1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super Duper Hi Tech Question: How do you fold the side mirrors?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by going red baby!, Mar 23, 2010.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought the Euro versions had the option as well, but I know for a fact that the east asian versions 100% have this option.

[​IMG]

Basically it says "the mirrors automatically fold with the locking and unlocking of the doors" and it is 10.5k yen more. You can also do it with buttons on the door where the window up/down controls are.

See for yourself: toyota.jp Æ’IÆ’Å Æ’WÆ’iƒ‹ƒAÆ’NÆ’ZÆ’TÆ’Å Â[

Then click [​IMG] and go to page 2 where you will see this factory accessory.

It is a power folding mirror, and a power adjusting mirror. The US and Canadian models (and maybe the euro models???) do not have this as an option at all.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is the exact same OEM part at work. The japanese version Lexus and Toyotas have this as an option. Remember urban Japan is very desnely populated and it is common for people to let passengers out before parking, then fold in the mirrors and get into a parking spot. Nothing like parking here in the USA. A Hummer would take 2 spots in Japan, and probably not even fit on a 2 lane road.

3. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ya, I was hesitant to push on my mirrors too, but they do indeed go both ways...WHY do they go both ways?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but that doesn't necessarily mean it has power folding button. The auto-folding mirror option for the Gen 2 didn't have a power folding button (that replaces the current power mirror switch). We have a few US members who have installed it (along with the auto-tilt reverse mirrors).

The button you see on the IS in the video, for example, came from the factory with a power folding button in the mirror control unit. This is common in Japanese-sold cars. This option is usually removed for the US market since their parking spots tend to be quite wide.

5. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My guess is so that when hit from either direction they are likely to fold rather than break. This happens a lot more in places with narrow roads and very tight parking than it does in Nth America.