1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of proposed improvements for future versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Add a forward gear selector range

Gotta remember that 10 years ago, the selling point was that it drove like a "normal" car... and it had to. Also a fun fact... the glide is also a by-product of the Gen 2's HSD system. The HiHy/RXh that followed in 2005 and the TCH in 2007 couldn't glide as far as the Gen 2 Prius. (They also had the uprated 650V system).

1 person likes this.
  2. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make the battery level indicator react more linearly with battery range. As it is now, bar 6 takes much longer to get depleted than bars 5 or 4 for instance.

3. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the energy monitor, have the thickness of the arrow between the battery and motor vary according to the number of watts flowing to/from the battery

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good call. Ford's Energy Monitor does this...

Ok so it's not just me. I have noticed that it drops fairly quickly at drive-thrus than the Gen 2. I thought it was just me not pressing the brake hard enough or something.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is not supposed to be linear. It has "sweet" spots so that it doesnt jump around a million times a second. 6bars and 2 bars is where it is really happy, and really sad. They show them more.

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have the HVAC Syetem readable when the sun is shining on it with the sunshade open:mad:

1 person likes this.
  7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make the steering wheel in perfect centered lateral alignment with the driver's seat.

I find the steering wheel to be maybe inch to the left of center of driver's seat using the 'praying test' found in the ergos testing section at -

www.heightsite.com

scroll down to 'taller drivers' > 5 ways to test car ergonomics. Seems a good test for all drivers to do.

1 person likes this.
  8. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 6-1 I like seat position, and where the steer wheel is
    But the wheel should be softer for my tended fingers :D

1 person likes this.
  9. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Change the mapping of the brake pedal when driving at low speeds.

That is not easy to explain - I will try.

When driving at high speed, pressing the brake pedal first activates regen. Then, if you press more, eventually the mechanical brakes will engage. The more you press on the brake pedal, the more braking force is obtained. That is nicely done, as the transition is, in my opinion, subtle.

However, when driving at low speed, the behaviour of the brake pedal is different. At low speed, there is barely any regen done, so pressing the brake pedal first does not do much. But then, as you press more, the mechanical brakes activate. The transition in this case is strong, as you go from "nearly no brake force" to "a lot more braking force". To me that feels strange, as the behaviour of the brake pedal will change depending on the speed. At high speed, the resulting brake force is relatively linear with respect to how much you press on the pedal. But at low speed, it is not: you press the pedal for a while during which not much happens. Then as the pedal reaches a certain distance along its course, a lot more braking force is obtained.

That becomes worse when I drive on the highway, then take an exit: I press on the brake just a bit to slow the car down using regen, in anticipation of a stop sign. Then, when I reach a much lower speed, I start braking more if required. Sometimes, regen lowers my speed down to a point where regen does not slow the car down much any more. Then I press more on the brake. But since speed is low, I have to press a bit more than usual to reach the mechanical brake threshold. That feels like a "gap" in braking. I end up braking a lot at the last minute because of that gap. My wife always asks me why I am doing that. And all I did was to progressively press on the brake...

My suggestion would be to change the mapping of the brake pedal, that should behave differently depending on the speed of the vehicle. At low speed, mechanical brakes should engage sooner, to provide a constant braking experience, whether going fast or slow.

Perhaps I do not understand the brake system well enough. Or perhaps my brakes do not operate correctly. Or perhaps it is better the way it is, to maximize use of regen.

I am not sure. Any comments?

10. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say the fix is to allow double or triple the regen power, then you can have a consistent amount of braking force to pedal application at any speed.

1 person likes this.
  11. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1. Allow pkg IV to have ATP as an option (so the choice would be either solar roof or ATP since one cannot have both).

2. Make *NAV* a separate option...uncouple it from the solar roof option and the ATP option. Some people want NAV only. Others don't want NAV, but do want the other goodies. (I would be in this group).

1 person likes this.
  12. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

In the energy monitor, have the thickness of the arrows between:
    1- the ICE and the wheels, and
    2- the electric motor and the wheels
    to vary in thickness, to show the proportion of traction power that comes from both, at any time.

So the driver could tell, at any time, what % of traction power comes from the electric motor, and what % comes from the ICE.

13. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the energy monitor, add an extra arrow that goes from the battery to accessories, that would show the amount of power (in watts) being used by the various accessories (AC, headlights, wipers, fan, etc.)

14. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Upgrade the paint at least on the front bumper and hood area to better sustain through the bug and rock impacts

1 person likes this.
  15. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I think that know what you are talking about because abrupt transition from regen was very evident in a hybrid Camry I rented for a 2 week trip a couple of years ago.

In my Gen 3 Prius however the braking is completely smooth without gaps or peaks except at the transition from barely moving at all to a complete stop where it is somewhat abrupt unless I feather the pedal.

1 person likes this.
  16. paulh

paulh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This has probably already been posted but here goes. I'd like some of the options lit at night when the lights are turned on. This includes some of the options on the steering wheel such as the bluetooth plus the garage door options on the rear view mirror. Love the car but have to grope for the door opener when returning home at night. Simple LED's would be fine.

1 person likes this.
  17. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius is missing a lot of "user" technological advancements.

It's missing a car computer. The Nissan Leaf comes with one.
    It's missing a wireless connection. The Nissan Leaf comes with 4g network and fallsback to 3g/RX.
    It's missing a center console (optional). The Nissan Leaf comes standard with a center console.

The center console in the leaf also displays apps so you can stream music, surf the web, get the news, get traffic conditions/road closures, gps, communications. It's basically a computer. The key thing is ALL OF THESE APPS can be UPGRADED. Don't like slacker? Use a different app. Don't like Toyota GPS? Install StreetDeck. The computer just runs windows.

On the next Prius, they should have a center console touch screen LCD/OLED monitor and a compartment in the trunk for a car computer (carputer). The computer should be upgradable (you should be able to install your own). The carputer should have a serial port so it can get all the information from the car.

The wireless antenna should be installed outside and replace the satellite antenna. After all, who the hell needs satellite when you can stream pandora and slacker?

After installing the carputer, you install the Prius software which reads the car information etc. You can install your own apps. Everything is displayed on the center console. The fact is, having a carputer connected to the cars "systems" (such as engine, ventilation, fluids, tire monitoring system) opens up A LOT OF POSSIBILITIES.
    You can have an app that adjusts ventilation based on climate data according to GPS coordinates.
    You can have an app that adjusts tire pressures according to climate data based on GPS coordinates.

You can plug in a TV tuner to your carputer and watch/record TV.

On my current prius, I installed a UMPC (mobile computer) on the cupholder and use a USB dongle for 3g. Unfortunetly, because the usb dongle is inside...I keep getting connection loses when tall buildings are around. If there was a antenna mounted to the roof that took the place of the useless satellite radio antenna, it would fix this.

I can listen to slacker while driving. To change a song, I just say "skip song" and the UMPC recognizes it and changes the song. You can't do that with satellite radio. You can't do that with "sync" (sync is limited). The UMPC automatically goes to sleep when the car is shut off. I actually tell Windows to put the computer to sleep when there is no AC power. There is no AC power when the car is off. I also tell windows to turn it back on when AC power is detected. If I'm stuck in traffic, I can just skype my boss and tell him I'm going to be late.

1 person likes this.
  18. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So basically, you want a car that is so distracting that you get in an accident every day or two?

19. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive with a UMPC and I change the song using voice commands. I only look down on the screen when I'm at a complete stop and can guarantee that the traffic light does not turn green for at least half a minute.

The Prius could lock down the screen when in motion and only respond to voice command etc.

If you think this is distracting, better remove the radio, ac, cruise control etc. A another driver almost hit me head on because he was adjusting his radio/ac.

1 person likes this.
  20. andybarker

andybarker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More intelligence when entering a UK postcode into the SatNav.

A typical UK postcode would be WD25 4PT. The on screen keyboard only shows letters or numbers / symbols. So you have to flick between the two keyboards twice for any postcode you enter (from letters to numbers, then numbers back to letters).

1 person likes this.