1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestions for driving on stop & go steep hills

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mickey513, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem solved, thanks. Visited San Francisco again for dinner last night with some friend and ran it on power mode through these steep hill, drove a lot like a normal car.:thumb:

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to help :)

As a first time automatic driver with the prius i am well used to balancing the clutch at junctions/hills/in stop and go, so understand your frustration. Personally i don't like the hill assist feature, mainly because the "dead" time is way too long, the traffic behind has seen you come off the brake but you haven't started moving. if they're not paying attention.... oh dear.

P.s. if i am thinking of the right city, then i am now imagining a Prius in "Bullit", and see why Power mode is required :D

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You know you don't have to wait for hill start assist to cancel before you accelerate, right? Once you step on the gas pedal, it releases. You can even try it on level ground and notice a difference; there's a bit of stickiness before the car starts moving, and then it goes somewhat suddenly once the brakes release.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I didn't even recognize your screenname so I had to search for them and the only thing I could find was a fellow member and myself educating you on the fact that some TSBs do make the dealer quite a bit money. Your dismissive attitude has no place in this community.

5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    32k, agree with your assessment. A little manners (or attitude adjustment) goes a long way on this forum. We've seen what happens when a poster continues the same path, thinking everyone else has a problem and not them. They don't get it and it ends up invalidating what they're trying to say.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When necessary use both feet (left on brake, right on gas). Problem solved. Toyota is not going to change the control algorithm.

7. wewant2prius

wewant2prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I live in Pittsburgh, PA, which is very hilly. Most of the roads are hilly and winding; driving on a flat, straight road here is a rarity. Even the interstates navigate hills. So my concern is getting the best mileage when I almost always have to accelerate to keep up to the speed limit no matter which road I drive on.

8. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same situation here in Vermont.