1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

suggestions on used prius shopping

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hpat, Dec 8, 2018.

1. hpat

hpat New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    first, if this has already been asked, please direct me to the thread!

i need some help shopping for a used prius. my ‘06 civic that i have owned for 6 years was totaled and i need to find a car by next week. ill only have $3000 down, but im willing to invest up to $15k (ideally lower but i want to get something that will last me). i was originally looking at priuses up to $10k but wasnt finding anything newer than 2010 and less mileage that 120k. ive recently found a few 2014 with 20-40k miles for under 15k (with clean titles and from dealerships).

what i want to know is what is the oldest and highest mileage one would suggest for minimum repairs and longevity? i will be driving it quite a bit, from the 20mi roundtrip commite everyday and the occasional roadtrips. any advice is appreciated! <3

Princer likes this.
  2. hpat

hpat New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i should add that i will also take recommendations on other used hybrids to consider. in the end i just want a car thatll last me a long long time. hyrbid preferred, good gas mileage conventional OK. only feats i care about are heated seats and push to start.

3. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hard to answer, due to many factors to consider when purchasing a used car. Would not go any older than 2012 the mid cycle refresh. You get LED DDLs and styling improvements.

Look at cars that have service history. Have been driven at least 10K a year. This assures that the hybrid battery has been exercised. Be aware that the EGR System is the weakest link to G3s. They are prone to clog up beyond 150K. Therefore needs to be cleaned by 120K, the same time for major service. There are other factors to consider like any used car.

Good luck with your car search and keep us posted.;)

m.wynn likes this.
  4. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I personally would look for 2010+ with low miles and Package 5 if you want heated seats. If you cant find one if your price range, then look harder! They are out there! If you need help looking, then ask for help!

Bay Stater likes this.
  5. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't find anything your looking for and would consider a Prius C. Mine is for sale.

2016 - just hit 28k
    Package 2 - so no push button start & no heated seats though. I'm not too far from you. I'm actually looking to get into a Civic. But it's a logical choice for me - my sons a Master Honda tech...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get another civic

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or a Fit, I have a soft spot for those, not sure why.

Princer, Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I thought your soft spot had a Jeep in it:p.

9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I used a car buying service provided by my insurance company for both of my Prius purchases. Both were lease returns and my 2011 was a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle, but be careful with that designation. When I checked it over at home I found various things, like only 22 psi in the spare tire. At my insistence they re-did the check. I still have them do most of the routine maintenance on the vehicle, which is approaching 200K now.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Unless your occasional road trips include cross country treks, that's not a lot of miles in a year. Not enough to warrant the extra expense of a hybrid IMHO.

Your commute accounts for less than 5K miles/year -- assuming you have 8-10 holidays and 2 weeks of vacation/year. At that rate, a 40mpg car vs a 30mpg car will only save you $125 per year. (based on 5K miles driven and $3/gallon gas)

Is your commute mostly highway or city driving?

How often are your occasional road trips, and how far do you go?

Your short commute puts you squarely in the pool of people who should seriously consider an electric car -- like a Nissan Leaf. I have a 20 mile round trip commute each day. I have a garage and we're a two-car family -- my wife has Prius V wagon -- so if we need to travel a long distance, we have a car capable of doing that. If I didn't need to have tow vehicle for my camper and my boat, I'd have a pre-owned Nissan Leaf in the driveway instead of my 4Runner.

In your case, if you only road trip 4-5 times/year, you could rent a car for those times and be way ahead. Again, IMHO. (y)

11. hpat

hpat New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

i rent so i dont want a plug in (although it would be awesome!). and my “roadtrips” are cross country because i live in the midwest and crave the southwest i recently saw a few 2017 ford fusion hybrids with 20k miles; ive steered clear of anything other than honda and toyota in the past because from my experience theyre the most well made (but i have very minimal car knowledge). is this a good car?

12. IN D

IN D New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also looking for a used Prius. A dealer lists a 2011 Prius v, (yes lower case) but was this the wagon, or a roman numeral 5? Carfax says it was originally shipped 10/29/2011. Any help?

#12 IN D, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fusion gets very high ratings.
    They haven’t sold well and are being discontinued and heavily discounted.
    I wouldn’t hesitate to buy, but the price should reflect all that

Johnny Cakes and Bay Stater like this.
  14. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius v is the wagon. But you could buy my 2016 Prius C. There is a picture of it earlier in this thread.

15. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have no experience with the Fusion, but personally, I wouldn't want to own a Ford. If you don't need the space of a Prius hatchback, the Prius C mentioned elsewhere in this thread would be an excellent choice. I would also consider non-hybrid offerings from Toyota or Honda:
    Honda Fit or Civic. Toyota Yaris, Matrix, Corolla.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a newer used Hybrid, unfortunately the desire for heated seats, really bumps up what trim levels you're looking at.
    Would you consider used Prius c's?
    Would you consider a heated seat pad?

If you are willing to look at slightly more "basic" trim levels, and maybe even a Prius c, then you could look at "newer" potentially lower mileage vehicles at a lower price.

My opinion is that heated seats and push button start, is great. BUT, IMO they are niceties not necessities.

17. hpat

hpat New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what are you aski
    idk how to message on here how much are you asking for? i could be very interested!!!

18. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Got your msg & replied with the info you asked about. Also included a pdf which contains the VIN# & build specs.

hpat likes this.
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I added a seat heater to our c-two. Very simple cushion-and-backrest pad with good adjustable straps and a non-slip backing. It fits the seat well and we barely notice it anymore. It was trivial to attach the control pod to the console near the emergency brake handle. Whole thing cost less than $40 and took 20 minutes to put in and adjust properly. Toasty. And when it burns out (because they all burn out) it'll only be another $40 and 20 minutes to replace it, unlike the built-in kind.

Regarding the rest of the car? I suggest that you seek newer rather than lower miles. Age seems to cause more problems than usage.

You buy a Prius to save at the pump. You buy a Civic to save at the mechanic. Gas is cheap lately. Just sayin'.

#19 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    hpat likes this.
  20. hpat

hpat New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah the more i look the more i realize the whole heated seat and push to start thing is just excessive

and thank you for that info about maybe looking for newer than lower miles. hopefully thatll help in my search....

i appreciate all of the SUPER helpful feedback everyone!!!!<3

Raytheeagle likes this.