1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super Highway Mode and Ignition Timing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WaltD, Aug 24, 2013.

1. andrejsvk

andrejsvk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi WaltD, I have the bluetooth elm327 from ebay on the way (I do not like scangauge due to the cables) so I will try some new techniques. With DWL I was able to achieve 72mpg (indicated) on the highway with avedage speed of 57 (also indicated) and this was actually on the way up.

The problem I have realized is not the highway but the road between city and city. the speed limit is 55. I cannot figure out a good way to drive on these as my average is 65mpg (indicated) and this also includes the passing of vilages with speed of 30. I am thinking that the problem could be the EV use. I usually go from 55 mph to warp then to glide after I go about 35. Then I give it a small EV push until I get out of the village and speed up to 55 (never in the power zone (usually 3/4 of the eco zone). I will try to ecperiment without the EV. Just plain P&G. Maybe I should mention I use 17" wheels with regular tires (no LRR).

best regards

Andrej

2. WaltD

WaltD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Andrej. At 12kW - 13kW my average speed on the highway was also in the mid 50's MPH. When going uphill my speed lowered to high 40's to low 50's MPH (and pushing to 14kW and 1900 RPM). But after cresting the hill, I was able to warp stealth and got 60's MPH. I always keep my RPM between 1200 RPM to 2000 RPM. Since most of my driving is uphill or down hill, I would say that mid 50's is my overall average speed.
    I've been reading some posts on LOD and ignition timing and I want to experiment with these gauges.

3. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    So, for DWL, do I watch Kw (12-13) or LOD (70-80)?

4. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes.

It's a place where your Prius is most efficient at when it needs to run the power plant.

Drive with load , stay under 60 mph if you can, drive during non rush hour in nice weather, and glide as long as you can. - that's the basic recipe for getting really good MPGs on the Highway.
    When the traffic is fast and heavy on the super highway its often not possible to hypermile safely.

Over inflated tires don't help that much at speeds over 60 mph - but removing that roof or ski rack will help. At above 65 mph - aerodynamic drag increases to above 50% of the load on your power plant - and at those speeds aerodynamic modifications like boat tails and rear wheel well skirts start to have a measurable effect.

srivenkat likes this.
  5. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes.

It's a place where your Prius is most efficient at when it needs to run the power plant.

Drive with load , stay under 60 mph if you can, drive during non rush hour in nice weather, and glide as long as you can. - that's the basic recipe for getting really good MPGs on the Highway.
    When the traffic is fast and heavy on the super highway its often not possible to hypermile safely.

Over inflated tires don't help that much at speeds over 60 mph - but removing that roof or ski rack will help. At above 65 mph - aerodynamic drag increases to above 50% of the load on your power plant - and at those speeds aerodynamic modifications like boat tails and rear wheel well skirts start to have a measurable effect.

srivenkat likes this.
  6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a SGII and I have cycled thru all the standard gauges but couldn't find Kw. Is it an XGauge I should add, and if so, can you point me to the details? Thanks.

7. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  8. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the info. I am a little confused with the Kw Vs Load (LOD on SGII). Should I watch both and if so which parameter should I give preference to? If LOD, should I keep it under 80 (but above 70) or over 80 would be better?

Thanks.

10. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOD wins out over total KWh or HP output or GPH energy usage when monitoring for FE.

You focus on the LOD when the ICE is running or pulsing.
    LOD is more precise metric of FE than GPH or RPM or Kwh.

Try keeping the LOD between 70 to 80 if you can but don't worry to much if you can't do it initially.
    When going uphill, I found that anticipating and setting up what the initial velocity should be going into the uphill climb before readjusting your accelerator so that LOD is between 70 to 80 is crucial in getting a sustaining a sensible velocity going uphill with a 2010 Prius. It has taken me a long time to figure out.

Robert Holt likes this.