1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super Highway Mode with Engine Link

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jolly, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've been reading up on SHM. It sounds like I need to be able to see IGN to make the most of this technique. I have the Engine Link app (can't afford SCII) loaded with the Gen 2 presets that came with the app. I can't seem to find anything to indicate that I have an option for IGN for my display screen. Anybody out there who can help me out?

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Timing or timing advance is another name for it.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I looked at the Engine Link Prius_Gen2_US and did not see any IGN PID but I did see an Injector No. 1. If you are looking for verification that the ICE is not burning fuel this may help. The only issue will be whether it will go to zero or not.

I looked at the SGII file for Gen2 and only saw a fuel injection and no IGN timing.

4. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those that don't have any OBDII device to monitor real time data, you can just look at the instantaneous consumption screen and try and keep the MPG bar as high as possible (L/100km as low as possible) at highway speeds. Before, I always keep looking at IGN but got tired because it's "low-resolution" (only a few numbers to monitor -- 12 to 18 to be in the efficient side) vs the instantaneous MPG or consumption readout where you can see instant fluctuations with every change in pedal pressure so you can fine tune it. That's all there is to it, really. :)

5. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info. Just wondering though, when it's on the consumption screen I can't see the arrows and it's my understanding the goal is to only have arrows TO the battery with no battery assistance while accelerating. After all, it appears to me that even when using the SHM mode, one still needs to accelerate once in awhile. Am I making sense on this?

6. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you won't be able to see the Energy screen. But I think the Consumption screen is more helpful because more often than not, when you're at a certain speed and you've managed to keep in place that "Current MPG" bar as high as possible at that speed, you're already doing the "orange-arrow-to-the-wheels-and-occasional-yellow-arrows-to-the-battery"- which is the ideal energy flow at highway speeds. The only time it will send yellow arrows to the wheels is when the HV battery charge is high enough to do so, or when accelerating to assist the ICE and keep the speed up.

I find that when I just read the current MPG or (consumption) screen, I would pull off 98-94MPG equivalent on slight downhill stretches (when not using cruise control for it) and between 65-52MPG on flat to slight uphill stretches.

Yes it's true and does make sense. To pull this off on SHM, your speed will eventually vary up and down long highway stretches -- accelerate going down, and slowly decelerate going up. I only use cruise control on long downhill stretches and cut it off at the middle of going uphills, resorting to steady-to-minute increments in pedal pressure on the way up in order to slowly bleed off my speed. Of course, I make sure that I don't cause inconvenience to other drivers.

I now only glance at IGN to know where the ICE is during the initial warm-up stages.

hope this helps :)

7. Jolly

Jolly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That was very helpful. Thank You!

Agent J likes this.