1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunshade

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by 2013-Prius v, May 5, 2013.

1. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looking for feedback, recommendations & where to purchase a made to fit sunshade for the v.

Thanks

iPhone ?

2. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose I could of adapted a generic "Wally World" sunshade...but I bought a "Heatshield" custom fit sunshade for my Honda Fit, which sadly really did NOT fit The Prius Windshield. The Fit windshield was bigger.

So I already purchased a new custom fit Prius windshield from Heatshield.

Heatshield: Sun Shades for Cars, Trucks, and other Automobiles

I really like the nicety and convenience of a heat shield that fits the windshield perfectly.

There are many, many now available. My experience with Heatshield is that it is a good product. My only advice if you do get one, is to buy a small piece of velcro strapping so that you can occasionally reverse the way you roll up the shield.

If you always roll it up silver side out, as it is designed, the side flaps start to curl in. If you mix rolling it up silver side out, and occasionally white side out the side window flaps stay much straighter.

Years ago, Heatshield was one of the few places that offered custom made shields. I think there are more options now.

I would admit, I liked my Heatshield for The Honda Fit a little more. For whatever reason The Honda Fit heatshield fit the window PERFECTLY.

My new custom made Prius Heatshield....is pretty good...but seems a little off...just a little tall.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    yep, that time of year is fast approaching for us too.
    I'm going to first see if a cheap walmart shade meant for minivans works. If not, then the $50 variety mentioned above. I really prefer the accordion type for storage rather than roll.

5. 2013-Prius v

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you both for the info. I'll check them out

iPhone ?

6. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've had both the Covercraft and Heatshield sunshades and overall I prefer the Heatshield. The Heatshield sunshade is much easier to handle (i.e. fold/unfold and place in the windshield) than the Covercraft. Also, the due to its design, I'm concerned with damaging the headliner when manuvering the Covercraft over the front seats to store it in the back seat. I also feel that the Heatshield does a better job of actually blocking the heat (no pun intended) ... the car seems cooler when using it over the Covercraft ... although I admit this could just be my perception. I like the Heatshield so much that I purchased another for my other car (Accord). Finally, I haven't had any fit issues with the Heatshield ... provides excellent coverage over the entire windshield.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Second Guill. Prefer the heatshield or other brands that has the same technology or build to it due to it's performance in rejecting heat. Still using my 9 year old heatshield until now for my other vehicle. BTW, I use the regular prius heatshield for my V too.

9. 2013-Prius v

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was leaning towards the heatshield since it also covers the side mini windows

iPhone ?

10. mhendrixcap

mhendrixcap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Just received the sunshade from the Prius Chat shop. Fits snug and works well.

SZR likes this.
  11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps I should clarify.

I really like my Heatshield for the Prius, and it might not so much be any size issues, but perhaps the way the shield angles down between the dash and the glass. It's a little harder to place than the Fit's heatshield.

I have found that if I wiggle it, and work with it a little more it fits near perfectly.

Maybe with time and practice and I'll get as fast at placing it in the window as I was with the Honda Fits heatshield.

But in anycase, I would recommend one...it's a good product.

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Initially, I purchased a regular jumbo sunshade from Wal*Mart. Being the largest non custom fit sunshade, it was still too small for the large Prius windshield. I ordered the custom HeatShield online. Quality, custom fit. But, I find it very inflexible. It's like unfolding a cardboard box inside the car. I like the product, don't like huge size and inflexibility when storing.

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heatshield?
    This is one that rolls up right?

I found, with my Honda Fit one, that it loosened up a bit with time. And like I posted above, I think rolling it up the other way occasionally helps.

I just got mine for the Prius, and it is a little harder to use than the Honda Fit version. But the more I use it, the more I'm convinced it's not the Heatshield product as much as it is the design of the Prius dashboard. The center instrument panel on the top of the dash, I think makes placing the Heatshield more difficult than placing the Heatshield in the Honda Fit. But I think this difficulty would exist with any and all Heatshields you would buy for The Prius.

It's a large windshield, and if you include the side windows, which Heatshield does,- it's going to be big.

I actually think rolling it up is about as easy and convenient as possible but with my new Prius one, and even in the past with my Honda Fit one, I never tried to roll it up within the vehicle. I'd take it down and angle it out the open door and roll it up. With time and practice I just got pretty good at this action. It looks daunting, but start rolling it up and it actually only takes a few seconds.

During the Spring and Summer when I'm likely to be using it a lot, Storage is flipping it onto the back-seat. During the Fall and Winter when I don't use it storage is in hatch area.

One thing I really miss from the Honda Fit, was the back-seats were designed to be able to be folded up. Which means when they were folded down? There was space underneath them. The heatshield use to fit beautifully out of sight underneath the back seats in the Fit. This unfortunately is not possible in The Prius.

In short, I think whatever Heatshield, windshield deflector you buy, for The Prius is going to come with useage compromises. But I like the Heatshield product. Despite some drawbacks and imperfections I would still recommend it.

14. ojay

ojay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone in Australia with a suggestion for a reasonably priced locally availble shade?

15. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. ojay

ojay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Postage to Aus is killer.

coffinhawthorne likes this.
  17. coffinhawthorne

coffinhawthorne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Killer is an understatement mate . More like a dirty weekend with Ivan

SM-G950F ?

bisco likes this.
  18. ojay

ojay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No comprende amigo...

19. coffinhawthorne

coffinhawthorne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Ivan millant if your from straya you know who he is

SM-G950F ?

20. ojay

ojay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was puzzled by the phone model number below your comment (reason I quoted the number).