1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of proposed improvements for future versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Bobart36

Bobart36 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As part of the nav display, especially if it goes HUD, I would like to see the speed portion change to reflect going past the posted speed. It would really help for some of the hilly country I drive through here in NH where the Prius likes to take advantage if the shift isn't set to B. We have sections that appear 'flat' but they slope enough to raise your speed to an attention getting level if you are in the right wrong tax-strapped town.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a) Make 8-way adjustable power driver's seat w/ power lumbar available in more trims, at least as an option, or

b) Make the mechanically adjustable driver's seat also 8-way by adding tilt knob for front of seat bottom (as found in US made FJ Cruiser). A fixed seat bottom tilt in wrong position can really wreak havoc on driver's comfort: Must be adjustable. Lumbar adjust mechanical lever would help too.

06054wd_02z+2007_Toyota_FJ_Cruiser+Drivers_Side_Interior_View.jpg

Thanks.

3. harold

harold Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When do the 2014's arrive in the showroom or available for order?

Are there an real confirmed updates?

4. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    oh dear, please, no.
    no MPG is worth having wheel skirts and a boat tail...

xpcman likes this.
  5. chengisk

chengisk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. Prius LCD display has a bit of cost cutting built into it. On the other hand, wearing a polarized glass and viewing an LCD display though it do not vibe together. The LCD display by itself has a polarizing filter on it. Two polarizing filters at certain rotational angles cut off a fixed amount of light waves. Remove your glasses and slowly spin it around as you view the LCD display through it. Only at a particular angle it lets in maximum amount of light. And this amount is actually lower than what can be seen without a polarizing filter.

jerrydelrey likes this.
  6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh, please do. Pls Toyota, do!!!

7. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you're looking for the original Honda Insight...

8. jerrydelrey

jerrydelrey Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a simple one. Allow the passenger seat to slide forward about 2 more clicks. This will allow front seatback to Align with the rear sea back; when you fold the rear seatback forward, and the front seatback fully reclined.

Currently when I want to carry something long (surf board), I take off the front passenger headrest, slide it all the way forward, recline front passenger seatback all the way, and fold rear seatback forward (rear head rest folded). In this configuration it seems like the front seatback is holding up the rear seatback.

There is currently room in the front for the seat to slide forward more, I suggest make the rail longer, and let the seat slide forward more allowing the seatbacks align.

9. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please do not increase the cost of my Prius in order to add sizzle.

Please do not decrease my mileage in order to add sizzle.
    I do not need a car that goes from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds.

Please do not make the Prius into a Tesla. I do not want a Tesla. If I did, I would buy one.

Please do get the EV range of the plug-in up to 40 miles (or even 25 miles).

10. BlueCrabNC

BlueCrabNC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get rid of that inane beeping when the car is in reverse. We are not backing a dump truck. And the driver knows that he/she is in reverse when the backup camera comes on. I would also like to see some color added to the instrument display. The C and the V had this at their individual introductions. The plain white is boring. But the BIGGEST improvement that the Prius desperately NEEDS is a revamp of the UI for the Entune/nav. First of all, it is awkward to have the nav classified as an app on Entune. And it needs more apps added to the Entune. I also would like to see the solar roof pkg as a stand-alone option on ALL trim levels. Maybe just a little more sound-deadening materials. BUT, that said, I have never LOVED a car nearly as much as my '13 Prius.

HeyItsSolomon likes this.
  11. jnadke

jnadke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You do realize the dealership can turn the reverse beeping off, right?

Some people like it, so you know you're in reverse and don't back into something (or a pedestrian), since the shifter knob returns to its default position so that there's no physical indication of what gear you're in other than the display.

And the solar panel is largely useless... It doesn't charge the car. Speaking as someone who has the solar panel (moon roof is nice, though).

12. gas zipper

gas zipper New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Please turn off the annoying reverse beeping. I hate that thing and it's actually making me a worse driver. It's very distracting and it could cause me to get into an accident

13. Bob G IA

Bob G IA Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I want my next Prius to be is a Prius V plug-in with a few "extra" features.
    I want:
    - 50 mile range on EV. - 60 MPG when operating in hybrid mode.
    - AWD with "high" mode, meaning I can press a button and raise the vehicle higher to provide 8" of ground clearance when operating below 40 MPH.
    - A selection switch that resets the nominal battery charge level to be nominally 40% to allow for increased regen braking capacity.- Solar Panel powered cabin air circulation standard for all trim levels.- Engine block heater standard with the ability to draw upon the traction battery to power it. Anytime the car is charging the engine block heater is powered and controlled by a timer and/or the remote FOB.
    - Variable front cooling inlet vent size. Only allow incoming cooling air when needed. Combine this with replacing the A/C with a dual mode heat pump to allow cabin heating without the ICE being needed, at least under moderately cool conditions. When operating in EV mode the heat from the inverter could be used to boost the heat pump heating mode.
    - Rapid charging, 50 miles of EV mode range with 5 minutes of charging.
    - Towing package option to include necessary HD components, factory class I hitch, trailer wiring, and towing capacity of up to 1000 lbs. Also, a towing mode which modifies the mechanical gear ratio to limit top speed to 70 MPH and provide lower gear ratio for the synergy system.OK... wishful thinking might be pushing my new car out of my price range.... Still fun to wish, lol.

14. Greg C

Greg C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want my new Prius to be a Prius. If you want an urban SUV, buy one. Everything new must give better economy and lower emissions. So lower drag body, the same performance, even less would be OK with me. The target should be to better 3l/100km on the govt tests (100mpg imperial/80mpgUS)

15. Bob G IA

Bob G IA Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, maybe some of my towing ideas better match a Highlander hybrid. But I still want the FWD drive system, mainly for 4 wheel reg braking.

16. ...bill

...bill New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2 cents. Apologize if these are stated elsewhere.

1. Improve MPG 10% (~60+ MPG)
    Direct injection gasoline (more HP & efficiency) + 3 cylinder engine (save weight/friction)
    1a. Manage engine compartment temp better. We all know grill blocking works, exploit those effects.
    2. Don't increase cost
    3. Better sound deadening without weight penalty (ya, I don't know how to do this either)
    4. Stop confusing us with cheap wheel covers. If there's an aero advantage to wheel design, make some premium alloy wheels that are aero optimized.
    5. Loose the Star Trek center console thing.
    6. Some way to enable glide mode. Resets at restart.
    7. Auto shut off interior lights after 60 min, or some other reasonable timeout.
    8. Make entering PWR mode a downshift-like detent on accelerator pedal. That is, pedal pressure feedback when leaving high efficiency driving. This could be variable depending on charge, temp, etc, etc.
    9. Use A/C system as a heat pump for heating. Most of the hardware is already there. Integrate part of A/C condenser and the ICE/inverter radiator and eliminate the conventional heater core. That is, existing A/C evaporator can work as the heater core. At very cold temps, heat exchange can be at condenser/ICE radiator (they're already co-located). This should save weight and cost and improve efficiency.
    10. Rear visibility could be improved. Realize importance of rear spoiler/wing thing, but keep trying to improve this.

FYI,
    ...bill

17. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, only beep when you are about to hit something. Proximity alert. Beeping all the time is like crying wolf constantly.:mad: :mad: :mad: Maybe beep outside so you don't run over hearing impaired squirrels.:LOL:

18. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Agree, the seat needs to tilt more as it is killing my legs.

19. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I bought a scan gauge II so that I could change the continuous beep to a single one time beep. The beeping is so distracting, that I thought I was going to hit something. I did it myself because my idiot service department at Big Two Toyota in Gilbert wouldn't do it for free.

20. HeyItsSolomon

HeyItsSolomon New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

I agree whole-heartedly. Entune is my only gripe with an otherwise great car, and I think in addition to UI improvements, there could stand to be better integration between Entune and the native data screens. I think it's kind of silly that you don't use the steering-wheel-mounted voice activation button with Entune--you use one that shows up on the touch screen. Also, the car wants me to tell it how much gas costs per gallon when Entune can and does essentially commandeer your smartphone to tell you that very information.