1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super low mileage, constant noise while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusMikeAZ, Oct 17, 2015.

1. PriusMikeAZ

PriusMikeAZ Junior Member

I have a 2006 with about 105,000 miles on it. In the last 6 months my mileage went from an average of 42MPG to 36MPG. There is a constant buzz/click/motor noise that happens about every 7-10 seconds. In April, I replaced my Hybrid battery (with only 101,000 miles) with a rebuilt one. But, the mileage drop happened before I replaced it.

I'm concerned about this noise and it's annoying. You're driving and you just hear it. Doesn't matter if the AC is on, if I'm in EV mode only, or what. You can almost set a watch to the timing of it. Doesn't matter how long I've been driving either, not an engine heating up issue in other words.

But I'm more concerned that my mileage is a pathetic 36.

I do mostly short drives, but even when I do longer freeway driving, it only gets maybe 38MPG. I used to get 56MPG when cruising at 75MPH for long distances.

I live in AZ, it's not cold EVER, so it's not a cold engine issue. It's FLAT here, like FLAT, so it's not a hill issue. I use Mobile 1 0W-30 Full Synthetic oil (which I've used for YEARS), I use fuel injector cleaners every 3 months or so. (usually Chevron w/Techron brand).

I feel like a pump or some sort of electronic is failing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it does sound like a pump, maybe the brake accumulator. is it similar to the buzz when you open the drivers door? you may want to check for trouble codes, do you do your own work?