1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Summertime, and ..."

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No I'm not. I'm on the intertubes.

Tell your little story to someone while you can watch their face.

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, since you won't attempt to answer my question, and I don't really understand why you think I'm "on Acid" I won't continue this further.

But since personal attacks on other members are against the forum rules, if I see you do it again to myself or anyone else, I will report your post to the moderators.

3. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dogfriend's story makes perfect sense to me. I've witnessed a similar situation right near my home. Recently I was witness to my daughter almost being run over by a very loud garbage truck, just 10 feet from my garage because she couldn't hear it. At the same time there was a DC-10 jet taking off from Lindbergh field, and my home is right under the flightpath, a quarter mile from the runway.

So perhaps we need to make all automobiles, trucks and buses emit more noise to cover all situations. It's not just blind people at risk, its all comers. And we need to consider all disabilities. Kudos to BAC for his funny but seriously true statement:
    And we probably ought to place young toddlers at the absolute highest priority for protection and demand that all large automobiles be required to have rear view camera systems.

Some people are unfortunately born with Xeroderma pigmentosum, which is a rare disorder of the skin in which the skin cells do not have the ability to repair themselves when damaged by UV radiation. Typically, they must remain indoors or completely covered when outdoors. But that's unfair. Why don't we protect these people? I think we should build gigantic shade covers over every neighborhood where one of these unfortunate people reside. No matter the cost. I guess the relevant question here is "to what extend do you build this shade cover?", just like the question "how loud do you need to make the Prius?"

The point here is that we don't need to make the Prius noisier. Blind people already have the knowledge and the tools to adequately adapt to the dangerous environment of automobile hazards. Perhaps society should be trying to make all cars and trucks quieter so that a Prius could be more easily heard.

Where does this nonsense end? We can't protect everyone from everything. Society needs to set priorities based upon scientific risk analysis and cost analysis.

4. JamesWyatt

JamesWyatt Señior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, you sound so corporate... so Republican. You must hate the disadvantaged to put a price tag on their safety. ;)

(sarcasm)

5. carz89

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I do appreciate good sarcasm when I read it! And this thread is loaded with great sarcasm! Thanks for your vote!

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I went through Marine bootcamp and was often under the flight path. It was the only thing that drowned out the drill instructors. A platoon guide, I was 'fired' for missing a 'column left' order but I was 'rehired' two days later.

Just curious, how old was she at the time? The reason I ask is the Chidester report showed a high proportion of pre-school kids in the back-over accidents. I suspect this occurs because one of the earliest lessons taught is how to deal with traffic. Pre-school age kids are less likely to have this training.

Bob Wilson

7. jps000

jps000 No Exit

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How could you say something so outrageous!

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Dave_PH's attitude underlines one of the main reasons we have so many stupid laws in our country. We look for problems where there aren't any, and when we do find a real problem, we come at it sideways and backwards. Our politicians specialize in knee-jerk reactions.

Tom

9. carz89

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My daughter was 10 y.o., with perfect hearing, and very aware of her surroundings.

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As for the deaf, the law should require that all hybrids be distinctive looking (like the Prius) so that deaf people can spot one coming from afar.

11. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will use a 20w amp, outdoor speaker, MP3 player, and play the following: