1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suing over Pre-Collision System

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 9, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <GROAN>
    Source: National Class Action Filed For Prius Pre-Collision System - HybridCars.com

I will be following this one closely because last month I was looking at a Lincoln MKZ that comes with collision avoidance. Our next car will have this important safety feature.

Toyota only offers collision avoidance (i.e., advanced technology, what an obscure, non-descriptive term) with a bunch of 'eye candy' as a pre-condition, they are telling this buyer that only the most expensive Prius can have it. We don't have to be told twice and that means a 'luxury' Ford hybrid with collision avoidance is price competitive. Toyota pricing of collision avoidance is driving us to the competition.

Bob Wilson

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I kinda like the MKZ, but It's a little bit more than I want to spend for a car.
    One of the groovy things about technology is that even us blue collar work-a-day folk will be driving an entry-level car with PCS before too long.
    Cars cost a butt-ton of money as a result, but you can't say that they're not also much safer as well as MUCH more reliable than they were in the days of vinyl seats and big fins. ;)

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

problem with the suit is that it is based on false information - up until 2014 models, no Toyota/Lexus had City Brake feature which is what was tested in test (and only up to 15 mph too, it wont auto brake at higher speeds). Few weeks ago they added it to most of their 2014 Lexus models.

They are confusing radar cruise control that can stop the car with Pre-Collision system that will "only" warn you and prime all the systems for crash - as was noted in all marketing materials. Radar cruise control will work properly when activated but this is not what was tested.

Even cars with city brake system dont work automatically above 25 mph.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "When there is a high possibility of a frontal collision, the system warns
    the driver using a warning light, warning display and buzzer. If the sys-
    tem determines that a collision is unavoidable, the brakes are automat-
    ically applied to reduce the collision speed. Pre-collision braking can be
    disabled using the pre-collision braking off switch.
    Pre-collision braking:
    • Vehicle speed is greater than about 10 mph (15 km/h).
    • The speed at which your vehicle is approaching the obstacle or the
    vehicle running ahead of you is greater than about 10 mph (15 km/h).
    • The pre-collision braking off switch is not pressed"
    From the 2013 Prius manual, http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47791U/pdf/sec_02-04.pdf

Only specifies reducing the collision speed. The suite will come down to how well Toyota stressed that.

Here's info on the IIHS test.
    What you need to know about the new IIHS crash prevention ratings | Torque News.

Subaru, Cadillac, and Volvo all did well to great on the new IIHS test using camera, radar, or laser based system. So Toyota can't claim the test doesn't work with their sensor choice of radar. But I think its main failing is not meeting NHTSA minimum requirements in alerting the driver of a collision.

F8L likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nasty
    National Class Action Filed For Prius Pre-Collision System - HybridCars.com
    Who is suing?

Why are they suing? Its pretty clear to make money, they already got a chunk of that $1.6B and probably know some dirt to get toyota to give them money.

NHTSA fought for years with toyota about unintended acceleration, and when you fight the regulators, and people die, you are going to lose lawsuits. But what government organization that regulates safety is responsable for this?
    It wasn't a government organization it was a pac. A pac with quite possibly flawed testing methodology, and a need for publicity. We don't even have a list of any accidents where the system failed, nor an implied warranty that Toyota would pass a test that did not even exist when they sold most of the cars. If it actually does fail to do what it is advertised, and does not meet NHTSA criteria toyota needs to fix the systems, but I doubt that is what this is all about. This is just another frivolous lawsuit that will stifle innovation.

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

You dont really seem to understand what I am trying to say.

IIHS tested new City Brake feature, also called Auto brake. Not available in any Toyota/Lexus prior to 2014.
    It is not the same as radar cruise control or PCS. PCS was always advertised as system that will only apply (small amount) of brakes when collision is imminent - not to prevent it. I have read many PR releases for Toyota and Lexus and that was always stressed out.

City Brake function also doesnt work above 25mph in any vehicle, at least not properly, most cars tested will still hit the target if you dont apply brakes yourself.

So as to lawsuit, you could sue any manufacturer from that list as their system does not prevent the crash, even with City brake feature they all operate differently.

It is like suing car manufacturer because they advertised brakes but their car stops in 130ft instead of 125ft which someone determined to be enough to get "top pick" rating.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No, I understood. I was actually agreeing with your post, that the pre-collision system is only designed to lessen an impact.

Now, if the IIHS tested a 2014 with City Brake, their results look worse for Toyota.

8. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has distracted driving gotten so bad now that this type of thing is needed? Are drivers today that much worse than the bad old days when the only electronics in a car was a radio?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A turkey jumped out in front of my Prius. The pre-collison system worked great, delivering exactly as advertised. Even though I was paying attention, the computer sounding an alarm, flashing a warning, retracting the seatbelts, and braking was quite helpful.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • aging slows reaction times
    • aging dims eyes
    • aging can dull attention
    • aging changes medication side effects
    These do not happen instantly but over time, there are moments that grow longer or more frequent. When detected by a police officer or driver's license review, good. But when it happens in an accident, hopefully just a single car.

I still follow Prius accidents but do not share them with PriusChat . . . but I've noticed a tendency for Prius accidents with 70+ year olds. Many of them are single car but sometimes another vehicle is involved and injure or kill younger people. It isn't that the Prius is more dangerous but it looks like there is an age bias in the drivers.

My wife is older than me by more than 10 years so I get to see the effects of aging up close and personal. Yet she still has a driver's license and thinks she is a good driver. If she is going to be behind the wheel, I want a computer assisting in watching out and applying the brake and keeping her in the lane.

Bob Wilson

11. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All one has to do is drive anywhere....and I mean anywhere in any direction for 20 minutes. The answer to your question will become very apparent.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the historical traffic death figures are any guide, this type of thing could have saved far more lives in the bad old days than it can now.

13. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My system is often too quick to warn me of trouble ahead.

Normally, this happens as I approach a stopped or nearly stopped vehicle when approaching going uphill.

My experience lets me judge that my car is going to lose speed as it is also going up hill, and as a result, I will either press on the brake pedal a little bit lighter than normal, or press it a little later than if I was driving on level ground.

Also, I've felt the system apply the brakes quite firmly the odd time, when appropriate I might add, over the years driving it in various traffic situations.

Seems to me that the issues of both this lawsuit and IIHS testing could be resolved with a reflash of the PCS computer.

Of course, things will likely first have to play out in the courts.

Roland.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well now I understand why the EU cars are advertising this:
    Source: Era of Accident-Free Driving May be Within Reach | TheDetroitBureau.com

Hummm, a 2014 Prius with another 10% boost in MPG and the option of collision avoidance for any trim . . . now that is attractive!

Bob Wilson

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Back then the death rate was much higher.
    Car Crash Fatality Statistics | Statistic Brain
    Almost 5 times higher in 1960 versus 2010.

Today we have many more potential collisions (more cars per mile of road), more texting, still see women putting on makeup while driving. Eating while driving and drunk driving has gone down and deaths, but why not reduce it even more.

The problem here is the lawyers, not that technology is improving, but doesn't work perfectly.