1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of proposed improvements for future versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto mode is useless. my old car (vectra, or saturn aura) had an auto mode, and it stayed on that for three and a half years. the prius seems random with the fan speed (vectra had a user adjustable low, medium or high, so it knew what you -wanted-, but would still use high speed if absolutely neccesary when you start up etc) and ALWAYS blows only at my face. i want it on my face and my feet and under the seats and in the back and on the screen, but if i change it, oh look, auto mode switches off. it's crap.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That must mean the new Prius seating ergos are the best they can be.

Thanks to you and Airbalancer for your expertise!

After all, Toyotas are known to have the best interior designs. I drove my friend's loaded Venza with sunroof the other day, power seat lowered way down. I had an inch of headroom to spare! I am so tempted to get one of those.

We all know the driver's seat in the 2nd Generation Prius was very good, and Toyota fixed every minor ergonomic flaw in this 3rd Generation Prius!

3. mickeydawson

mickeydawson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I just have a front parking sensor please so I know where the front of the car is :) better than rolling into the wall slowly to find out... I can't figure out why sensors are just on the back???
    Oh one more thing can my lights come on when its raining as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hoffy

Hoffy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just FYI, if you change the air flow to mixed, the rest of the climate control stays in auto, even thou the light is off. Temperature is still controlled to set and the fan speed changes as required. Basically it works like this, on full auto, (light on) everything works automatically to keep set temp. If you change one item, the rest of the system trys to compensate with the other areas. At least that's how mine works.

Cheers.

Hoffy

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but in the old Prius, if the A/C light was off and you pressed AUTO, it would come back on. Now it's a two-step process - press AUTO and then press A/C. If I'm in manual mode, I usually will have the A/C off too (e.g. "vent"). I'm still getting used to pressing the A/C button on the new Prius as well as the AUTO.

What Hoffy said. If you take one aspect out of AUTO mode (e.g. the fan speed), the other stays in AUTO. (e.g. if you raise the temperature high enough, the mode will still automatically change to FEET.)

6. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm--my 2010 Prius doesn't seem to work that way. Sometimes I leave the car with the A/C off Then the outside temperature goes up to 95, and when I turn the car on again, and push AUTO, the fan comes on, usually pretty high, but the AC won't come on unless I push AC.
    BTW, if I haven't said it already, the entire Climate Control control set should be redesigned to make it simpler and more intuitive--this is the only car I've ever seen where fan speed is controlled by the top right buttons, but to turn the fan off, you have to move your hand several inches to the left and one level down--and the rest of the buttons are just as weird.

7. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A button on the steering wheel that, when depressed, lets the driver make sure the level indicated on the HSI never crosses the middle bar, even if he floors the accelerator. Keeping the button depressed would limit the amount of acceleration requested by the accelerator. That would make eco accelerations easier to manage (saving him to keep checking the HSI) and therefore safer.

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt that will ever happen due to safety concerns. You need to be able to floor it and get full acceleration, that's why eco flooring is the same as power flooring.

But while we are dreaming, I would love a button that takes away the transmission drag "feature" momentarily while depressed, or even better a complete cancel mode switch to permanently disable it. There is no need for it other than to make people who are used to other cars feel better.

1 person likes this.
  9. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe it could be fine as long as the button would need to be maintained depressed, as suggested, for the acceleration to be limited. Alternatively, pressing this button could simply change the shape of the accelerator mapping function, in a similar way that is obtainted using the ECO button. The new mapping would require less precision when trying to make sure the center line is not crossed, while maintaining full acceleration availble when pressing the accelerator more.

The Toyota engineers already did something along those lines, as the HSI level "sticks" to the center line for a while before crossing it. The proposed button could simply increase that "stickiness".

10. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd prefer a "click" in the pedal when you're going to exceed 50% on the HSI.

11. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A button that, when pushed, would force the Hybrid System to recharge the battery to 8 bars. Would be useful prior to leaving the highway, to ensure maximum EV range on low speed road.

I assume the system maintains charge to 6 bars because it does not know whether the driver will need assist or recharge - so it is planning for both. The button would be a way for the driver to tell the system what is going to be needed next.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It maintains it at 6 bars because that's where the battery is happy (60%).. or rather where Toyota determined that the battery will be balanced with performance and life. And yes, it also helps by leaving some space for regen down a hill.

For me, I'd rather not have a force charge but keep on improving regenerative braking because that means I can use the highway off-ramp to recharge. With the Gen 2, I'm practically guaranteed 7 bars and occasionally 8. I'd like to see it regen to 8 bars more often.

1 person likes this.
  13. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A live version of this graph on display:
    [​IMG]
    showing instantaneous ICE position on the graph as a point, as well as 2 arrows on the sides of that point showing the effect of pressing or releasing the accelerator.

Might help the driver in keeping the ICE in the high efficiency zone.

14. blet

blet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A much quieter fan. When my fan is on the highest speed, I have to increase the radio volume by about 25% to even hear it.

1 person likes this.
  15. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From my wife, who likes to sit straight up when driving:
    To the driver's seat-back positions, add one more click of forward/upright rotation.

She also thinks the accelerator pedal should be a bit larger for folks with small feet.

And she hates the split rear window, and wonders if you could have the car be as aerodynamic with the "wing" either above or below the whole window. (But you've heard that one from me before.)

1 person likes this.
  16. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :) Many people hate the back "wing". It does indeed block the view. Having said that, the rear view is limited, but it is not -that- bad. Even my wife, who complained at first that the view was more limited than in the civic, admits now that it is ok.

A few times I tried to imagine a design of the back of the Prius without the tail. Not sure if that would mean a curved window, though. Anyway every time I did, for some reason I started thinking of the AMC pacer, and it made me smile. :) I think I prefer the tailed version.

Thanks for your suggestions - I will add them to the list. Note that the list is a bit outdated - been very busy at the office lately. Will update over the weekend.

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Add a forward gear selector range

Add a forward gear selector range where 0 throttle was glide instead of engine braking.

Also make the throttle get stiffer when you hit the upper limits of ECO on the drivers display so you could keep the engine in it's most efficient range by feel.

1 person likes this.
  18. pulse

pulse New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Add a forward gear selector range

+1 = does anyone know why this isn't the default for ECO mode? It's very difficult to get to glide if you go by the arrows in the power flow diagram, and I can't believe this would be an oversight in the tuning. There must have been some other consideration at work here (I hope it wasn't driveability or some silly thing).

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

because it was designed to mimic a traditional automatic transmission that Americans are used to. It's the same reason why the smart fortwo has a PRND layout when its transmission is actually a sequential manual and the computer automatically engages the clutch and accelerates to mimic the "creep" of an automatic transmission.

20. pulse

pulse New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks Tideland - I hope that's the only reason, because then it seems more likely that a simple tuning change could eliminate this for my car(even if it was a dealer installed ECU upgrade, after forcing me to sign a waiver). I only add that last bit because I assumed that coastdown had to do with TMC's liability in "foreseeable conditions".

Assuming that glide improves fuel economy, I find it annoying that "mimic a traditional automatic transmission" took priority over maximum FUEL ECONOMY in this one instance (especially in ECO mode). I can point to any number of ways that a prius doesn't mimic a traditional anything - start/stop, engine note, offering three different throttle maps, transmission selector, etc...