1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super Highway Mode and Ignition Timing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WaltD, Aug 24, 2013.

1. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I watched a Wayne Gerdes video on YouTube about Super Highway Mode with Ignition Timing, but the video didn't go into detail on how to do this. The video stated that you can get 70 MPG using ignition timing on the expressway. I have a Scan Gauge II installed on my 2011, Gen 3 Prius. I would like to learn how to use SHM with ignition timing while on the expressway. Is there a good article on this method, or could someone step me through the information. Thanks.

2. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here are a few more points. While I'm driving on the highway, I currently use kW and RPM with Scan Gauge II. I keep the kW between 12kW and 13kW (the sweet spot in the BSFC graph for a gen 3 Prius). And I keep the RPM between 1200 and 2000. I'm getting good MPG using this method, but I'm reading on some posts to use ignition timing instead of RPM. Any suggestion on how I can learn to use ignition timing for my Gen 3 Prius. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was Uncle Wayne referring specifically to GenIII? SHM was much easier on GenII Prii, and Honda Civic Hybrids of the same era.

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that thread is for GenII, 2004-2009 models. Look in later threads for Uncle Wayne's GenIII comments. I seem to remember he found SHM being more difficult, with less usefulness and benefit. And because of the different engine, it had different TPS and IGN numbers.

I have his GenIII SHM numbers written down somewhere inside my car, but don't use them. I'll try to dig them up tomorrow.

WaltD likes this.
  6. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all for your help. I'll read the thread fuzzy1 recommended. Wayne mentioned in the video that SHM is more difficult with a Gen 3. Currently, I find on the expressway keeping kW between 12kW - 13kW and RPM around 1300 - 2000 to work well with MPG, but these aren't exact numbers because of road and traffic conditions. Here's Wayne's video on YouTube. He mentions SHM toward the end of the video.
    . It's a great video for other hypermiling ideas also. Also he mentioned ignition timing for gen 2 is 14, and gen 3 is 21. Again thanks for your suggestions.

7. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are using a Scanguage in a Gen 3 try and move the accelerator to hold an ignition level of 19 to 23. It will work in flat areas as well as downhill. You should see the mpg jump up to 75 mpg or better.

A secondary level that is much harder to hold is ignition at 15 which provides little or no engine motive power and may initiate fuel cutoff.

Hope this helps

WaltD likes this.
  8. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, I appreciate your help with this topic. I have a Scan Gauge II installed in my 2011, Gen 3 Prius. To help me understand the SHM/Ignition Timing method, I have a few more questions. What are the road situations/ conditions that I fix IGN between 19 - 23? Do I keep the accelerator fixed between 19 - 23 at All times (up hills, down hills, straight road) and therefore do not do Warp Stealth on down hills? Does the SHM/Ignition Timing method replace the warp stealth when going down hill? Do I ignore kW and RPM and just focus on ignition timing? Again thanks for your help.

9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know what the Ignition Timing PID is called on Torque?

10. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe it is Timing Advance.

markabele likes this.
  11. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is useful on flat areas and small downhill for the 19 to 23 ignition range. The ignition range of 15 relates to the warp stealth you mentioned.

Going uphill you might see an ignition level of 30. It does not lend itself to going uphill. You switch to other methods, on the fly as the terrain dictates. Going uphill you can use a driving with load technique related to RPM or kw.

Sometimes I use a floor for instantaneous mpg and keeping increasing the accelerator position until I hit a specific mpg of say 35 mpg uphill and will not add any more power. Of course it depends on the grade and traffic conditions around me.

Keep playing with it and see what works for you.

One other point. The cruise control does a pretty good job on flat areas and small downgrades. Larger upgrades are the problem with the cruise control. Try putting the cruise control on and keep track of the scan gauge in the flat or downhill areas. Many times it does a nice job locking in the appropriate ignition levels until you must go uphill!

WaltD likes this.
  12. Madduck

Madduck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's correct.

13. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see. In a way I've been currently doing a similar method using kw instead of ignition timing. Following the BFSC chart in Hobbit's "sweet spot" article, I've been driving between 10kw - 13kw as indicated on the BFSC chart for a 1.8L engine (a Gen 3 Prius). I'll used 10kw - 12kw on flat or slight incline areas, and 13kW when I need some power for a hill. This also is a range of around 1250 - 1900 RPM. I try not to exceed 2000 RPM. Do you have any thoughts, suggestions of refinements on this?

14. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You might want to look at the review of wayne's Prius c superhighway test drive in California on cleanmpg's forum. IIRC he modulates his throttle so that the ScangaugeII xgauge LOD is from 70 to 80 while going between 50 to 65 mph using driving with load. A the end of the trip the warmed up Prius c onboard fuel consumption display estimated +80 mpg .

15. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all for your advice. Driving a Prius is a learning experience (that I greatly enjoy). It's good advice and I'll practice with it. Currently, I use kW as my central guide, but I'll also experiment with the other gauges such as ign and LOD. In Atlanta hilly highway traffic, I get good MPG keeping kW between 12kW and 13kW (with 14kW on steeper hills), and using Warp Stealth when possible. On several 50 mile highway trips I've gotten 72 MPG with this kW range. But I would like to see if I can bump my MPG to the 80's, perhaps using ign.

16. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi WaltD, what is the average speed on the straight parts if you keep the engine between 12 and 13kw? I seem to average about 65-67 mpg driving at 60mph held by CC. If you get about the same speed than it might be interresting technique.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After warm-up, choose the mileage by selecting the cruise control speed:
    [​IMG]
    These are easily reproduced using a stock, 2010 Prius on flat roads in similar, dry conditions. Nothing to study or distract from safe driving. There are enhancements:
    • fully inflated tires
    • wheel alignment
    • shift into "N" instead of downhill regeneration . . . using energy flow to detect
    • change transmission oil
    I was about to write "GOOD LUCK" but this basic engineering,
    Bob Wilson

18. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bob, so driving at 60mph and getting 65mpg (indicated so that corresponds to your chart) is the max I can do on flat road?

I was still hoping that I could get more with some special techniques.

this was my first tank but it was heavy raining on one way of about 40miles where I got average of 47mpg.
    Details: Toyota - Prius - Prius - Spritmonitor.de

thank you
    best regards
    Andrej

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually 60 MPG at 60 mph is more accurate assuming no other externals such as head or tail winds or altitude changes. For 65 MPG, 55 mph would work better.

Good luck!

I know the MPG vs mph chart is accurate and reproducible but there are tweaks that can help:
    • low rolling resistance tires at maximum sidewall - make sure to check the odometer calibration
    • wheel alignment (only if off)
    • transaxle oil change and engine oil
    • experimental - partial bumper air inlet block, flush to front to reduce drag at high speed
    But these are going to be in the 1-2% range, at most 1 MPG each. Together, they help but run the experiment and find out.

Bob Wilson

20. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi andrejsvk. 12kW - 13kW gives a steady increase in speed on the straight parts, so there's not an average speed. Here in Atlanta the roads and highways are hilly, so I'm either driving up a hill or down a hill. The 12kW - 13kW seems a good range for Atlanta's hilly roads. On straight parts, the 12kW - 13kW range increases my speed to prepare for a uphill. Also, it seems a good range for the uphill itself, except when the hill is too steep where I increase it to 14kW for a limited time just to peek the hill. (A side note is I'm going to start experimenting with LOD and ignition timing to see if there's a difference). Hope this helps.