1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof trim molding failure 2012

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sandy22, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Sandy22

Sandy22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check your cars to see if you have any failure happening. Parked outside year round. Don't know cause but dealer has ordered parts. Supposedly mine is only the second vehicle to have a similar problem. With sunroof partly open, check for rippling at the bottom of the trims and for cracks forming in the corners. My first notification of the problem was a corner of the trim popping off during a car wash. Seems the trim wants to expand off the glass. The good news is of course that it is only cosmetic and there's no leaking or anything plus it is under warranty.

2. ThreeDogMom

ThreeDogMom New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2011 Prius IV and have to get the sunroof replaced AGAIN! The molding buckled after the weather warmed up from a few days of below freezing temps. This happened in 2014 also. They covered it the first time but will only cover parts this time. NOT happy! This is a defective part that doesn't work for people in northern areas.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is why I consider sunroofs a liability. I'd rather not have a big hole in the sheetmetal when there are other models available without.

4. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can you provide a picture of what you are talking about? I live in northern US and have not had any problems. I would much rather be prepared for any possible issues. One of the many reasons this forum is terrific.

5. Sandy22

Sandy22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Search for: 2011 Prius Sunroof Deflector Seal Deterioration?
    Lots of images there.

Spoke with a nice lady, at Toyota Canada customer service who said that the problem I have is not recognized by them. They would do nothing for me at this point until it becomes a known issue.
    She said that they did not recognize Priuschat as a source for reliable information.

If you have not filed a complaint with them, do so now. The toll free CANADIAN number is 1-888-869-6828
    If you have a sunroof inspect it for cracking in the seal and call them before the problem causes a leaking roof.
    What is needed to find out is the number of vehicles that have this problem and have reported it.

The nice lady did say that if it was determined that Toyota should do something about the seals then with my complaint to them I would be notified at that time.

Nora Chhun likes this.