1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Russ Yost, Apr 21, 2005.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bruce:

That's why I always get my eyeglasses made by a reputable optometrist, not some soulless mass marketer.

I was very surprised that before the nice gal put my new glasses on to check for fit, she aimed the glasses and the clip-on polarized shades at her LCD computer monitor and rotated them around.

She even commented to me that she was checking to make sure they got the polarizing angle correct. Apparently quite a few local and airline pilots use the same optometrist. They tend to pay more attention to detail.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

For me, the polorization angle would always be wrong. As you can see from my avitar, my head tilts to the left. Makes for difficult time with 3D shows at theme parks.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dan:

A good optometrist should be able to make glasses for you that have the correct angle. The one I go to is frequented by airline pilots who swear by him. He also has a growing list of Special Needs clients who value his quality of work and understanding of their problems.

Jay

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm a flight instructor and have had problems with polarized sunglasses reacting to the crazing (hairline stress cracks) in the windshield and also with the GPS screen (analgous to the MFD in the Prius). I went on Google and typed in "non-polarized clip on glasses" and found an outlet in California that makes both green and amber clip ons. If you don't wear prescription glasses, you can get non-polarized sunglasses.
    Try amber rather than green. The color contrast with the green digital numbers on the speedometer with make them easier to see. Polarized lenses are a problem in the Prius.
    Lately, however, I've stopped wearing sunglasses because I have self tinting prescription glasses that work fine outside; inside the plane and car, I wear a baseball hat. I've adapted to the increase in sunlight without sunglasses and I like the reduction in back reflection (light coming from behind you and reflecting off the lenses into your eyes).

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen\";p=\"83986)</div>
    Bob:

I know what you mean, that drives me *crazy* as well.

Aviation plexiglass and polycarbonate can scratch, and due to the angle of the windscreen, it really becomes apparent. There are products out there that can minimize this.

Have you tried the Tend Reconditioner from Regal Plastics? This is a brown glop you smear on the surface and wipe off with a cloth. Then you have to use the Polish from Tend, which is a white cream you smear on and wipe dry.

Their Polish also helps cleaning a lot: the windscreen will sheet water and bugs are a lot easier to remove. Only use it on a plastic surface, never on glass.

You can also use Aeroglaze from Arrow Magnolia if the surface is *badly* weathered. You know how plastic headlights turn yellow and clear tail lights (Like on our Prius) show scratches? Not with these products they don't.

I ordered mine from Sporty's Pilot Shop around 6 years ago. A little goes a long long way. Hope this helps!

Jay

6. dalerfink

dalerfink New Member

On a related topic, what brands of good sunglasses do people know that fit in the Prius overhead sunglasses compartment? My Smith's don't fit. :-( I am sure many brands fit in there fine... suggestions?

Dale

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use Ray-Ban, aviator style, throback to my flying days LOL. They fit in the holder perfectly

8. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a pair of prescription Oakley polarized sunglasses. Work great, no problems with the speedometer. The MFD isn't any worse than it usually is in sunlight (which is mostly useless, sadly). Worth every penny.

They fit OK in the holder (lenses towards the bottom of the holder when open), but I generally don't keep 'em there since they get rather uncomfortably hot when the car is parked in the sun.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dalerfink\";p=\"97114)</div>
    Dale:

My industrial safety glasses don't fit. My regular prescription glasses fit just fine. The safety glasses are big enough to fit over my prescription glasses without scratching the lens.

Jay