1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summer gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rflagg, Apr 5, 2005.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

This morning was a great commute - yesterday the temps in the morning were 30s, today it was 50s-60s in the am, which pushed me up over 57MPG. The evening commute tonight might take a hit because of the - gasp - A/C since it's supposed to hit 80 today - but I usually drive with it off and suffer.

And yeah, we have a very similar commute, I ride at 42/40 as well on the tires, etc. Are you running synthetic oil? I know arguments go back and forth whether that makes a difference or not, but I'd think it'd be pretty minimal.

I hate to say it, but I'm due for an oil change, and don't want to go in because they usually run the car a bit which decreases the mileage a bit, but I'm looking at my best tank thus far right now and don't want to do anything to jinx it! ;)

-m.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    57 mpg is excellent!!!

you will find that the cost for air conditioning is much much smaller than the cost of cold weather.

at max cold, you would have to be driving 75+ to get to the low 40's.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I have the perfect commuting situation.

First of all, I park in heated underground parking, so the car is at room temp by morning. When I think of how low my fuel economy got over winter, I can only imagine if I had parked the car outside overnight. Same as heater performance.

Second, once I leave my condo, I hit Bishop Grandin Expressway and can keep it right at 70 km/h for almost 9km. IMHO that's the perfect speed for maximum fuel economy. At steady velocity, the MFD will settle down to 3.5 with temps +13 C.

My GMC Sierra never got more than 16 MPG (Absolute best I could record) under similar driving situations.

Jay

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, yeah. Well my garage isn't heated but it still beats leaving it out in the cold. It's a one lane 50km/h street all the way to the university's hwy (80km/h). There are 4 lights and the total distance travelled on that street is ~9kms. The highway is 4kms long, slight uphill in sections towards the university. Depending on whether I'm late for class or not, I should be able to induce EV within the university.

Edit: The commute back is better since the engine is warmer and the highway is a slight downhil and when back on that street, it's pretty much EV all the way except for 4 very short hills that I would have to climb. That's where I would make up for my cold morning usage.

Hmm, speaking of which, when does summer fuel return in Canada?

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it gets warm enough for summer fuel up there??

OR

summer in canada?? is that an oxymoron?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. That reminded me of a joke about moving the border south and how this guy who's living near the border (south side) said it'll snow on his house and how cold it'll be if the border was moved to the south of him

7. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No - I'm not running synthetic. Have often thought about it though...

I think one difference may be that I leave a bit earlier in the morning (out the door by about 5:45). This morning, for example, the temps fluctuated between 35-45 F on my drive to work. Mr Snowflake popped up quite a few times...

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    David:

:lol:

Ole Mr. Smarty Pants has hit another home run.

Jay

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually we maybe on summer gas now in my area. i have 207 miles on the current tank at 54.5 mpg. but then again, it was 65º F here. or about 18º C i believe. in fact at times when the sun was shining in, i opened the windows as not to have to turn on a bit of air...

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice! Well it's currently overcast and 15°C right now so I might have a nice commute back =) I already have 120kms and a bar off (probably halfway through the 2nd bar) so maybe we'll get that summer formula when I refuel next time

11. rflagg

rflagg Member

Well, lost the first bar off the fuel gauge today at 174 miles! Now sitting at 180+ miles with the computer showing 58.3 mpg. These past four days have been Prius Zen for me, I hope it continues!

-m.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh btw, what's the difference between these two types of fuel? I recall someone saying that winter has lower BTU or something but that's all I remember

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    winter fuel simply has additives to lower the freezing level of gas. the additives do take up space but do not burn. so your "gallon" of winter gas doesnt have a gallon of gas in it hense to lower mpg figures. difference runs between 8-14% depending on location.

contrary to popular belief, nearly all regular unleaded gas is the same across brands with 95% of the gas being fungible (def; a commodity that is freely interchangeable with another in satisfying an obligation) keep in mind that this applies locally only. if you live in an area like mine, (we have E-10 required year-round) your formula may vary regionally

14. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It's quite likely that our summer formula fuel started 1 April. My mileage jumped from 52MPG to 57MPG this past week.

15. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

I can't imagine New Hampshire going to summer fuel so early. We're still due at least one more decent snowstorm!

That said, I recently had my first 500-mile tank, at 51.8mpg! Mostly Easter travel, highway and country roads driving, but the last hundred miles or so were my daily commute:
    • So I'm quite tickled with anything over 50mpg!

I think the temperatures have more to do with my mileage jump than any formulation change, since my fillup for the Easter tank was on March 25.

16. rflagg

rflagg Member

I'm now at 58.5, but the weekend is here, and this is when my mileage takes a hit - short errands and unexpected traffic patterns. As long as I can keep it above 55-56, I'll be relatively happy. :)

-m.

17. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think summer gas might be here in the DC area. I averaged over +61 MPG on the way to work yesterday (+50 miles) and +59 MPG by the time I got back home.

18. sullivka2

sullivka2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonDNH\";p=\"79619)</div>
    Where did you buy this possible tank of summer gas? I travel through Nashua daily and I'm due for a fill-up!

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    looks like its beginning to start. i remember all the proud posts of various conquests of the EPA figures.

love this time of year!!

20. Isabelle

Isabelle New Member

We must have it here in Boston too. Started the day at 53.9 based on about 150 miles of surburban commuting during this first spring-like week. Had to drive to Worcester and back on the Mass pike today, so I though I'd lose a bit, but I kept the cruise at 65, and right now I'm sitting at 56.7!

Personally, I think the crucial variable is the morning temperature...the warm-up this past week has been very fast with a morning temp of about 40-43F. The cusp is right about in there.

Other factor: after cold winter of reading these posts, we all have an education!