1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of proposed improvements for future versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Must be the picture. That is a pretty good alloy wheel design and cleverly disguised!

I do not know, the new Civic's dashboard looks modular... as if Honda just "snaps on" pieces. I prefer our "one-piece" dash that looks like it's been moulded from one large piece of plastic.

2. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I want the new Prius' voice control system to activate climate controls and audio like in the second generation.

Like when you push the button and the lady comes on and says "After the beep, please say a command." Then you could say "Temperature, XXX degrees." Then she'd say "Setting temperature to XXX degrees."

1 person likes this.
  3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, it needs a more powerful battery.

The electric motor has 80hp, but it only reaches that horsepower at full throttle because the engine is supplying increased drive power, along with the batteries.

When in EV mode, the batteries are capable of only giving the electric motor enough juice for 36hp, but if it had a lighter, more powerful battery pack, instead of 36hp provided from the Ni-MH batteries, the power could be 45-50hp, thus better EV operation, greater range, and faster EV top speed. You know what I mean?

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Provide attractive bare alloy wheels that look very good in all Prius IV (or equivalent) trims.

2nd choice - attractive bare alloy as option in III and IV with nav or above.

Below are decent looking 'hybrid' alloys IMO -

gal_lg18.jpg gal_lg88.jpg

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Redesign the base model wheels so preferably there is no wheelcover, or at least the wheelcovers stay attached.

My Prius rental from Toyota came missing a wheelcover yesterday and I see Prius 3rd gen missing wheelcovers every day. See below.

050705 201.jpg

This looks bad and might be hurting Prius' image.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's one that has not been mentioned before ...

Make the driver's seat so that it can adjust down lower just a little more. Not for more headroom, but for better overall view out the front and side windows.

7. Don3755

Don3755 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was really surprised when we saw in the 2011 book that this was only a Canadian feature, not even an option in the US. I was planning to check with my dealer to see if I could order some type of module or whatever is different to convert my US headlights to DRL.

8. Don3755

Don3755 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This may come as a shock to you but there are those of us that prefer Android OS and therefore do not own an iPod or "i" anything for that matter. I would like a Droid dock on my steering column, but realize that I bought a car not a phone accessory. With the cable setup you can purchase the appropriate cable for your device to fit your Prius, and not the other way around.

1 person likes this.
  9. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Add a slot for SD cards, as an alternative to MP3/WMA CDs for listening music. SD cards would contain much more music.

10. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Add a dial (circular) button around the left and right controls on the steering, that one could rotate with his thumbs. The one on the left would control volume, the one on the right would control fan speed.

Dials could make it easier to control volume with precision (than "press and wait" until you reach the right volume).

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You get the same thing w/ a USB thumb drive, but may not be subject to the slower flash controller of the FOB. MicroSD might be more interesting, but potentially harder to use.

Adjusting the mirrors wider w/ minimal overlap between mirrors. largely eliminates this problem when you don't have obstructions in your trunk.

12. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Side mirrors with memory settings, to accomodate various drivers or to automatically change to parking orientation setting (e.g. looking down) when going in reverse.

13. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like Toyota to include a litre or gallon countdown/readout when the low fuel light comes on. On my smart, when the blinking pip comes on, the odometer changes to a # of litres remaining in the tank. It's a feature I truly appreciate instead of guessing how much is left (though it's pretty close to 10 litres consistently)

16. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would also help with cars which have multiple drivers: "When did that light come on?" "I do not know." "sigh."

1 person likes this.
  17. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the hybrid system indicator, add another area just under the "regen" zone, that would display the proportion (0-100%) of the instantaneous braking force that comes from regen (if that info is available, of course).

18. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the hybrid system indicator, make the center vertical line (the one that divides the 2 large zones) to move, based on how much power we can get before the engine starts. I agree that corresponds to the center position most of the time, but that may change depending on battery state of charge. For instance if SOC=8 bars, we can puch the accelerator up to pwr zone before engine starts.

19. CivicQc

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Integrate a system that takes advantage of the high temperature of the engine to increase fuel economy. For instance:

• Wrap the hot parts (engine, radiator, muffler, etc.) with thermoelectric materials, that will generate electricity based on the temperature difference with ambient air. That electricity would be used to recharge the battery.
    • Use the high temperature of the engine to heat up water and turn it to steam, that will spin a small turbine, which will generate electricity to recharge the battery.

20. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I resolved this problem...when the time comes.....just kick it into N...your super gliding. !!!!!!! When at the bottom of the downgrade just drop it back into D.

Problem solved !!!!!!!!! FREE