1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestions needed for siphoning out windshield wiper fluid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by StephenFromCT, Nov 4, 2020.

1. StephenFromCT

StephenFromCT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,

I want to empty my windshield wiper fluid reservoir before filling it up with -20F fluid. Yes, I know to pump the -20F fluid into both the front AND rear lines.

Rather than simply run the windshield fluid pumps, I am thinking about using a simple siphon.

If you have done this I have two questions:

1) What (approximately) is the outside diameter (OD) of the tubing you used?
    2) What length of tubing do you suggest?

One simple option is to purchase fish tank "air hose" tubing, but I do not if the OD is too wide. I am hoping I can get some tried-and-tested advance before I have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks ahead of time.

Stephen

2. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    About 6 years ago, I was driving on the highway on a snowy day in the morning at around -25 to -30C. I pulled eventually needed to pull the wiper fluid to clear the slush/dirt. The cheap -40 degree fluid splattered on the windshield but immediately frosted up. I could barely see enough to get off the highway. It was dangerous.

That day I immediately went home and bought an expensive quality winter wiper fluid. I simply pulled the wiper to spray and drain out the existing fluid. When the wiper fluid tank was just about empty, I added in or diluted some quality fluid and sprayed it out again. I stopped pulling the wiper after 2-3 time cycles and filled the rest up with the better fluid.

Long story short, I simply drained it by pulling the wiper spray. You can probably use a combination of the siphon and wiper spray. I normally use 3/4 of a jug a year due to Canadian winters. The wiper spray motor should be to take some abuse.

3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do you own a shop vac?

If so:

His idea is brilliantly simple!

spiralhelix likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just did exactly what you plan. We were headed north and didn't know how cold it might get. I used a 6' piece of clear tubing from the hardware store. It took a couple tries to get a solid enough stream to keep the siphon going, but once it was working, it did great.

The tricky part was knowing when the tube was at the bottom of the washer tank and not feeding in so much tube that it would curl back up toward the top of the tank. What I ended up doing was feeding in the tube along with the washer fluid "dipstick." By pushing them down together, I knew that I was as close to the bottom as I was going to get when the dipstick hit bottom. Once I figured out that little trick, it was a smooth operation.

#4 jerrymildred, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Simply pulling a tube connection on the output side of the pumps usually causes fluid to drain out, quite rapidly, by gravity. Whether it reconnects and seals nicely so far for me yes but the older the tubes the less likely...

moto g(7) power ?