1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of proposed improvements for future versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Not to be OT, but an IPS (In-plane-switching) display solves the "sunglasses" problem. The display is slightly dimmer all the time with polarized glasses, but rotating the glasses doesn't cause the display to get lighter or darker. They do cost more, however. Most newer phones, tablets, and higher-end laptop/monitor displays have this technology to keep colors accurate at any viewing angle.

I would go as far as to suggest that any LCD that is a primary instrument (i.e. speedometer), should be an IPS display to counter the effects of wearing polarized sunglasses.

Thus my suggestion for improvement is to use this type of LCD technology (with good LED backlighting) if using LCD at all for information display.

One must remember that LCDs don't react very well to extreme cold (slow response) or heat (start to darken a bit). They're always organic LED (AMOLED), but they burn-in/fade over time and are a bit more power-hungry.

2. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    A completely different view: a 'package 0'. Rather than adding stuff, offer an absolute bare bones package, ie:
    No CD player.
    No A/C unless required by law.
    Only one display. No HUD or separate display for entertainment/GPS systems.
    No parking assist, lane assist, traction control or ABS unless required by law.

Why? There are many people out there that cannot afford an upperscale Prius, and as the population ages, this number will go up. Now, such a package should be able to be upgraded, but only minimally.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Upgrades don't work like that.

Just because they charge you $2000 for a nav unit, doesn't mean it costs them $2000 to make it so therefore one without could be sold $2000 less. They pay peanuts for the parts themselves because of large volumes and general re-use throughout the line. The cost of the car with the lowest option package for rental cars is as low as it is going to get. Would you really sacrifice power windows to save the $5 - $10 total that the 4 motors and 8 extra strands of wires saves? Probably not.

anotherOne likes this.
  4. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Isn't the Prius C a pretty bare-boned version?

5. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was looking for an absolute bare-bones package that I could add on what I want rather than have to choose a package that will suit my needs but has things I will never use. However, it would probably be too expensive/cost efficient to be made. Anyway, another suggestion:
    Make the real time mpg indicator to tne right of the speedometer be able to display 1) real time MPG (as it does now) or 2) trip MPG as it changes in real time (resetting to zero when car turned off), or 3) tank MPG as it changes in real time, resetting to zero when trip meter reset to zero.
    Why? I would like to see these numbers without having to look away from the road.

6. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about a sensor under the front bumper to warn you about high parking lot curbs before you damage your car.

Bob G IA and usnavystgc like this.
  7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This may be a repeat of one of the hundreds of posts on this thread but the whole interior of the Prius needs a complete redesign. This would especially true in the use of better materials. From the cheap carpeting to the horrible sand paper like textured plastic trim, it could all be much better. If Toyota wants to stay ahead of the Hybrid market they need to make some serious upgrades.

8. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Get rid of the vibration noise in the dash - has anyone figured out how to suppress these? My rattle is coming from somewhere near the glove box in the dash - maybe in the air vent? Or maybe in the whole flat surface of the dash on top?

9. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rattles can be extremely elusive to find. That's why you need to have someone ride along to pin point the annoyance. The hardest thing is to find the rattle. After that you can decide your plan of attack to eliminate it.

BTW, don't ever ask you GF or wife to help you out. Get a good friend to help you. :)

mozdzen likes this.
  10. Skateruk

Skateruk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about a Blue LED light in the bonnet badge to emphasise the fact that it is a Prius..........?

11. Gee3

Gee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How about some guides of some sort on the screen of the backup camera so you can figure out where you are when you're backing into a parking spot, etc.

iPhone ?

12. R1CH13

R1CH13 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would like to have a standard transmission hybrid that is a 3 cylinder turbo. (Check out Nissan 3 cylinder turbo engine weighing 85 lbs.) How about making the vehicle lighter to 2800lbs? Better cloth seat quality like the Camry and Corollas? More cargo capacity? Better heating (it gets to -10 degree F sometimes and the heater just blows out warm air.)

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make power driver's seat available at lower cost trim. Must include tilt adjust!!

Seatback angle always adjustable, why make seat bottom angle (tilt) fixed in a manual adj. seat ???

So, it's ok to support the back, but leave legs with too little or maybe too much support and pressure ... while driving??

Make manual seats more adjustable or get rid of them altogether!

And get rid of the marketing BS on driver's seat : the '6-way adjustable driver's seat' only does 3 types of movement : Sliding, Seatback angle, Height adjust

14. Jerry Liebler

Jerry Liebler Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I want ECO mode, normal mode and PWR mode to change the behavior of cruise control to the best economy in ECO. This is especially needed where there are hills in the road. Ideally, in ECO, when climbing the speed would fall off as needed to stay in the ECO range (limit ICE power to the max efficiency region) and when falling CC would first back off ICE power to zero then allow speed to build up to avoid any regen. PWR mode should retain the present CC. Normal mode could be a limited version of ECO that limits speed variation to +/-3 MPH or more or less.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not only is the steering wheel too far away for the amount the driver's seat slides back (yes, of course with wheel pulled all way out) ...

some of the audio buttons, namely the TUNE / FILE button is so far away, I have to lean up out of my seat to reach it. Same with the audio POWER, ON/OFF button.

At this point, the MUCH cheaper 2014 Corolla, all models, have BETTER driver's seat, steering wheel placement, audio and climate control buttons.

btw, the 2013+ Civic seat, st. wheel, audio and climate controls are better executed than this 3rd Gen Prius, IMO.

Takes more than high MPGs, practicality and reliability to make a truly great car.

16. Gee3

Gee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seat and mirror memory option like BMW. So if you have 2-3 different drivers they can press the # that corresponds to that driver and the seats and mirrors will adjust accordingly.

It would just make it easier since both my wife and I drive the car.

iPhone ?

cycledrum likes this.
  17. Gee3

Gee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Or a parking assist grid and warning signal/alarm for the backup camera when you get close to another object.

iPhone ?

18. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A lithium ion battery would be lighter, but by how much? What are the downsides vs. the current NiMH battery? Higher cost? Less longevity?

19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The PiP already has Lithium batteries as standard equipment....

20. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two