1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunshade Recommendation

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Francos, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you guys use sun shade ? I am thinking to get a whole set to protect the batteries. The heatsheild shade from CanvasWorks looks pretty good. Anyone have this? How easy to put on/ take off?

Any one good shade besides this/

PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius HeatShield Sunshade - Front - $32.00

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I purchased one because all the aftermarket sunshades were too small for the Prius windshield. Fit is perfect, just too rigid to use, and roll up for storage. It's like unfolding a large box, inside your car. I went back to the jumbo size I purchased from Wal*Mart.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I live in the sunny SW, and tint my windows. I also use an $8 front sunshield.
    Any aluminium sunshield works great, although finding one to perfectly fit the Prius front windshield is either a chore or added cost.

Parking the car is a bit of a mental exercise:
    1. Can I find shade that will be there when I return to the car ? GO THERE :)
    2. Where will the sun be when I return to the car ? I face the car in that direction
    3. Will it rain ? If not, then I crack my windows open. This helps immensely.

Smart summer parking makes a huge difference to driving comfort and fuel economy. Nowadays I leave for work when ambient is 90 - 95F but the car is in the shade and cracked windows have allowed ventilation. I set the AC at 77F from the start. Within a minute the 'AUTO' fan speed is down to two bars which is ~ 100 watts, and I drive the 30 miles to work at 60 - 65 mpg.

markabele likes this.
  4. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I would like to buy a sun shade for my Prius Plug-in, but I'm having trouble deciding on which one. Is the Heatshield one sold via the PriusChat Shop the best one? Does anyone have any experience with the Weathertech Techshade?

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Heatshield sold at PC Shop very heavy duty and should last the life of the car.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  6. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Make one by yourself ? I made one that is shaped perfectly for front and rear glass, attaches to the OUTSIDE of the glass. Used Reflectix (spelling?) material which is a roll of aluminized double bubble wrap, available at Lowes. Makes it way cooler inside than any sold shade.
    I attach it using the masking tape. Not the prettiest, but the easiest solution. I went through magnets and Velcro, but ended up with masking tape.

- Alex

7. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, I will go with that one. Is it the same product for the Liftback/Plug-in as for the Prius v? Amazon listing seem to indicate it is.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the sunshade made by Winplus USA. The shield is "cloth" supported by a wire frame. It completely covers the windshield & is light enough to be held up by the visors.

9. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Another vote for Heatshield. It covers the wing windows as well. My only complaint is that the Velcro closure strap is too short. You have to wrap it tightly and personally I think doing so shortens the life of the shade. I don't know if they make them to order, but when I purchased one for my truck, I told the guy at Heatshield that I didn't like the short strap. When my truck version showed up, the strap was longer than my Prius shade.

10. PriusC_Commuter

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well I ended up purchasing the Amazon one (due to my Amazon prime subscription) and it came in today. Seems like a good fit and good material. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I might post some pictures when I have some free time for anyone else considering a sun shade.