1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof Too Expensive. Options?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by josiesmom, Mar 3, 2012.

1. josiesmom

josiesmom New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am considering purchasing a Prius V Five. I've driven the car and I really like it, but here is my problem. I love the panoramic sunroof, but I have no use for any of the other items in the AT package. I'm having trouble justifying spending $4 or $5 thousand for a sunroof. I thought of buying a Five without the AT and having an aftermarket sunroof installed, but it wouldn't be panoramic.

I'm now thinking of 2 possibilities. First, I'm considering going to Canada to purchase the equivalent of a Five with a sunroof. I understand that they are available there. but I don't know how hard it is to import a car into the US. Second, I'm thinking of shopping for an alternative to the Prius V that has a panoramic sunroof at a more reasonable price. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on either of these options?

2. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For what it's worth I agree. I wanted 2 things available with the AT package a well. The radio and moonroof. 90% of the AT features weren't important to me so paying for the AT package was unacceptable to me and I didn't. I was bummed the roof didn't open as well for fresh air. I also shopped around and came up empty on competition. So I compromised with myself and got a v5 without AT and decided to drive it for a year to see if I wanted to add an aftermarket sunroof or different radio.

My spouse liked the space and mileage so much we added a v3 as well.

I considered importing as well but didn't want the hassle. Let us now what you decide. We are quite happy with the purchases but I remain annoyed at Toyota for trying to force an expensive package for a few popular features. W

3. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out the new '12 Camry hybrid. You can get a moonroof in it and the back seats are actually a good bit bigger than the v. You do give up a bit of cargo room, though.

4. josiesmom

josiesmom New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good idea, but I really like the versatility of a hatchback. I'm kind of intrigued by stories about the upcoming Ford C-Max, but I don't know whether I want to wait till fall to purchase.

5. alz

alz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For what it's worth, I'm in the same boat. The panoramic is a fantastic addition, but all the extra stuff it takes to get up to that point is ridiculous. I looked into buying Canadian, but with the currency exchange, importing, and finding, it was working out to be the same price as a V+AT.

Is there a way to simply factory order it and wait 4 months to get it shipped to the US with out the extra fluff?

6. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    At the moment, Toyota is currently not offering it. It may happen later, but the current offerings are either All or Nothing at this time. Sadly, this is a new car model (Released around Q3 or Q4 of 2011) so the other options are probably under consideration at the moment, but probably will be around Q3 or Q4 before more options may be viable from the dealer.

7. Harry Pottar

Harry Pottar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just traded my 2009 Venza for the Prius v5, the Venza had the panoramic roof. The moonroof above the front opened the rear panoramic did not. While the roof looked cool it was a bit of a novelty. The kids used it for about the first 3 or 4 months of the car but after that I can not remember the last time we had the rear slider open. Less than five times in two and a half years. The issue was in the summer it got too hot so you kept the slider closed, in the winter it was too cold so you kept the slider closed for the extra insulation.

If it had been a cheaper option I may have gone for it but I won't miss it at all. The biggest thing we will miss is the powered tailgate, its very handy with you hands full to open and close the tail gate especially in the rain and snow. They should have had that as an option.

schinia and JMD like this.
  8. paulie140

paulie140 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had the same dilema, but couldn't wait. I sold my 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen that had a panoramic sunroof. I miss it.

I ended up buying the Prius Five (not the Prius V). I liked the wagon, but didn't love it. I love the standard Prius style better than the V, and I like the upgraded wheels, sound, interior, fog lights and LED headlamps. I almost bought the Prius four with the solar sunroof, but didn't want to shell out that much $$ for a sunroof. I don't need the solar fan/cooling option. I live in N Cali, and it's pretty mild weather 90% of the time. Personally, I think Toyota failed in the way they grouped their packages.

So now I'm also hunting for aftermarket sun/moon roof options. Because of the contoured roof on the Prius, most reputable places won't do much other than an in-built/small moonroof. It's not bad, but it cuts down on the headroom inside, which is not as good as the Prius V, especially in the back seat.

I'm still trying to find out why a Webasto Hollandia H500 Twin can't be installed. That is my #1 Choice.

My second choice would be the H900. It looks similar to the stock Toyota roof without the solar.

Links can be found on Youtube.

So in the end I settled for the car that had the most options I wanted and figured at some point, I would find a sunroof that made me happy. Or... I'll live without it and tint the windows instead.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting over 50 mpg!!!!! "Ka-Ching" :D

Happy Hypermiling!

Paul

p.s. If anyone finds something that works... I'd love to hear from you!!!

9. Superfry

Superfry New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a Prius v Five with the ATP and I struggled with the extra 4-5K pricetag as well. My wife and I loved having a moonroof in our last car and we fell in love with this one too. My kids love being able to look up at buildings and chasing the moon and stars. Yes, a bit of a disappointment that we can't open it for fresh air, but we cared more about the light. While the radio was nice, and the Entune system is ok (not entirely useful. Best feature is being able to search for destinations on my iPhone and then sync to car later), one of the biggest reasons for the ATP for us was the Advanced Parking Guidance System (Self-park) feature. It actually works surprisingly well and does squeeze into realistic New York City area parking spots. To top off the ATP features I find useful, the heated seats, autodimming rear-view mirror, integrated garage door opener are nice touches. One feature of ATP that doesn't get a lot of mention is the dynamic cruise control which I think is highly underrated. It makes for some very pleasurable highway drives.

In summary, what sold us was the moonroof, self-parking, and dynamic cruise control. Was it worth 4-5K? Not sure. All I can say though is that when you put all those things together + the other little touches, I'm completely in love with my Prius v and have not regretted anything about the purchase.

JMD likes this.
  10. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you want the panoramic roof and can buy it, then buy it. If you don't but you could have, you will regret it. If you can't afford it, that is a different story.

11. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure I agree with the above statement. I could have but chose not to because the value wasn't there for me. I would have paid for the ATP for a radio and moonroof desires which the practical (common sense) side of me said was too much for ME to pay. If I wanted the other features within the ATP it would be different but I didn't.

I think it boils down to one whether or not it is within your budget and two what you decide the features you want are worth to you personally.

The radio and moonroof weren't worth $5+k to me personally but that may differ with the next person. I think I would have regretted the ATP expense. My nickel's worth of input. W

12. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree. According to the OP, the cost for just one thing does not seem worth 5k extra when you don't care about the rest of the ATP. I went with ATP partly for the Moonroof as well, but also for the APGS and the DRCC. The Nav system screen is slightly better, but beyond that, the other stuff is kind of 'meh' but basically, I got 3 worthwhile things for the 5k, although it is probably closer to 2 or 3k worth of options I wanted versus the full 5k.

1 person likes this.
  13. Harry Pottar

Harry Pottar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just an FYI for anyone reading this and does not yet have a Perius v, I have a v5 none ATP (which I would have loved but A: the dealer didn't have and more importantly B: too expensive for my budget)

However I love my v5, I do have heated seats, auto dimming rear view mirror with home link ( garage door openers) , iPhone integration these are all standard on the none ATP v5.

I would have loved the dynamic cruise control and self parking though

Harry

14. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You forgot to mention the 17" Rims over the 16" (For looks), the Softex (Synth Leather) seats and LED lights are also standard.

15. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't have an answer, but I'm in the same boat, and would LOVE it if anyone around the PC community could come up with a reliable solution to get a large format sunroof into the genIII. Living in the northeast, there's no need for the solar option (though it's cool), and the cost markup is prohibitive, with little payoff in resale value. I would've gladly paid ~$1500 give or take for a good, panoramic, standalone sunroof option.

16. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i have a 2009 venza also, i will miss the power tailgate, but maybe the prius v's tailgate won't be as bad? cause it won't be as heavy. i will also miss the power seats. but i will not miss the moon roof and panoramic roof. i used them a very short time when the car was new but i didn't bother anymore, and you would have to squeegee the glass roof after washing the car, so's not to get calcium deposits on the glass. probably worse w/plastic roof. i would have really liked to have that radar cruise control.

17. schinia

schinia Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    yea, your right! one of the resorts in NY built a new addition and they put used cadillac windshields in the roof for skylights !!!

18. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I will never open my sunroof V but it came with the package and I like the glass look back top from the outside. I am surprised that nobody mention the PCS that is also a part of the package which ultimately can safe your life.

19. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think the $4-$5k price tag for the MoonRoof options and the accessories is well worth the money that is my opinion. It is nice to have, but it is not a requirement. Beside, the standard features of the car is enough to meet its expected performance.

Having the moonroof is not an essential item but I think it is waste of your money.

20. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't open the v sunroof (unless you are talking about the power retracting shades).