1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of problems reported on Prius 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Contrary to an earlier post I cannot let the vibration/buzzing irritations off the hook so easily. The dealer gets its first chance next Tuesday. The center console upper hinged tray has a static vibrations that interested me and since I don't use it I removed it. Next drive will consider its absence and the vibration(s) further.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly enough, I measured my speedometer (and thus my odometer) with a GPS today. Most Japanese vehicles have a +5-9% bias in my experience, but MY prius ('10 base model) had almost NO error. The most I could resolve was +0.5%---and some of that might have been in the GPS, since mostly I saw ZERO error (I also ran a measured mile.)
    I was expecting a 5+percent error, because at the time I was trying to debunk my boss's claim that he can get 60+ MPG in his Prius, while I usually get 45-48---driving in Eco mode.
    Bottom line...The speedo is right, at least on mine.
    I later found out that my boss was also right about the MPG, but that's a different story...:D

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's dead on in my Gen 2 but a bit off in my Gen 3... (we're talking 1-2km/h at 70km/h)

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If my math is right, 1-2km/h is inside my observed +0.5%, and this is probably inside the resolution of the GPS receiver, and certainly well within the delta that you'll see with normal tire wear.
    I'd say the VSS on MY G3 is probably pretty close to being dead bang on. I plan to run a hundred mile measured course to verify, but for my purposes (validating or disproving EPA MPG claims) I'll have to admit that the vehicle's instrumentation is close enough.

My observed MPG on the interstate, at 70, in Eco, A/C off, and with the CC on is 47.something. If I were a hypermilier, I can see goosing that to 48.something, but I can't get the "dizzy-wizz" to say 50 at all. Maybe when I'm over 2500 miles...we'll see.

Anyway, for the purposes of this thread (problems with the Prius's VSS---or Vehicle Speed Sensor), I'd have to say that the VSS error myth is "busted". If "Goofy" says he's going 70....he's going 70, and thus if he says he's getting 48.something MPG, I have to presume that that's somewhat accurate as well.

As they used to say in the NRL.... "When all else fails, manipulate the data." :cool:

5. RamRam

RamRam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dash rattle/creak: My 2010 version 4 w/ 7600 miles spent the day with the dealer yesterday, but the noises are still there. It's 18 degrees now and using the heater reduces the creaking. I'd like to see a tsb on this.

6. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Today, after the passage of numerous months, I displayed profound disappointment to Toyota that they seem unwilling to correct numerous complaints about the 2010 Prius including these various interior rattle/vibration issues. My car's vibrations/rattles still exist. It is possible that the dealer did find and fix one of them but it is an ever changing venue depending apparently on temperature and the road type.

7. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So basically, what your saying, is you won't be happy, unless there are 0 Rattles, Vibrations, etc?? Easy fix. Sit in the car in your driveway, with the engine off. What you are expecting, is impossible. There will be noises in a half Million Dollar Ferrari, just like your Prius. What do you expect? The problem with roads, is, they are all different, so is the climate. Unless it's a bad rattle or vibration, it's something we all have to live with, unfortunately.

8. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I should have added that I have no expectations that Toyota will do anything at this point to improve the numerous problems, including rattle/vibrations reported in the 2010 Prius Problems Summary. The point you need to get is that I've been driving cars of various sort for 50 years and they have all had various rattles and vibrations that could either be fixed or ignored once identified. The Prius' sort seem to be on the right side and the most annoying that I cannot recall on any other car is a buzzing sound. They change and Toyota doesn't care about whether they get resolved or not. They are not associated with road noise or bumps in the road and they don't exist at all when the car is stopped. LOL... I'm just disappointed that all the items listed a year ago are still open complaints today...including rattles and vibrations.

I haven't done it and I don't think I will because I don't want to focus any more on something I'm not going to change any time soon but it would be interesting to know if the 2011 or 2012 years have fewer problems/have improvements.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that cars used to be screwed together. Now it's just clips and with more plastic pieces, you're going to have rattles. It's part of the cost cutting and weight savings that manufacturers are doing.

10 years ago, we got an ES300 with cloth seats. Now, it's a larger vehicle that's more powerful (90hp diff if you account for the SAE2008 difference in hp rating), more fuel efficient, and better equipped than the old ES.

Or

10 years ago, a Prius was Cdn$29,990. Now it's $27,800 and I don't think I need to mention al the changes between the compact 2001 model and the midsize 2011 model.

10. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Susan, if your able to work under the hood, I solved that "buzzing" noise about 7 months ago on mine. If you search here, you might find my original post and solution. It's not pretty, but it involves jamming rags into 2 "rabbit holes" inside the large hollow pillar (right side) from inside the engine compartment. Those rabbit holes are hard to spot, but they transmit engine vibrations up that pillar and you get the "buzzing" about 3/4 the way up the HSI on accelerations. I jammed using a long screwdriver several rags up those holes until no more would fit. Noise (buzz) is gone forever.

djasonw likes this.
  11. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a few observations:
    1. Flying bridge center console needs some design tweaks. Heated seat controls should not be mounted in lower tray under flying bridge. Should be mounted on top of console near shifter and also should be variable control type like that on other Toyota and Lexus models. The unique LED shining down on the center console should be duplicated under the flying bridge to illuminate the lower tray.
    2. Improve the under engine splash shields and oil pan access panel and fasteners. Appears to be a somewhat frequent failure.
    3. Add sound deadening material to all four doors and perhaps on floor pans also.
    4. Relocate the reverse gear "beep" device to outside the car or do away with it completely. In keeping with other devices Toyota has developed to respond to complaints that the car is "Too Quiet!" perhaps the best place for the reverse beeper is on the exterior of the Prius.
    Other than that, my wife and I really enjoy our Prius and is the second one we have owned.

13. Bazookatier

Bazookatier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Problem: Navigation unit buttons fail to work correctly (DEST, MAP, SETUP, DISPLAY)
    Description:
    Prius with Navi- Random Channel Changing | PriusChat
    Solution: Pending

A company called HI-TECH Electronic Services repairs nav units affected by this issue, however the cost likely isn't worth the trouble. Here's their website: Toyota navigation stereo cd dvd changer repair

Why is this important? Owners are unable to reach a substantial portion of the menu screens, preventing several great features such as Bluetooth synchronization with other devices.

Other links pertaining to this issue...
    Need help. 2010 Prius III Navigation unit problem | PriusChat
    "MAP" button on navigation system changes radio station | PriusChat
    Hot car = loss of radio control | PriusChat

#273 Bazookatier, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015