1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by br850rw, Aug 20, 2015.

1. br850rw

br850rw New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those that might still be interested in modifying their now few years old Prius here is the word from one of webasto installers and the Screen shot from webasto own database:
    image002.jpg
    The installation is technically possible but not recommended due to the fact you have to remove two of the roof stiffeners which in turn could make the roof unstable, therefore we would not get involved.

[​IMG]
    QUOTE="Madeleine, post: 592955, member: 37977"]Re: Got the Sunroof Blues

My dealer (and 3 others), all of whom wanted nothing more than to jack up the price of all my added goodies (custom katzkin leather etc...) at first said "yes" to installing a sunroof, then got back to us with a "NO NO NO!!!" for Prius.

Each time, and from different installers that these dealers use, the word was identical on the topic: they aren't safe, they aren't stable. They are fine as long as the frame isn't strained w/ an accident (or car flipped in an accident) because the engineering of the car roof itself isn't structurally sound with a hole in the middle.

As much as I want one, and will miss my other car for this reason, I certainly don't want to trade safety for it. All the airbags in the world won't be enough if the roof caves in - or so I'm told.

It's significant to me that the leading manufacturer of these aftermarket sunroofs states that they will NOT warranty for a Prius install. Also, it is hard to imagine that Toyota themselves wouldn't have offered one as a high-end option, as surely they know people would pay for them. What does Toyota know that we don't re: this issue?

I want one... don't get me wrong, but the company themselves that makes them and wants to sell them clearly doesn't want to sell them to Prius owners. Until they do, is it a good/safe risk?

... and damn, this sucks.[/QUOTE]

Daves09prius likes this.
  2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm not gonna judge, but why would anyone want a hole in their roof? sooner or later its gonna leak. and a complete violation of the KISS rule.

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I love sunroofs, the Prius is the first car I've owned without a sunroof. But even with my love of sunroofs, I'd never get an aftermarket sunroof installed, I'd only buy a car with a sunroof if it came that way from the factory. I just don't trust the vehicle's structural capability in a roll-over situation with an aftermarket sunroof.

ftl likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a few threads/posts here from people who have had it done successfully.

5. Bob Welcher

Bob Welcher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting that you can get a sliding sunroof on a 2022 Prius XLE as an option. Does Toyota add structural support?

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    GM used to do T-Tops installation on Pontiac trans am models after they were done at factory. Always wondered about that in a rollover. But forty years ago people were less paranoid and just lived their lives.