1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of proposed improvements for future versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I turned into a parking space 3 times to see about this. In my Accord, I could not get the wheels straight by the time I was in the space. Not enough room forward to straighten out. Don't recall at DMV wheels are 'supposed to be straight' when in a parking space. I wouldn't turn the wheels without moving either.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like you may be clipping the corners in parking.

Drive perpendicular to the parking space until your side view mirror "looks like" it lines up with the center of the space. Then turn hard into the spot, then straighten out as you actually pull in.It becomes natural and just as fast as "bad" parking once you figure it out.

What you describe sounds like the turning directly into the space which is wrong from every driver training school. It is also the same driving style that clips the left-turn lane traffic going in the opposite direction when you are turning left.You go out, then turn, then in. Not go in at an angle and cut close to the car in the direction you are turning. It is not hard, and it is safer.

I couldn't find a youtube video or anything but here is a random google site with pics: Perpendicular Parking

3. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Something that has not been mentioned here as yet is the controls for the Sunroof. They are pathetic. Here is the current behavior:
    When pushing and holding the open switch, the roof will stop at the tilt position. You need to push and hold the button again where it will open 3/4 of the way open where it again stops. You will now need to push the open button a third time to open it all of the way.

I also have a 2008 Honda Civic that gets it just right, as follows:
    The open/close switch has three positions and 4 functions, slide the switch back to open all the way automatically, slide the switch forward to close completely automatically and push the button to tilt. The switch will also allow you to stop the position of the sunroof at any point manually.... Well done!

4. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do like the sunroof controls in my Civic EX. It only has 3 buttons though. An up/down rocker with a pushbutton in the middle. If you go up it closes. If you go down it opens outwards. If you press the middle, it tilts up only if closed to begin with. It only moves when you press the button. Works well.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the moonroof is an auto-open. After you tilt it, you can just press and hold for a split second then let go. It will open to the first open position. The 2nd position (abt an inch more) is the fully open position. The first stop is to minimise wind noise and that "whomp whomp" frequency/noise that you'll hear if the moonroof is fully opened (and all windows are closed). If one of the windows is opened, then you can use the 2nd position without worrying about the noise.

6. SCote

SCote Fuel economy scientist :-)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The area under the surface of the boot (trunk) is very useful for storing shopping bags, first aid kit, flashlight, unbrellas, washing liquid - e.g. things that we need but dont use that often.

If the plug-in version uses that space for the battery, it would be useful to provide a similar space somewhere, as a replacement. My suggestion: 2 small nets could be delivered with the car, that would allow owners to store stuff safely on the sides of the boot (the 2 small areas behind the wheels). I often put stuff in there, but it always falls off because there is nothing to stop it from doing so, unless the boot is fully packed. 2 small nets would allow us to store things in those areas even if the boot is not full.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't you have a vertical cargo net (it's standard with the Prius in Canada)

8. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Functions that are disabled while the car is in motion should be re-enabled (automatically or manually) if there is a passenger in the front seat (weight must be at least 80 lbs, for instance)

9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I really like the idea of having a GPS that is integrated with the fuel usage subsystem. Sort of like combining a Garmin and a Scangauge.

Also, would be nice if the built-in GPS has an altimeter as well. Besides giving the driver information about altitude, it can possibly be used by the CPU to adjust power requirements etc when going up or down long hills.

1 person likes this.
  10. SCote

SCote Fuel economy scientist :-)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True. I meant something different actually. I meant a little space to store the grocery bags when they are folded, not in use, or the umbrella, the emergency kit, etc. Those small things fitted well in the area under the trunk cover, because they are small. I thought 2 small net walls, on the sides, behind the wheels, would replace that space well, and would not prevent us from using the rest of the trunk.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh I get it now.

Well the plug-in's under floor compartment is narrow but deeo so you would be able to fit an umbrella there as well as bags for an emergency. A first-aid kit may be a tight squeeze.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad I didn't buy the 3rd Gen / 2010 Prius, but if they opened up the space in front of center console (IOW, remove floating bridge) and made steering wheel pull 1" closer to driver, it would help.

In my Accord manual, says Natl. Hwy Traffic Safety Admin recommends at least 10" between center of steering wheel (the airbag) and driver's chest.
    In my best adjustment in 2010 Prius, it's almost 17" between wheel and me, so the wheel should be able to scope one inch closer to me.

The crosscheck here is the Prius v brake to lower front face of steering wheel distance, tilted down and full out is 26.25"

In 2011 Prius, it's only 25.25" . I know the real measurement is more complicated, still it's too close to the dash. I hate not being able to reach the steering wheel very well. Makes me feel less sure, less in control driving the car.

But, I like the 55 MPG. So, fix it up in 4th Gen Prius! :mad:

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    People such as myself do not like the steering wheel right in your chest. Driving "styles" have changed from grandma style of grasping the wheel tightly, back straight up and down and peering straight out, to a more relaxed style. You "lounge" in the chair with it somewhat reclined, and with your elbow resting on the door sill or centre console you turn the wheel. That's just how it is and it makes the steering wheel placement fine. Also it makes it feel much more open when it is not right in your face.

In my D I flip the blinker stalk with my knee because it is right there in my face. I also sit as far away as possible and still reach the pedals because that steering wheel will turn into a heart-spear in an accident!

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    17" away from my chest is not nearly in my face. You use that term twice, but what is 'in your face' in inches?

If you are shorter, you have plenty of ability to telescope the steering wheel towards the dash.... which the 3rd Gen Prius does quite well. In fact, the wheel scopes an inch closer to the dash than the 2nd Gen Prius non-scoping wheel.

Did you or anyone else think the 2nd Gen Prius wheel needed to scope an inch closer to the dash? Who asked for that? But that's what we got. And we got a paltry 1/2 inch (0.5") wheel scope closer to the driver. How stupid is that considering the seat slides and lowers 2.5" farther back than 2nd Gen Prius?

If tall guy slides seat back 2.5" further (than 2nd Gen max), all the way back, is 0.5" closer steering wheel going to work?

Hint: NO

I recline a bit, kick back a bit in the seat. Reach wheel down low. Soon as I lift right leg up to brake ... crowded under steering wheel. Feels sort of like a 'little car'. Yeah, yeah, my legs are hella long, but tall people want to save on gas too.

A Corolla can scope to 26" from brake pedal to wheel (my measurement). The new v scopes to 26.25" but 3rd Gen is an inch short. The foot pedal(s) seem like a darn good datum point for ergo measurements in car.

Plus, the space between the right side of steering wheel and that obtrusive floating bridge console is small. Was much better in the 2nd gen.

I don't like the 2011 enough. But, it's a darn shame because not only is it the most practical and fuel efficient vehicle on the planet today, the Plug-in will be based on this chassis for its x years, probably 6.

I just logged 56 MPGs on a rental 2011 Pri. My car nets 28 MPG most of the time. Regular Prius is still penatly box to me. I'm just saying it could be better with a few changes. They would save on materials (no floating bridge console).

Thank goodness for the new Prius v.

---------
    btw, are you the one who proclaimed your wheels and steering wheel should always be straight if you correctly turn 90 degrees in a parking lot into a space, first try? Show me a video of you doing that in a Honda Accord. Good luck.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hope these aren't repeats. They weren't in the top post.
    - Have all interior lights (trunk, map, dome, etc.) set to automatically shut off after 30 minutes. Nissans do this to save the battery, even for the map lights. Be sure to also include cases of doors or trunk being left open.
    - Play a beep or chime if the car has traveled 1 mile w/a signal left on. Old Chryslers had this (unsure of the distance threshold at which the chime sounds).
    - Retain power to stereo for at least 15 minutes after power off but cut power once a door is opened. I've had some GM rentals that retained power to the stereo after power off and not in ACC mode. Was a nice feature.
    - Resettable count-up timer. Nissans have this (my 02 Maxima, 04 350Z and my mom's 07 NAH all do). Was very handy when wanting to time how many minutes it to took to get somewhere.
    - Separate light or warning for a loose gas cap. Apparently, some Fords have that.
    - (Unsure if 3rd gen has this) Textual and audible warning that parking brake is engaged if attempting to drive w/parking brake engaged. 09 Ford Focus rental had this (PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED in dot matrix display + chime). I believe my 93 Dodge Caravan emitted a chime.

16. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    ^^
    nice list. Add to that:

- sensors and beepers in front to help with parking, as you get closer to object beep frequency increases.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe what you want is called "Elapsed Time" or E/T. Our 2002 Camry had that and it was a nice feature so that you can compare time vs. the Trip Odometer

15min? We'll need a bigger battery (i.e. standard size). The Prius already auto-shuts off in ACC mode after an hour!

And at least in Canada, we do have a parking brake chime

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh, yes, elapsed time is what my 04 Z's manual calls it.

The 15 minutes was something I just came up with off the top of my head. Maybe 5 minutes is good enough. But, again, it should shut cut power to the stereo when the driver's door is open and not run any longer until the driver exits the OFF state.

It's just sometimes nicer to be able to continue listening to something on the stereo after reaching a destination w/o interruption and w/o having to leave the car in READY mode. Powering down then going to ACC means a brief interruption.

Didn't know about the 3rd gen's chime. If it only had a message too.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. I think on the IS, someone found out that if you shifted to neutral then press the POWER button, it goes to ACC instead of OFF. Too bad we can't do that in the Prius since it's an electronic shifter.

Apparently the 3rd gen chime is a Canadian thing?? Someone mentioned that the US version doesn't have it.