1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suntan Lotion and Softex

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by skilbovia, May 20, 2013.

1. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My grandkids got into my 2010 Prius after being lathered up with suntan lotion. Every place that they touched is now stained. I have tried a few cleaners to get out the stains to no avail. Is this permanent or is there a cleaner someone can recommend that might get this out?

2. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ironic part of that is that Toyota has advertised that it is stain resistant. Did it actually stain it or lighten it? Do you have pictures you can post?

3. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I accidently got some on mine when it was new.. and it came off with just water and a towel.. it was light though.. and perhaps your's is a bit different in chemistry.. gl!

4. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the marks on the seats aren't faded, and haven't lightened the interior, it may be worth trying Windex. That was my go to cleaner for just about everything when I worked in a hotel housekeeping department.

5. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i don't know about others but I would never wipe down my interior with windex.
    this is what i use on my other cars (i have yet to clean the prius): Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner - Walmart.com

but of course, test it first.

perhaps our "Softex" is closest to vinyl? Vinylex Protectant: Automotive : Walmart.com
    If Lexol's Vinylex is anything like their other products (Conditioner/cleaner) it's good stuff.

6. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is an amazing cleaner and surprisingly gentle. I would not say that Softex is close to vinyl. It is very similar to leather.

7. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    to each their own, but you would never (never say never) find an interior detailer (professional?) using, let alone recommending, windex on the surface of a vehicle, be it vinyl or leather. windex isn't even very popular for cleaning vehicle's windows....

8. Rupert B Puppenstein

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They do it to remove stains on the carpet. They don't use it on paint, or on the windows typically. But it is great at removing all sorts of stains and build-up. It could easily be followed up with leather wipes to clean the rest of the seat.