1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summary of proposed improvements for future versions of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by CivicQc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can they get rid of the passanger air bag light:mad:

wife was driving last night , would a pain that light is

2. lindak

lindak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know! How about someone who turned down the car of their dreams because of one deal breaker, an obstacle that could not be overcome? You aren't hearing much from us because we sadly walk away and nurture our broken hearts in another vehicle.

I just had another conversation with someone who can't sit for long in Toyotas because of their refusal to consider the basic laws of ergonomics. In his case it was a Sienna, but I've now encountered people rejecting pretty much every model for this reason. And in my opinion the Prius is the worst of all, with its forward jutting headrest and winged seats that push the shoulders forward out of a neutral position.

If the headrest could have been tilted a few degrees I would be a Prius owner now, even despite the shoulder mispositioning. One single small detail. I was told that the non-adjustability of the headrest was a safety feature, put there for my own good, and that I should appreciate Toyota's attention to my safety. As it turns out, that was true. The headrest completely protected me from the accelerator and brake issues by preventing me from buying the car.

I still pine for a Prius. That car just calls me.

Linda

1 person likes this.
  3. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A rain sensor for the sun roof could be incorporated into the electronics very simply. If I'm dumb enough to leave the roof open and it rains :eek::mad:. Remove or replace some of the nonessential, annoying beepers and seatbelt lights--would probably save $$ and front seats.

4. Tore

Tore TORE

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As a matter of fact, the EU specs already have this feature as standard or optional equipment. As for Scandinavia specs, this is standard equipped.

Another issue..the Tonneau cover poorly retracts during cold temperature ( minus 5-10 Centigrades ). So far I`ve only seen this issue reported one time by Tideland Prius last year.
    Having suffered a long and cold winter for almost two months in my part of the world, I would be surprised if no-one else has experienced this problem, as the low temperatures this winter not only affected the Scandinavian countries as far as I`ve been told...

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well it happens all the time if I leave the car out in -10°C or colder. So far, it's above 0 during the day (~5-8°C) and it's fine.

But the car already sounds a chime if you leave the moonroof open and turn the car off.

6. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Did you try raising the headrest? Because of the angle, raising it a bit allows more room for your head to move back (or the headrest not protruding into where your head normally is).

7. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I was told yesterday is there have been several cases of people hitting the hatch release handle by mistake whilst on the highway, resulting in the hatch opening and the cargo being released on the road... Releasing the trunk door on a sedan does not have the same consequence. So apparently that is why there is no hatch release handle in hatchbacks.

On some vehicles, the handle is a button and works only if the car is in Park.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wha?? Why would you release the hatch while on the highway? If it's an electronic release button, ok fine (Although why you would be pressing buttons to the left of the steering wheel is beyond me since everything you need is on the right side). If it's a cable-operated release, why the hell are you reaching down there?

9. CivicQc

CivicQc The world needs more prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I thought the same when I heard that. But then I recalled back when I was driving a Cavalier, the carpet sometimes got stuck under the trunk release handle, keeping the handle in a raised position. I guess someone could this way lift the handle by accident, just by moving his feet on the floor. Looks unlikely, but knowing we are several million drivers, a few odd things may happen out of the lot, and that may be sufficient to convince car companies to modify their models to avoid law suits I guess, or the government writing a new law. I don't know...

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    like... redesigned floor mats? lol

11. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Near the fuel gauge pips display digital readout of actual fuel in tank.

2. Based on actual miles driven on last tank of gas give a more realistic estimate of miles when you fill the tank. In other words. If I got 380 miles on a tank of gas in stop and go city driving where I'm not doing good hypermiling it is 'insane' to display after filling the tank a range of 565 miles.

3. I like new gadgetry but I cannot afford to buy into it every few years. All car industries should start thinking about modifying cars more rather then selling replacement cars.

Examples:

1. If I wanted a driver's seat with lumbar support I'd like to trade in my current seat for a matching seat that has lumbar support. Currently Toyota is very happy to just laugh at the thought.

2. Say the 2011 model has fixed the very weak red colors used in the engine / fuel economy displays. I'd like that mod change in my 2010 with credit for the old display.

3. ?? The sky's the limit. I'll believe it when I see it. Why sell 'em a $1K mod when you can sell 'em a $26K car!

1 person likes this.
  12. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To see outside temperature in the HUD (Head Up Display in the windshield) and not in the radio operator screen (Prius III Luna without GPS)

1 person likes this.
  13. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Passenger air bag light lit all the time with passenger in seat. Once weight determined and airbag light reads either 'on' or 'off' and seat belt light is 'off' because passenger is buckled up; and after car drives off for one minute or so then the passenger air bag light should automatically dim to no light at all and stay that way until passenger shifts around to much and/or passenger leaves and re-enters car.

1 person likes this.
  14. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Green ECO Mode light indicator only distracting at night. Suggest it dims out one-minute after selection.

1 person likes this.
  15. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Center console cup holder big enough for 1 liter container. Or clever adapter to securely fit existing cup holder with larger holder for 1 liter container above it.

16. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like the upgrade idea. Of course it won't happen because they make money by selling new cars. Also, it is silly to think you should get a credit for returning an old display. What would Toyota do with the old one? If they did this, then they would just have to charge an extra 10-20% on every car from the start.

As for the ECO mode light going out after a minute...how would you know what mode you are in? It is sticky from the last time you shut it off and you could start the car, backup a ways and never see it.

3PriusMike

17. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The remote for the outside mirrors should be on the door
    I find I have lean forward to adjust the mirror where it located now, also need a light on the controls

2 people like this.
  18. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I basically agree of course. Toyota and the car industry in general isn't going to give away something for nothing. But selling new cars all the time is a waste of resources too. Maybe another time on another planet.

As for the ECO mode light though, the Hybrid System Incicator (HSI) is where the type of mode could be fully displayed. Right now both ECO and Normal Modes light up the 'ECO' icon in the display. Brighten up the red when Power Mode is selected too. Make a distinction there between the modes and the green mode lights by the speedometer could go away all together.

1 person likes this.
  19. malachite

malachite New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i agree with airbalancer, we need light on the controls.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With driver's seat fully back and down, reach to the steering wheel is noticeably farther than in a Camry which offers even more legroom. Why is steering wheel farther on Prius? New airbag distance requirements, of someone didn't check measurements against a Camry?

Improve the shape of the steering wheel spokes - those silver plastic bars limit area to grab lower part of steering wheel, which is a more comfortable place to grab a far steering wheel, in mild traffic.

1 person likes this.