1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super Long Life Coolant Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheWiredWorld, Aug 12, 2015.

1. TheWiredWorld

TheWiredWorld New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done a lot of googling, with one hit from this website itself, but it seems to be that people are pointing to this:

ZEREX 675130 Asian Vehicle Antifreeze, 1 Gal

You can find it by googling "Zerex Asian". It seems to have the exact same specs. Has anyone used it?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reviews on Amazon seem positive and indicate it can be used as a substitute for Toyota's SLLC:

3. TheWiredWorld

TheWiredWorld New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, xlide. I've read, I think on priuschat, that the color is just an additive for dealers to identify. Do you know if that's true? If it's the exact same thing, then you wouldn't have to worry about corrosion.

4. TheWiredWorld

TheWiredWorld New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know if you have to flush when changing to this stuff? Or is it the same thing?

I know you flush with using other types, but does anyone know if this stuff is LITERALLY the same thing? And thus, no flushing required?

#4 TheWiredWorld, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much are you saving? hardly seems worth it.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You don't flush, regardless of brand. Just screws up your percent, leaves tap water in the system, and worst of all, for shade tree changers: runs ethylene glycol and the additive package into the local streams. And why go with another brand? Mixing additive packages may work out, then again it may not. Toyota strongly recommends to use their stuff, why rock the boat?

Also, I would not take this on without a thorough read through the Repair Manual. I've been doing Hondas for years, just did a Civic Hybrid a few months back. But the Prius is a little special, I'm probably just going to hand it over to the dealership, not worth the aggravation/risk.

valde3 likes this.
  7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Zerex Asian (Amazon) is $14.77; possibly no tax for you, and free ground shipping if you have AmazonPrime membership.
    Genuine Toyota SLLC is $15.33 from AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway (Houston, TX); Internet Price.
    $.56 difference, w/o tax. If you can't afford this, just wait till other price components require replacement.

Maybe other Toyota dealers near you will match the above Toyota dealership's online price?
    Type this part number into the search: 00272-SLLC2
    2007 Toyota Prius Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

#7 exstudent, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    JerryCS likes this.
  8. TheWiredWorld

TheWiredWorld New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow I didn't know they had an internet price. I was basing it off of both in-store and Amazon, where it's like $24.99

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That price may not be available over the counter, and I doubt you want to pay for shipping...

10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If AutoNation Toyota is close to you, just call and ask or drop in, to findout if they will give you the internet price as will-call pick-up.

I always call and ask the dealers near me, with online sites, if they can match Camelback Toyota's (Phoenix, AZ) price for the items I want. They seem to be the cheapest for most items I have looked into. Camelback charges $14.74 for one gallon of SLLC. Unfortunately, these local dealers won't price match. However, I get their online price no questions asked. Before I hang-up, I write the name of the person who I spoke to, and as him to set the parts aside, as I will be there in the next minutes or an hour. Never experienced a bait and switch yet: promised their online price, but attempted to charge full retail.

The cheapest price available to me for SLLC is 16.35.

If you get the coolant from AutoNation Toyota, consider keeping a spare inverter pump on hand. Mine went out prematurely (40,000 miles, 4yrs,7mos), assuming the dealer replaced the original pump durring the LSC (Limited Service Campaign) for the pump. I could not believe the three closest dealers near me did not keep one pump in stock.

#10 exstudent, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015