1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof installed! - 2007 Prius, Minneapolis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by craigk, May 22, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang that's a nice moonroof!!!

2. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let me try to answer some of the questions from the past few posts:

1. How long did it take them? They kept the car overnight. They could have done it in one day, but since it was their first Prius they took it slowly. I stopped by to see their progress and saw how much work it was. There’s a lot of stuff above!

2. Mileage impact? City-none that I can tell. Highway-to be determined, but there isn’t wind rushing into the car or a lot of noise, so I’m hoping there isn’t much change. I’ve maintained my current tank’s 51.5 mpg (at 350 miles) after driving since yesterday, city and highway.

3. Webasto sunroof, which one exactly is yours? The 730? I think it is, the measurements match. Here’s the specs off the Webasto website:

Hollandia 730 Inbuilt Sunroof

Features:
    Illuminated, Soft-Touch user control panel
    Two programmable positions
    Self-deploying wind deflector
    Automatic, ignition off auto-close
    Sliding sunshade, color-matched to interior
    Integrated safety system prevents closing on objects
    Generously sized, large opening
    Rain sensor ready
    Dimensions:
    Glass panel: 31 1/2" x 18 1/2"
    Look thru opening: 24 3/4" x 13 1/4"

4. Have you come across anyone else with a Prius sunroof for comparison? Not in person, only the pics I got from the West Coast Priuschat member. Five installers here told me it couldn’t be done before I found the one who said show me the pics and was confident they could do it, and do it right!

5. What did it do to the headroom? I didn’t measure it beforehand, so I can’t tell you for sure, but I don’t notice any change. Then again, I’m 5’6†so it doesn’t matter!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow.. auto-close upon ignition off. That's a nice feature!

4. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    where'd you have it put in, craigk?

rpm
    (eden prairie)

5. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ May 23 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]448411[/snapback]</div>
    Installation was done by Automotive Concepts in New Hope, 763-535-2181. Ask for Jeff or Jeremy. They did a great job on the installation, my only complaint is that they could have cleaned up my car better before returning it to me.

6. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey Craig,

Sunroof looks great! You weren't messing around when you said "I want one". I think it only took you less than 2 weeks to find someone to install it. Good Job!

I wish that my installers put the controls where you have yours. Mine was installed between the sunroof opening and dome light.

Here are some pictures of my installed sunroof.

Cheers!

[attachmentid=8273][attachmentid=8274]
    [attachmentid=8275][attachmentid=8276]
    [attachmentid=8277][attachmentid=8278]
    [attachmentid=8279][attachmentid=8280]

Attached Files:

7. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Very nice!

I wish someone would post a how-to on putting in a sunroof like Craig's. I would like to put one in mine but want to do it myself. It would be a great project!

Vince.

8. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Saegai06! Yes, it was the only item I really wanted, and I was more determined than ever to get it done when I was told by many it couldn't be done.

9. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks great! Nice to know it could happen!!

10. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I want one now. :D

11. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thank you SaeGai06 for adding your pics, they were the ones that convinced me to add the sunroof.

Thanks to everyone else for the nice comments!

Craig

12. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Very cool indeed. I went to Glendora Toyota here in so Cal one time to buy the all weather floor mats. One of the lot guys asked me if I wanted to have a sunroof installed. I just looked at him kinda weird and said no thanks. I remember laughing to myself thinking that guy was an idiot for suggesting that. I never would have believed someone did this to their Prius without seeing the pictures. (briefly I thought of a photoshop gag)

I would like one too, but I think I'll wait. The sunroof on my Camry was very nice last week as my wife and I drove to Pismo Beach for two nights while sampling some of the central coast wines. The sunroof added a nice touch to a few days off while cruising near the beach. Good job - nice pics.

13. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Posting photos of Prius Sunroofs should be illegal. If you ask me, it is worse than Cat Avitars.

Just kidding, I am insanely jelious!

14. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinalfr2 @ May 23 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]448129[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto - any *recommended* installers in New England from past experience (putting in roofs on past cars)?

There is an list on the Wesbasto site, but would prefer a recoommendation from a PC member based on personal experience.

Thanks!

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(craigk @ May 23 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]448675[/snapback]</div>
    Did the installer re-use your Prius' interior ceiling material for the sunroof's sliding cover?
    Looks like it matches your car's ceiling perfectly.

16. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ May 24 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]449175[/snapback]</div>
    The installer re-covered the entire ceiling and sliding cover to match close to factory original.

17. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was looking up info for the Thule TP54 roof tracks (the type that mounts permanently to the roof) and found that you can't (or shouldn't) install them on a car with a sunroof. Which kinda makes sense I guess. So if anyone's thinking of getting a sunroof, be mindful of the limitations on your roof rack options.

As for me, I'd rather have a sunroof and go with the rear-hitch option for bikes and other stuff.

18. pkittie

pkittie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man, I want one.

Anybody in So Cal get this?

19. dishpan

dishpan New Member

looks awesome!

1) where did they put the controls for it?
    2) does it have see through moonroof option, or just completely open sunroof?

thanks for posting the pics and info! hopefully we can benefit from it too =).
    dan

20. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    SaiGai06 and CraigK,
    Can you tell me the names of the dealer that installed your sunroofs?

Two Webasto dealers in Portland OR have already said they will not do it. I am going to send the photos to one of them, but I though perhaps your installers might be willing to share some details and tricks with Webasto that they could then circulate to their dealers to calm the fears.

One of the shops told me they were forced by a dealer to do a Prius once, but they don't think the results looked professional and they will not do it again. They said there was some distortion (bowing) in the roof skin. The other shop, I only got to talk to the secretary. That is the shop I am e-mailing the photos to.

Would either of you say there was any objectionable distortion in your roof skins?

Any update on the highway MPG? I would guess there is no noticeible difference.