1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suitable substitutes for the Toyota ATF-WS transmission or transaxle fluid?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rocketboy235, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed. Car has 174k on it right now and the fluid has been changed twice so far. I actually like the fact it's slightly thicker at temp then WS as well. Better protection for the duty cycle the car sees and no measurable effect on MPG.

j12piprius likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmm, somehow I missed this reply a year and a half ago....

I've just spent not quite ten minutes (I bumped the speed up) watching those ten minutes of the video to see where he said that, but I don't believe he said the base stock doesn't matter, or even that the additive package matters more. What he says turns out to be here:

[​IMG]

and all he appears to be saying is that the base is not the only thing that matters.

What you're looking for is a product that passes a particular whole suite of tests specified by a manufacturer. Simply being told that a product is synthetic doesn't tell you that.

Even if a product would have to be synthetic in order to pass all the tests (which might be the case), just being told "hey this product is synthetic" is nice to know but not enough; the question is still "does it pass all the tests?".

It's like if you're deciding whether to accept a $100 bill from me, and you know it had better be printed on rag stock, with green and black ink, and signed by the US treasurer and treasury secretary.

If I hand you a thing printed on rag stock, that by itself doesn't make it a $100 bill. In saying that, I'm not saying the stock doesn't matter, and I'm not saying the ink matters more. I'm just saying it's not a Benjamin unless all the specifications are met.

Attached Files:

3. Abarnabe

Abarnabe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If Toyota ATF WS standard was developed in 2002, then it wasn't designed to protect the MG windings paint insulation, because it wasn't in contact with it before Gen 3 or ( 2009 )

I have done 2 oil changes with Mannol ATF WS, on my 270k km prius 3 ,the last time in 2022, but today there is no way to find it anymore in 1 or 4 liters bottles.

I can only find warehouse left overs of 10 or 20 liters jerrycans on Autodoc.

So yesterday I've done my last tranny oil change with Mannol Dexron 6

Attached Files:

#463 Abarnabe, Jun 15, 2024 at 5:58 AM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024 at 6:18 AM
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cost difference is about a dollar. Why risk damage to the transmission?
    Just because something or someone says it okay to use something else, who knows what
    it's doing to the electric motors???
    The "average" miles a year for most people is 12,000 miles. So you're changing it every
    4 years.

5. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maxlife LV works well. Done many CVT fluid changes in Prius over many years on more than 2 dozen pri and no failures. Can't from wrong with dealer fluid, but this seems to be ok as well. I'll admit only dealer fluid is guaranteed to not cause problems tho

Abarnabe likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Abarnabe is Toyota ATF WS hard to get in Netherlands?

7. Abarnabe

Abarnabe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it is available, but at the price of 20 usd per liter + 20 usd shipping

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "wasn't in contact with it before Gen 3" is clearly false, given that Toyota published a paper explaining the change from not-in-contact in Gen 0 (the 1997 Japan-only car) to in-contact in Gen 1. The paper described the winding varnish being reformulated to resist the oil used in Gen 1 (which was T-IV, because ATF WS was still in development). That's all been discussed before, e.g. here. So the issue of oil-varnish compatibility was clearly on their minds during the period of ATF WS development.

So we know it's in contact in Gen 1, and we know it's in contact in Gen 3 (another Toyota document shows that). There are some people who seem convinced it was not in contact in Gen 2. I'm not sure I have slam-dunk documentation on hand to unconvince them, though it would seem odd to change from in-contact in Gen 1 to no-contact for Gen 2 and back to in-contact for Gen 3, and also the Weber Auto videos for Gen 2 show the same oil drainage ports below the MG windings that can be seen in Gen 3.

9. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Abarnabe likes this.
  10. Abarnabe

Abarnabe Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Found a document about thermal management of Gen 2 Motor Generators and indeed the oil is used to cool them off on page 4.
    in Gen 3 oil is splashed by gears on to the windings.
    In Gen 4 it is pumped directly on to the windings, this would explain why gen 4 can tow up to 750 kg, while gen 3 officially can't tow anything.

Attached Files:

#470 Abarnabe, Jun 16, 2024 at 9:06 AM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024 at 9:20 AM
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks! From DoE rather than directly from Toyota, but seems like enough to settle the question re: gen 2.

douglasjre likes this.
  12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I tow a 4k lbs boat and at wot do 65 mph on level ground without triggering thermal safety for mg1/2 coil temps. Have 275k miles on two pri I own and treat them both this way. No bad CVT assy's this far. Using maxlife LV. Small sample size I know. This might suggest this fluid is acceptable but far from scientific evidence. If u need a substitute, this works for me