1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super happy uk guy here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by iron-icman, Jul 1, 2017.

1. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    So as you might be aware I have just purchased a Prius after finding out I'm going to be a dad and needed a bigger car, supper happy and got invited to Scotland which from us is about a 4 hour trip and about 225 miles

I was optimistic about what mpg it would achieve but yes at sticking around 65 70 mph it got here with an average of 60mpg and two notches off the fuel tank I'm well pleased so thought i would share

Tideland Prius and Data Daedalus like this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fantastic! Great to see that the Gen 2 is still pumping out great mpg. (That's 50 US MPG for those who are reading)

iron-icman and Data Daedalus like this.
  3. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Prius ownership. Prepare to be amazed at how frugal this vehicle can be utilising fuel.

You might have heard all the extremely unkind myths and perpetually bad comments about the Prius - however, be prepared to discover how ignorant people really are about this vehicle and it's truly revolutionary and futuristic propulsion unit (a.k.a. Hybrid Synergy Drive).

Marvel at how the Prius handles in urban traffic with its complete lack of a clutch pedal, and how unlike many other automatic vehicles, there's no change up or change down in gears while accelerating or decelerating. It just GOES.....a bit like an aircraft at takeoff.

You've had 225 miles of travelling to realise the Prius is NOT slow. However, like many of us, you bought this vehicle to SAVE on fuel bills - not to whizz around like a boy racer. You've appreciated the fact that its engine charges its own traction battery, it crawls along quietly on electrical power in congested slow moving traffic, and the engine smoothly spools into like seamlessly, WITHOUT the sound of a starter motor (unlike those pesky start stop systems on other cars).

This is a vehicle that ENCOURAGES you to keep to the speed limit, THAT multifunctional display unit ensures that you become "painfully" aware of how wasteful it can be, driving around like the fast and the furious. It metaphorically wags a disapproving digital finger at you for racing with it - underlining how much fuel you're needlessly burning away - and that's YOUR money!

Indeed, it is a very satisfying experience to drive it both on urban roads and motorways in a calm and collected manner - believe it or not; once upon a time, you had to take a ride in a Rolls Royce Limousine to experience such a smooth and mostly noiseless drivetrain. Those who sneer at the Prius have NO idea how great this vehicle really is!

My 2008 Prius Tspirit always leaves a big smile on my face when I'm behind the wheel. What's not to like? The interior space is a revelation, and the rear passengers can stretch their legs very comfortably. Up front, it's like sitting in the cockpit of a Star Trek Shuttlecraft. That digital dash is just so......dashing! It has a shape that invokes suggestions that "it came from outer space".

Then there's that steering with most of the controls you need on it, Tspirit owners get voice control too - you can give the Prius verbal commands (after pressing a button on the steering wheel) like "Audio On", or "CD Changer", or "Automatic Airconditioning On" and so on. And the vehicle will do your bidding, while verbally confirming your request!! There's about 3 A4 pages of voice commands (3 rows of commands per page!) for the Prius II Tspirit! Resistance is futile......you will be assimilated into the exhilarating Prius experience.

It's like stepping into the 22nd century!

The Prius II design was heavily over engineered, which is why there are still so many of them in excellent condition plying UK roads. Yes, they're EVERYWHERE.....!!! They're also ultra reliable.

Enjoy your Prius, and I do hope it brings you great joy wherever you go!

One more thing.......in a few weeks, I strongly suspect you'll be wondering; why everybody isn't driving one of these? Why would anyone drive anything else? Why do many motorists hate the Prius?

Once again, welcome to Prius Chat, enjoy your definitive step int the future

iPhone ?

'LectroFuel, iron-icman and bisco like this.
  4. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, still a great vehicle. Mine now has 94800+ miles on the clock, and my last fill up got me 61.9mpg and 565 miles out of the 45 litre petrol tank. And I'd filled up before I got the beep warning that I was running on the reserve petrol! I could have probably got 600 miles out of the vehicle

iPhone ?

iron-icman and Tideland Prius like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! why does the avatar say 2012?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good catch! I thought it was a 2008 or something in one of his other threads.

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  7. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I don't know why I will have a look yes it's a 2008 version

8. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    IMG_6537.JPG IMG_6538.JPG
    All I have to say is wow and yes everything you say you are totally correct people think it's strange as I'm only 25 years old and get a few funny looks but I love it and love the car yes it's a top of the range t spirit with all them features you said however haven't used most of them. Here's a few pic from the ride to Scotland

500 miles cost to fill about £45
    Still has two notches of fuel left
    And averaged about 60mpg

Also watching the screen I was amazed and what high speeds the battery would kick in even at like 65 if I was just pressing it slightly you could feel the electric pull you along

Data Daedalus likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When using a web browser, click your name in the top right and select "Personal Details". You can change the car specified there to update your profile.

#9 Prodigyplace, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Data Daedalus and iron-icman like this.
  10. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_6418.JPG

This was my MFD reading just as I arrived at work in the morning with just one fuel bar left.

Interestingly, I made it 18 miles back home to my local Esso Petrol Station, where I refuelled, WITHOUT the last bar beginning to flash, (normally following a loud beep from the dash which indicates that you need to refuel immediately).
    When I refuelled, I only managed to get 41 litres into the tank!

The fuel bill savings are unbelievable!

Not very many vehicles this size will take you over 500 miles from less than a 45 litre tank of fuel.

iPhone ?

#10 Data Daedalus, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    iron-icman likes this.
  11. iron-icman

iron-icman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    That's great well done when I first picked up the car I'm from Leeds and got it from Sheffield about 1 and a half hours away on the way my dad drove back and over like a 50 mile journey it was like 75 mpg I'm just so super happy I hope I have this for a long time coming especially now I'm having a family