,
    Perhaps changing where you're from in your profile from "The Beautiful NJ Shore" to something like "Septic Wasteland" might make your dreams of lessened traffic come true... :D

12. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Sep 10 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]510195[/snapback]</div>
    I could always change my avatar to this ... :p
    [​IMG]

13. ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor New Member

Would you recommend any particular towns within a 20-40 minute commute of Summit? Any new developments or smaller nice towns? I am very open at this time. I am just looking for a commute no longer than 40 minutes and an interesting place to live. Thanks again.
    Christine

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Christine, welcome to the site & the state. Hopefully we will meet at one of our gatherings. I'm from SJ so I don't have any specific advice. However, you definitely don't want to get caught in the prevailing commuter traffic. If possible, try to live where you are driving South in the morning (away from NY) and North in the evening. Normally traffic doesn't back up both ways. Again, your realtor should be able to provide appropriate advice.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Christine, welcome to the site & the state. Hopefully we will meet at one of our gatherings. I'm from SJ so I don't have any specific advice. However, you definitely don't want to get caught in the prevailing commuter traffic. If possible, try to live where you are driving South in the morning (away from NY) and North in the evening. Normally traffic doesn't back up both ways. Again, your realtor should be able to provide appropriate advice.

16. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Christine-
    welcome to NJ and by all means check out NJ Transit!

We have VERY good train service here and depending where your office is there may be bus or jitney service from the station to your offices. For example I know Maplewood has a very popular jitney program.
    You might ask your employer about public transportation and if they participate in the transitcheck program.

Also housing in that most of jersey is sky high, so you may be greatly influenced by your budget and also your family requirements: ie schools, etc. the Big Apple is close and is always interesting.
    I chose Trenton because of the easy commute to NY and it is also easy to get to Philly, the shore and the boondocks from here.... But it would not be easy to get to Summit! Lots of luck!

17. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome Christine,

It seems to me that I always end up living Northwest of where I work, and I've changed jobs and housing a number of times in the past 20 years. Housing in Northern NJ is SKY-HIGH, but it seems that the further Northwest you go, the cheaper the housing is.

Good luck!
    Rand

18. darlenegalik

darlenegalik New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Christine @ Sep 11 2007, 04:27 PM) [snapback]510777[/snapback]</div>
    Christine,

Let me add my Welcome to you, also !

I'm a lifelong NJ resident, so let me add a few things. First of all Summit is a pretty expensive town, while Kenilworth is nice, but not so expensive. I live in Union County - in the Elmora section of Elizabeth, close enough to Kenilworth that I do my grocery shopping in the A&P on the Boulevard in Kenilworth. Kenilworth is close to the Garden State Parkway which is a very good commute - not like the commercial freeway type highways. There's lots of trees and birds, deer, along the road. To avoid traffic, you would want to take JimN's advice and go south in the AM, and north in the PM. As far as new construction, there are plenty of single family and condo type structures going up. If you're going to be working near Schering-Plough in Kenilworth, that's on the border with Union, NJ - this is also a very nice town to live in.

Keep us posted on your progress, maybe I'll see your Prius at the A&P parking lot soon !

Darlene

19. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rand Reed @ Sep 15 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]512829[/snapback]</div>
    This is true of where I work however the homes are cheaper for good reason, it's crap over there. I'll stay here in the southern hills where it's nice.

Welcome to the forum Christine, good luck finding a nice place to live. (sorry, useless Aussie post)

20. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Best list --

don't forget Pine Barrens :nod: