1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super cold (around 15 degrees) start this morning, engine started very rough

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nivekonbass, Nov 19, 2022.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looking a little further, that same member posted similar information in several threads around the same time. One of the posts included:

I still don't get why it says only that. My keyboard seems to have all the right buttons on it where I could type "I work for Toyota..., trust me" if I wanted to. Maybe Toyota has rules where their people posting on forums aren't allowed to identify themselves in any way you could actually check?

And that's leaving aside that probably most of us on PriusChat can remember at least one time talking to someone who definitely worked for Toyota and didn't know jack. Others do, but usually you don't know which kind you're dealing with.

That member did also once post:

So ... somebody who works at a dealership, as opposed to headquarters, engineering, whatever.

About the only actual reason I can find to think the info was for real was this:

... posted on 9 December 2011 ... the TSB came out dated 10 January 2012. So that member may have been working at a dealership but does seem to have had some source with inside info.

#101 ChapmanF, Dec 10, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    Bill Norton likes this.
  2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm on it Buddy!
    As you know,
    These mods have proven benefits!: install red bullet solenoid, custco chassis braces, and short ram air in take

It's debatable if there is any benefit to this extensive service.: Clean egr,

3. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    haven't been on here in a while. but i just found this. thought i'd share. EGR valve only removal. Seems like he did not touch the difficult nut or loosen the EGR cooler.

He made some ghetto gasket for the EGR pipe, but he removes it so ignore that part. Look at how he removes the EGR itself though. Special tool ofc not linked in the description. 7:45 mark

#103 nivekonbass, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All this talk about the EGR system. I don't know the Gen3 in much detail. Doesn't the EGR valve have a position feedback sensor? Would it not set a code if it was stuck open and flowing exhaust gas? Can't say I have ever even heard of any EGR valve sticking open only when the engine was cold?

That's really the only way an EGR fault can cause misfire (rough engine operation) at idle.

Restricted or clogged ports at the intake manifold can cause "density misfires" for the cylinders that still get EGR, but only when the EGR valve is normally open (part throttle - loaded). That was fairly common some years ago on certain engines.

None of this will cause a cold start misfire. What can? Sticking valve (or hydraulic lash adjuster- if applicable). Fuel injector that's restricted or has poor spray pattern. Anything that can "foul" the spark plug (such as coolant in the cylinder). Sometimes poor fuel quality.

My Gen2 occasionally rattles a little now and then on cold starts. Ain't worth any effort to try and deal with such a "rare" intermittent occurrence.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Bill Norton likes this.