1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sun Country public charging station - plug won't fully engage?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Spidey71, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Spidey71

Spidey71 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    My town has a free Sun Country public charging station in the downtown area. Everytime I attempt to access it, there has always been a Tesla tethered to it. Last night it was available, so I plugged in but my car wouldn't enter charge mode. It seemed like the plug wasn't able to go in far enough, and no amount of coaxing could get it to "click" in fully. It's almost as if there was some sort of gasket impeding my ability to fully engage the plug. I couldn't see anything upon visual inspection.

Has anyone had experiences like this? When I went into the building, the staff said "yeah, it doesn't seem to work very will with some cars".

Also, if Tesla's can charge up at generic charging stations (I'm assuming with some sort of adapter), how come J-1772 cars aren't able to charge at Tesla stations?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius receptacle can be finicky to non oem plugs for some reason.

it would take some expensive electronics to charge at a tesla charger, which would reduce the number of primes sold due to higher price.
    with a 25 mile range and an engine, public charging isn't worth the investment.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Because the public charging station is a standard that everyone uses (J1772). Tesla includes a J1772 adapter for its car port outlet so that Teslas can charge with public charging stations (or for owners who install non-Tesla Home chargers like apartment/condo dwellers).

Tesla superchargers are proprietary and for use for Tesla owners only. There are aftermarket companies that are offering adapters for cars like the LEAF.

Your Prime would not benefit from it so there’s no point plugging it in even if you bought an aftermarket adapter.

4. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've had some difficulty engaging some J-1772 chargers at public stations. I've attributed it to the outside of the connector being dirty. Wiping it with a Handi-Wipe before engaging has resolved the problem every time.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bwilson4web and Spidey71 like this.