1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of problems reported on Prius 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Aug 15, 2009.

1. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Agreed...as soon as I can swap it out for a third-party unit with the same functionality (done right) mine's headed to eBay (including the USB kit).

2. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jon S and HTMLSpinnr,
    Thanks for providing that info.

Do you have a thread describing the problem (and temporary solution) that I can refer to? If you can provide it, I'll add the problem to the list.

3. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RadioMan,
    Thanks for the info.

If you can find (or start) a thread that describes the problem, and that shows that other people have experienced the problem too, etc. (see the rules in post #2), post the information on this thread then I will add it to the list.

4. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    barbaram,

thanks for the info.

Can you find (or start) a thread that describes the problem(s) that you are refering to, and that shows that other people have experienced the problem too, etc. (see the rules in post #2)? If so post the reference on this thread then I will add it to the list.

5. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Why is this posted as a problem? Isn't it the hill start assist feature?

6. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Very nice thread, however I am astounded this is not included in the first post.

7. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PriusRos,

before adding it to the list of problems, I read through the referenced thread. There seems to be some sort of confusion, but when reading through carefully, it seems at least 2 people noticed a problem which is not the hill start assist feature. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong. Please do not hesitate to reply to this post if you think I am wrong - as I wrote in post #2, all comments are welcome.

8. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    darkleafar,

I read through the thread that you referenced, it seems the thing is well understood, and not unique to the Gen III. Whether it is a problem, or just a "work as designed", I am not sure. It seems to be a topic for debate, as proposed qbee42.

Do you have another reference that shows more evidence of it being a problem?

Sometimes I feel we should start another, parallel thread, similar to this one, entitled "Prius 2010 reported annoyances". Perhaps the refered braking problem could be part of that thread instead.

Opinion?

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  10. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To be quite honest with you, I am merely stating my facts based on what I have read. I never owned a Prius, and do no plan to buy one until April 2010. That being said, I think it is better for those who have posted in the thread I provided (in my previous post's link) and in the braking problem thread tumbleweed provided to come forth and speak up on whether they think this should be added or not. You see, in this thread people are saying it is merely an illusion-type-of-feeling and not a safety issue, whereas in the other two threads tumbleweed and I provided people are saying the opposite.
    Personally, based on what I have read, i think if it is bad enough to give people a good scare (many people have said this) then it should be addressed somehow. my two cents.

UPDATE: The following link will guide you to a list of links posted by jay man2 which talk about this topic. Click here

2 people like this.
  11. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Use a portable GPS to confirm your results. It should give you a very accurate comparison.

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I connected my scan gauge to the car this weekend, the speed indicated on the scan gauge is 2 mph slower than that indicated on the speedometer. My GPS agrees with the scan gauge. The computer in the car knows exactly how fast the car is going, Toyota chooses to have the indication on the speedometer a bit fast for reasons previously stated in this thread.

Four out of the last four cars I have owned (2 Toyotas, 1 Chevy, and 1 BMW) have had speedometers that would read 2 or more MPH fast at 60 or 70 MPH. This is the accepted practice in the industry and totally normal, not a problem.

13. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The higher the speed the bigger the variance.
    In my Prius it is roughly 3 miles over 70 and 2 miles below 70 (+ or -)...
    but that is about standard with every previous car I have owned.
    The only difference is that in the Prius and due to all the data we have and the need for the ultimate mpg it is a bit more noticeable...:cool:

14. Chris00

Chris00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone put the back driver side window down half way? It produces an ungodly oscillating of air that just about pops ones eardrums. Has anyone found away to correct this issue?

15. SanAntonio Joe

SanAntonio Joe New Member

Model:
    IV
    Uh.....roll up the window?

Man, I just couldn't help it......

16. Mt View

Mt View Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Gen II was that way also. I rarely rolled any window down, especially the rear and especially when going hiway speeds. I seem to remember that it helps to roll down the front windows also.

17. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chris00,
    Thanks for the info.

If you can find (or start) a thread that describes the problem, and that shows that other people have experienced the problem too, etc. (see the rules in post #2), post the information on this thread then I will add it to the list.

18. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Every car that I have owned has done this. Open up the other windows part or all the way to let air coming in to get out and stop the compression effect.

This is absolutely not a defect.

19. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't know of any thread, but if you drive at night, the auto-dimming feature works erratically... sometimes the mirror dims but in most cases it does not...

20. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: UN Regulations?

Sure it is. Once we agree to it with the other nations as we have done many other times. Before we agree, true its non binding. After we agree its binding. Now how its enforced is a whole different story......

1 person likes this.