1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestions for P0A80 error - Replace/Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by VintageGold, Aug 19, 2021.

1. VintageGold

VintageGold Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It seems like it's about that time. 2012 with 198K miles.

About a month ago, I got the error code P0A80 for the first time when my car failed to stay in EV and unexpectedly kicked on the ICE and displayed "Check Hybrid System". Since then, I've had it three other times, all when going in and out of the EV range (think accelerating in stop-and-go traffic or up a hill from under 35 mpg) - the ICE kicked on and threw the error.

I ran Dr. Prius and got these reports:
    [​IMG]

The app recommends I replace the battery based on the health of one of the blocks and the remaining capacity.

1. Based on the mileage, the error that keeps getting thrown, and the report from Dr. Prius, I assume it's time to bite the bullet and replace the hybrid/traction battery, correct?
    2. Should I go OEM or aftermarket?
    3. If aftermarket, which battery would you recommend? I've seen the brands/products from newpriusbatteries.com and projectlithium.com mentioned a few times in different threads.
    4. Are there any other parts that may cause this failure? How can I rule out the inverter?
    5. I believe I saw a few people mention replacing the inverter as part of a service bulletin or recall may help with hybrid/traction battery issues. Does that seem to apply here? Where can I find out if my car qualifies for this, just call a dealer, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time!

2. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If anyone has insight into my issue, I'd love your input.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're getting P0A80, that is specific to the traction battery.

There is an extended warranty that covers you to year 15 if the different issue involving the inverter ever happens to you, but that's not the issue you have here.

4. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the 15 year traction battery warranty available regardless of what state you live in? For example, I live in Utah.

If for some reason it doesn't, would you suggest an aftermarket battery like newpriusbatteries or projectlithium?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not aware of any such thing as a 15 year traction battery warranty anywhere at all.

The 2012 Warranty and Maintenance Guide shows a standard "Hybrid System" warranty to eight years or 100,000 miles anywhere; in California and other places with California standards, there is "Hybrid Battery" coverage to ten years or 150,000 miles.

#5 ChapmanF, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  6. VintageGold

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for your help. It seems in this case a warranty doesn't apply.

Do you have any experience with newpriusbatteries or projectlithium or do you suggest going OEM?